PDA

View Full Version : First Chinese HF rig out of the chute? And look at the list of features!

N7BUI
11-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Amateur band:
1.8 - 2.0
3.5 - 4.1
6.9 - 7.5
13.9 - 14.5
20.9 - 21.5
28 - 30

(GENE)
0.1 - 2.5
2.5 - 4.0
4.0 - 7.7
7.5 - 14.5
14.5 - 21.5
21.5 - 30

1st IF:43.6 MHZ
2nd IF:9 MHZ
FM 3rd IF:455KHz
with:
AGC
AGC OFF
IF GAIN adjustment
RIT
SSB
CW
AM(receive)
FM

http://cgi.ebay.com/TH2000A-Dual-Conversion-HF-transceiver-Kit_W0QQitemZ280286054495QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item280286054495&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I have written them an email asking for further info and if there is a manual written in English. Price seems ok for a kit, but it's probably a glorified CB rig with a name like "Thunder" on the front panel. But the frequency range listed would cover all of HF. No real features listed. I'm sure Copper Electronics will have them shortly!

KA4DPO
11-16-2008, 08:02 PM
The ad says "will ship by EMS". Does that mean the paramedics will bring it to your house? I never heard of EMS so that just sounded kind of weird.

The price isn't too bad but it sounds like you get bare circuit boards and a bunch of parts. Given the quantity of components and the fact that many of them are surface mount it might be a difficul job to put it together unless it comes with very detailed instructions and a good schematic. I would also question if the boards are marked and if so, are they marked in English. My Chinese is not too good.

I also didn't see anything that looks like output transistors so I would ask what the power output is.

W7KKK
11-16-2008, 08:07 PM
No specs either~~~
I see the store is located in Canada.
I wonder if this thing is even type accepted by the FCC?:rolleyes:

AD5MB
11-16-2008, 08:09 PM
From another listing by tha same guy...

Some receiver don't power up for quite a long time, so when you power on, some of them doesn't show the frequence. It's not a problem, keep plug it and power on/off couple times, it will OK! (Receiver are working!)

RRRING...RRRING

Golden Dragon. You want take out or reservation?

Uhh..tech suport?

Velly good. Thunder 2000 or...

N7BUI
11-16-2008, 08:09 PM
This is a translated page from Google so the English isn't particularly great.

TH2000A the start (2007-02-28 09:16:22) Category: electricity had been addicted

TH2000A is BD6RA design of the Amateur shortwave radio package.
In doing this package, I do have a number of packages, including the four-band, DDS package, KN712, KN900, KD830. HAM also produced manually adjusted days, standing wave, and so on.
BD6RA early four-band is designed package, about a 10-year history, is the separation of the basic things, a lot of cable, I can see faint. Other packages are the basic design of the past few years, the use of a double-sided PCB, SMD components and a lot of dedicated IC, the circuit has become a lot concise. You are all but designed with full consideration of HAM's ability to produce as much as possible to reduce debugging difficult to ensure the success rate of production of the package. I also for the DIY radio produced a good chassis.
TH2000A is the whole set of short-wave radio frequency band of secondary packages. PCB board and many components, light on the coil in 45 weeks, I do a coil around the eyes are spent. At present, the production of the basic package has been finished, leaving a shortfall of several key components. Buji received, and other components after the commissioning of the power-on.
According to the next a few photos to admire.
Comments (0)

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_4bae372801000d9a.html&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=2&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3DTH2000A%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3 DG

KB3PXR
11-16-2008, 08:11 PM
EMS is a Chinese Shipping company, haven't heard any bad things about them. I tried googling and the only information I could find is that it was designed by a Chinese ham BD6RA. I put his call into QRZ, but found nothing. I put his call into google and only got Chinese results and Chinese results that showed up under English results. Also the pages I tried would not translate with Google. EDIT: This thread is moving fast more details have been posted above.

KA4DPO
11-16-2008, 08:29 PM
I don't know about the radio but the boy has some hot Chinese babes tagged on his site...:D

Who care about ladio???:p

N7BUI
11-16-2008, 08:53 PM
Again translated by Google. But looking at the date of 10/15/2008 this radio seems to have a few issues.

quote]
My three free repair SSB voice, there is the issue of power output

As the saying goes, Liang Yi-cheng ill for a long time, Liang Yi can not say, however, have met three times this problem, SSB no voice, high-power output, but also gave a cure, some as much as the Wu.

