PDA

View Full Version : IC-7000 Problem

K7UF
12-28-2008, 04:26 PM
As the astute reader will have gathered from my question about how long the Icom warranty is on (US) IC-7000's, mine (23 months old) has developed a problem which it looks like requiring a trip back to Icom to fix.

I am just wondering if anyone has seen this problem before, and has any idea where the fault lies:

The IC-7000 was sitting monitoring 80m. At some point I realized that it had gone quiet. Very quiet.

Now it doesn't receive or transmit.

On receive there is no sound at all (still get the af amp 'pop' when it is switched on). There is also no indication of any signal or noise on the signal strength meter.

On transmit, when the PTT is pressed, the ALC goes to full scale, but there is zero RF output.

Apart form not transmitting or receiving, everything seems to work just fine, except the voice synthesis - press the button an nothing happens.

A CPU reset doesn't fix the problem.

Anyone ever seen anything like this?

K7MH
12-28-2008, 05:10 PM
4,164 people who own, or are interested in the IC-7000 are here;

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ic7000/?v=1&t=search&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=group&slk=1

If they do not know anything about it you are doomed!!

K7UF
12-28-2008, 06:22 PM
4,164 people who own, or are interested in the IC-7000 are here;

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ic7000/?v=1&t=search&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=group&slk=1

If they do not know anything about it you are doomed!!

I suspect I am doomed to spending a bunch of money with Icom support.

Thanks for the pointer, I had forgotten about that group, I actually signed up for it when I first got the IC-7000.

I just posted the question there as well.

K7UF
12-28-2008, 07:59 PM
After poking around on the Yahoo board, I found a few instances of problems sounding remarkably like mine.

Seems that the fix is a new logic board ... at $650 :eek:

That's almost the price of a new IC-7000 - they have been down to $999 recently.

This was a Christmas present I could have done without.

N4CR
12-28-2008, 08:32 PM
After poking around on the Yahoo board, I found a few instances of problems sounding remarkably like mine.

Seems that the fix is a new logic board ... at $650 :eek:

That's almost the price of a new IC-7000 - they have been down to $999 recently.

This was a Christmas present I could have done without.Let me know if you want to sell it for parts.

K7MH
12-28-2008, 09:40 PM
Seems that the fix is a new logic board ... at $650

The big question is what could have caused the problem!?

I think I'll keep my 706 Mk2!

K7UF
12-28-2008, 10:06 PM
The big question is what could have caused the problem!?

I think I'll keep my 706 Mk2!

Seems these things just decide to stop working at random times.
There were apparently a bunch of these that didn't work from new, or very shortly thereafter. Others have taken longer for the problem to appear.

I did read one posing from someone who had a new board and was told it was a "new version", and that after that was installed the rig ran much cooler.

Its probably a problem that Icom know about, but don't publicly admit.

KD4MOJ
12-29-2008, 03:21 PM

Dang.... who had them that low??????? I would have bought one! HRO has them listed for $1149 at the moment...

Mojo

WA6MHZ
12-29-2008, 06:17 PM
The best answer is to PUT IT ON EBAY!!!!

State that it doesn't work and you don't know what is wrong.
(no lies there, 100% honest!)

Watch the bidders go CRAZY on it.

You should make enough on bids to buy a nice new one. No kidding!

That is because of the strange phenomoma called "Maybe I can FIX IT" syndrome.

Many hams out there think they are excellent Radio Technicians and can fix any radio no matter what is wrong with it.

There is the "CHALLENGE" of conquering the problem. They will pay dearly just for the opportunity to try. Even more than buying the radio brand new!

Then, in the last few seconds, the Nuclear Snipers will have at it, bidding far far above what it could ever possibly be worth JUST to be sure they win. When 2 Nuclear Snipers bid, the resulting sell price is just RIDICULOUS!!!!!

So, sit back and enjoy the ride. Maybe you can get a 756 PRO III for what you sell the broke 7000 for!

K7UF
12-29-2008, 06:42 PM
You are probably right. I have seen the prices crap goes for on ebay sometimes.

Its on its way to Icom now.

Anyone know if there is any sort of warranty on the work they carry out?

KG6IYX
02-22-2009, 10:14 PM
I have a brand new IC-7000, maybe less than 4 hours on it. Was monitoring on 20 meters and turned the unit off to make some coffee. Turning it back on.. the same problem. No beeps, no receive, and full ALC during transmit! Very frustrating. Will contact ICOM Monday.

As the astute reader will have gathered from my question about how long the Icom warranty is on (US) IC-7000's, mine (23 months old) has developed a problem which it looks like requiring a trip back to Icom to fix.

I am just wondering if anyone has seen this problem before, and has any idea where the fault lies:

The IC-7000 was sitting monitoring 80m. At some point I realized that it had gone quiet. Very quiet.

Now it doesn't receive or transmit.

On receive there is no sound at all (still get the af amp 'pop' when it is switched on). There is also no indication of any signal or noise on the signal strength meter.

On transmit, when the PTT is pressed, the ALC goes to full scale, but there is zero RF output.

Apart form not transmitting or receiving, everything seems to work just fine, except the voice synthesis - press the button an nothing happens.

A CPU reset doesn't fix the problem.

Anyone ever seen anything like this?

KJ4ITS
11-14-2009, 08:51 PM
I seem to be having the same problem. Bought 2 of these from a guy who had never used one of them. Had been mounted on the bench, and never had power or antenna hooked up.

The weird thing is, out of 20-30 power cycles, I can get it to work once, and then once I turn it off, it won't work when I turn it back on.

got to see if the new warranty card is in the box, maybe it isn't old enough that I can get the warranty to repair it.

Very bummed spending this much money on 2 radio's and one doesn't even work.

full ALC, but no power out, and no receive audio whatsoever at any squelch.

KA0GFC
05-27-2010, 01:41 PM
I have 2 Icom 7000 rigs and one of mine just started doing the same thing. Has anyone heard any further on this? Is it a known issue @ Icom? Very frustrating to have this much in a rig that hasn't been used much at all. I too can power cycle it numerous times to get it to work. New logic board the only fix? Thanks! Chuck KA0GFC

KA9MOT
05-27-2010, 02:11 PM
Ahhhh....more problems in Icomville. IC-706, IC-746, IC-756 plus many others. I learned my lesson early with Icom.

VE3FMC
05-28-2010, 01:29 AM
:eek:

My 7000 is not a year old. Makes me think I should list it for sale. I am going to buy a FT-950 in two weeks so I really do not need the 7000 other than for digital. Which I could do with the FT-950 with a new Signalink cable.

ad: udcsys-1