PDA

View Full Version : best way to remove wire insulation?

N4QET
12-26-2008, 01:59 AM
I am in the process of bonding my ground system together and have been given some #6 wire but it is insulated. I would like to remove the insulation for a better effect before it is buried. I thought of coiling the wire and burning it off. Is there a better way or does burning harm the wire for my purposes?

KJ4AUR
12-26-2008, 02:05 AM
Removed May 07, 2009

AC0FP
12-26-2008, 02:17 AM
I am in the process of bonding my ground system together and have been given some #6 wire but it is insulated. I would like to remove the insulation for a better effect before it is buried. I thought of coiling the wire and burning it off. Is there a better way or does burning harm the wire for my purposes?

I have always thought of the insulation as a positive when talking about radials, or any other antenna wire for that matter! just strip the ends to made a good DC connection and have fun! :) Others may have a different opinion.

Frank :)

AI6DX
12-26-2008, 02:25 AM
Burning will make the insulation stick and char all over the copper, more than likely. Then again it may not, depending on the type of insulating material that was used.

I've taken a long box cutter knife and actually held the wire down on the concrete floor while slicing right down the long piece of cable/wire's insulation. Then I turned the wire over 180 degrees and sliced another long cut down the insulation again, from tip to tip.

Next, I finally just pealed the now two pieces of insulation right off the thick wire. Less messy than burning.

KG4ZAR
12-26-2008, 03:30 AM
I'd stay away from burning the insulation off. Not only does burning give off some downright nasty smelling fumes,it releases several polloutants and is against the law in most places. Add to that the fact excessive heat tends to alter the properties of the copper and it all adds up to a bad idea.

Far better to use a sharp knife and cut the insulation off only where you need to tie onto. I like the added safety of the insulation even on my ground circuits.

Larry

N9JRN
12-26-2008, 03:48 AM
2 words "POTATO PEELER"

W6GQ
12-26-2008, 04:36 AM
ooops nevermind

KE7VZW
12-26-2008, 06:44 AM
Removing the insulation won't have any effect whatsoever I wouldn't think ?

I'd leave it on......

N5XH
12-26-2008, 06:48 AM
When I have needed to remove insulation from long lengths of wire, I have found it easiest to use a sharp blade held against, and perpendicular to, the wire to cut a slice out of the insulation for a few inches or a foot on one end, then grab the loose insulation and pull it off, like skinning a squirrel.

W1SDM
12-26-2008, 07:35 AM
Using a sharp knife works fine, but can get tedious and there is always the chance for injury.

I would think something like a cable slitter (a couple of them shown here : http://www.starkelectronic.com/eclstrip.htm) would make quick work of it...

Tom / W1SDM
http://www.slowscantv.org/

Better living through methylchloroisothiazolinone...

AI6DX
12-26-2008, 07:56 AM
Not only does burning give off some downright nasty smelling fumes,it releases several polloutants and is against the law in most places.
Well, if it annoyed "tree huggers," I'd say: burn away!!! :D:D:D

K9KJM
12-26-2008, 09:30 AM
First, Find out what kind of wire it is. IS it pure copper??? If so, Congratulations on a great find!

Next, What kind of insulation? Do try something like a handi knife as suggested. Tie one end of the wire to a tree or something and pull it tight and just try to run the knife along it to zip the insulation off.
That will work well with most modern day types of insulation, but will NOT work with the older cloth/tar type insulations.

IF it is indeed solid #6 copper, Burning the insulation off will work as a last resort. You should have a nice large, HOT campfire of wood going and then toss the wire roll on the fire. As pointed out, This is illegal in many areas now........ Dont stand downwind from the burning insulation fumes!

Burning is something to be done out in the country, Far from other homes.

W8JI
12-26-2008, 11:38 AM

While stripping it might have some effect for very low frequencies like 60 Hz, it will have much less effect for lightning or RF. I'm sure it would be a bit better stripped, but that might not matter in most cases.

I'm afraid you will probably have to manually strip it. Just use a sharp knife and draw the wire past the knife on a hard surface. It might work best if you slice it lengthwise.

73 Tom

K8ERV
12-26-2008, 02:46 PM
Sell just the insulation on Ebay, as a DIY project---

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

AC0YW
12-26-2008, 03:17 PM
There are a lot of conditions that apply to a bare ground conductor, the first is soil pH. Is the #6 stranded, or solid? My first thought is: don't bother, your insulation will not degrade the grounding capability of the network if left on, and will extend the conductor life as a plus. Most industrial bonding systems use lead covered 350 and 500mcm Cadwelded(exothermic) to the structural steel and engineered ground rod placement. Cathodic protection of "tank farm" vessels also use lead covered copper conductors as well.

AC2GM
12-26-2008, 03:43 PM
As per NEC if you are discussing bonding ground rods together:

Bonding conductors shall be ASTM B8 bare stranded copper, except that sizes 6 mm˛ (10 AWG) and smaller shall be ASTM B1 solid bare copper wire.

For equipment grounds, insulated wire is acceptable, but bonding together your primary and supplemental grounds should be with bare wire.

ad: HROutlet-2