For the first time, in order to repair PA board, the PA from the board to iron out inside the box, installed after the bottom, the problem comes, a boot, no matter what mode as long as the firing, there is full power output. Jia. Because this is the first time to deal with such problems, not to gain the upper hand. Can not be judged in the end is contained in or omitted from the shock. This disconnect, disconnect it, toss nearly a week. Finally, the well-PA board to the box at the bottom of the recovery, the perfect shield, the problem could disappear naturally. For the first time there's no signal power output can be satisfactorily defined as: self-excited. PA board shield caused by the non-performing self-excited.
Second, to the transformation machine FM SQL. After the transformation, there no matter what mode as long as the firing, appeared full power output. At that time, there is no doubt is related to SQL circuit. Toss very painful. Later, to almost gave up. FENGCHUILAI students came to my house, together rule out the possibility. Check out the problem is to launch FM module, as long as I have fired electricity, the release of a strong FM signal. No matter what mode, into a model of FM signal output. Would have thought it was local FM signal to control short-circuit, in order to find that the root of this copper-related areas off five times and finally found the new SQL circuit, I do not know why, once launched, charged 1.36V, leading to a power FM transmitter module. After the demolition, the fault disappeared.
SSB signals without the second, firing, is defined as FM module was improper electricity, as long as the lead entering the state fired on the launch of full-power FM signal.

Third, what happened yesterday. 7MLSB mode of times, there are about 10 watts of output signal. 2VR5 modulation balance adjustment variable resistor, the output power can be reduced to about 5 watts, but can not be resolved completely. 2VR5 the complete removal of output power or about 5 watts.

LSB inspection mode BFO frequency signal. 8.99864, from the theory 140HZ difference. North Korea and is the center of the frequency offset, containing suspected leak triggered. Hard heart, in the original 10pf on the basis of the resonant capacitor, plus a 20pf capacitance, BFO frequency down to 8.99834, the test launch, set out to reduce leakage to about 0.5 watts. Met.
Third, no signal, power output, defined as above, in the true sense of the leak is contained.

Another problem is that it is difficult to explain that the leakage occurred in only contained 7M, and only the LSB mode. Mode transformation, changes in the band, are no longer occur. This problem, when I students, appears to be a clear explanation.
[/ quote]

**** Hidden Message *****

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://bbs.iouter.com/archiver/tid-9107.html&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=3&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dth2000a%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26clie nt%3Dopera%26rls%3Den%26hs%3D6ho

W9MAV
11-16-2008, 08:57 PM
One ugly radio.

K8YZK
11-16-2008, 09:01 PM
Pick one from column A, one from column B, and with two, you get egg roll.

W9MAV
11-16-2008, 09:03 PM

Uhm could I get some steamed rice with some orange chicken?

W5KLB
11-16-2008, 09:20 PM

You forgot to add that you get a free fortune cookie and chop sticks with every purchase. :p :D

K4AX
11-17-2008, 01:38 AM
ham radios are not type accepted, it is a kit, and you as a licensed amateur are responsible for the signal purity of your equipment.

No specs either~~~

KC4YLV
11-17-2008, 01:54 AM
this sounds weird but i would almost be attracted to it if it were a 60/30/17/12 meter radio...dunno.

NA0AA
11-17-2008, 01:57 AM
I'll bet building one of those would be "an Adventure in Radio" indeed. The fact that two different designs are shown makes me wonder what, if any, case they might provide.

The black one did not have a tuning knob, you think it's by up-down button? That would not work very well for most of us.

But at that price, a throw away portable?

I do like that they included the complete parts list - I wonder if you get a bag of parts and a naked board?

To parapharse Pirsig: "Assembly of Chinese Radio require great peace of mind".

NO6L
11-17-2008, 02:53 AM
Ewe. No thank you. I'll just stay with what I've got, for now.

N7BUI
11-17-2008, 03:57 AM
I did get a response from them today. They promised an English manual in a week posted to their website(?). Also power output is 15 watts.

I'll bet KG6WOU is right though. You probably get a bag of parts, a surface mount board, and instructions on the website.

K7MH
11-17-2008, 04:40 AM
The picture is shown as a finished transceiver!!!

Anyone else notice a couple small problems with the "finished transceiver"??:confused::confused::confused:

KB3LAZ
11-17-2008, 06:38 AM
One ugly radio.

You got that right! There is not enough liquor in the world for me to take that home at the end of the night.

KB3LAZ
11-17-2008, 06:40 AM
The ad says "will ship by EMS". Does that mean the paramedics will bring it to your house?

:D............

KC9IUX
11-17-2008, 11:03 AM
Anyone else notice a couple small problems with the "finished transceiver"??

You mean the big holes where controls should be?

AE4FA
11-17-2008, 11:28 AM
I wonder if they supply a can of lead based paint for the cabinet.

BD4EP
11-17-2008, 01:46 PM
EMS means "Express Mail Service", it a service running by Chinese government owned Post office, it's realiable. don't worry about that. Just like DHL, Fed.

I've not seen any information in Chinese, so I think this should be a DIY rig made by the seller himself.

The ad says "will ship by EMS". Does that mean the paramedics will bring it to your house? I never heard of EMS so that just sounded kind of weird.

The price isn't too bad but it sounds like you get bare circuit boards and a bunch of parts. Given the quantity of components and the fact that many of them are surface mount it might be a difficul job to put it together unless it comes with very detailed instructions and a good schematic. I would also question if the boards are marked and if so, are they marked in English. My Chinese is not too good.

I also didn't see anything that looks like output transistors so I would ask what the power output is.

KA4DPO
11-17-2008, 04:31 PM
EMS means "Express Mail Service", it a service running by Chinese government owned Post office, it's realiable. don't worry about that. Just like DHL, Fed.

I've not seen any information in Chinese, so I think this should be a DIY rig made by the seller himself.

Thanks, I had never heard of EMS shipping but if the Chinese government runs it I'm sure they are reliable since they have been known to shoot people for screwups. I think the kit maker probably left the rotary controls out on purpose. He may assume that since they are pots they are readily available. I really would like to hear from anyone who builds one of these.

WA7KKP
11-17-2008, 04:47 PM
I remember when Yaesu was a dirty word to say, among the US made hamgear in the 70's.

Now, only Ten-Tec builds ham gear -- the whole industry has moved offshore.

Lots of good equipment out there, without having to support Beijing.

Gary WA7KKP

N7WR
11-17-2008, 06:00 PM
Liang Yi-Cheng cannot answer not because sick but because tossed in jail for trying make profit. Only profit allowed to Chinese government.

Seriously folks most of the radios (kit or otherwise) coming out of China are junk, and not the boat type junk either. Want to build a kit? There are U S kit makers with far more reliable and tested products.

G4ILO
11-17-2008, 06:11 PM
I did get a response from them today. They promised an English manual in a week posted to their website(?).

That'll be a first, then. I've never yet seen a Chinese product with English instructions that are actually comprehensible.

NK2U
11-17-2008, 06:29 PM
Amateur band:
1.8 - 2.0
3.5 - 4.1
6.9 - 7.5
13.9 - 14.5
20.9 - 21.5
28 - 30

(GENE)
0.1 - 2.5
2.5 - 4.0
4.0 - 7.7
7.5 - 14.5
14.5 - 21.5
21.5 - 30

with:
AGC
AGC OFF
IF GAIN adjustment
RIT
SSB
CW
AM(receive)
FM

http://cgi.ebay.com/TH2000A-Dual-Conversion-HF-transceiver-Kit_W0QQitemZ280286054495QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item280286054495&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I have written them an email asking for further info and if there is a manual written in English. Price seems ok for a kit, but it's probably a glorified CB rig with a name like "Thunder" on the front panel. But the frequency range listed would cover all of HF. No real features listed. I'm sure Copper Electronics will have them shortly!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Like a lot of things out of China these days, it probably contains loads of lead and melamine (don't let your children or dogs eat it!)

de NK2U

WB2WIK
11-17-2008, 07:05 PM
That'll be a first, then. I've never yet seen a Chinese product with English instructions that are actually comprehensible.

::Oh, come on!

Many man smoke but Fu Manchu.

AB8MA
11-17-2008, 07:18 PM
This is a translated page from Google so the English isn't particularly great.

electricity had been addicted

Does this mean that the unit comes with it's own electrons?

EI8DRB
11-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Seriously folks most of the radios (kit or otherwise) coming out of China are junk

You've obviously not used one of the Degen/Kaito rigs... they're as good as anything out of the US or Japan, and for substantially less.

KA4DPO
11-17-2008, 08:19 PM

You make the solder ladio to bling to rife much enjoyment from many hour the pleasure of you build. Prease see instluctions.....:D

G0GQK
11-17-2008, 10:36 PM
I'll tell you one thing it won't be acceptable to the EU and I doubt the FCC will smile on it.

G0GQK

WU8Y
11-18-2008, 03:38 AM
Way to ...enhance international goodwill (http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2004/octqtr/47cfr97.1.htm), guys.

K7MH
11-18-2008, 03:44 AM
Way to ...enhance international goodwill (http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2004/octqtr/47cfr97.1.htm), guys.

Then YOU enhance good will and the failing economy over there and BUY one!!

WA9CWX
11-18-2008, 10:33 PM
They have had a whole BUNCH of programs on the History and Discovery channels lately on just how GREAT China's history is.

They had invented just about everything before we even existed.

Had tremendous advances in Engineering, Astronomy, Agriculture, Art, Music, Philosophy, Politics, Military Science, etc, etc.

They are MASTERS of Mining, metallurgy, food science, electricity, hydro, nuclear, and solar power,
Psychology, Medical care (Traditional AND Western), Space exploration, manufacturing, garment making, micro-technology, music and Social Science.

HOW can you people be SO cynical of a beautiful new innovative design simply because it has a few Engrish addicted electrons and missing controls and no power output ?

Have you people LOST your little red books ??

RV3APM
12-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Here link with photo
http://www.qsl.net/bd6cr/thunder/

WB2WIK
12-11-2008, 08:46 PM
The photos make the rig look like a disaster. Similar "technology" to our kits of 20-30 years ago.

N2RJ
12-11-2008, 09:59 PM
They have had a whole BUNCH of programs on the History and Discovery channels lately on just how GREAT China's history is.

They had invented just about everything before we even existed.

Had tremendous advances in Engineering, Astronomy, Agriculture, Art, Music, Philosophy, Politics, Military Science, etc, etc.

They are MASTERS of Mining, metallurgy, food science, electricity, hydro, nuclear, and solar power,
Psychology, Medical care (Traditional AND Western), Space exploration, manufacturing, garment making, micro-technology, music and Social Science.

HOW can you people be SO cynical of a beautiful new innovative design simply because it has a few Engrish addicted electrons and missing controls and no power output ?

Have you people LOST your little red books ??

My question is if they invented and discovered all of this stuff, what happened after?

W2PHD
12-11-2008, 11:15 PM
Amateur band:
1.8 - 2.0
3.5 - 4.1
6.9 - 7.5
13.9 - 14.5
20.9 - 21.5
28 - 30

(GENE)
0.1 - 2.5
2.5 - 4.0
4.0 - 7.7
7.5 - 14.5
14.5 - 21.5
21.5 - 30

with:
AGC
AGC OFF
IF GAIN adjustment
RIT
SSB
CW
AM(receive)
FM

WOW..........BIG WHOOP! A ham transceiver from China.....Dim Sum, rather Sum Dim Wit!
All this from years of outsourcing of US companies to offshore companies, making inferior products shoved on the American public in favour, not of the American worker, but of the stockholders and executives of said companies.

By the way, the two US companies that initiated all of this outsourcing back in 1989 was Enron and Kodak, that should tell a lot about sticking it to the US workers.

The Chinese see that the US will accept any and all junk they produce; all for saving a few bucks, which helped with sustaining the socioeconomic disaster now in effect. Now herein lies the paradox: The population cries foul play when Chinese/offshore products are sold here due to unfair trade agreement policies put into law by elected officials that they vote into office. Further they say that this takes jobs away from the US workers, but companies want to make the cheapest items for the greatest profits for their stockholders. This also makes for the execs getting the huge bonuses they vote for themselves. Bottom line everyone is loyal to the US worker until they see a product like this cheap item and others like it. They then turn into hypocrites and purchase the items, seeming to say damn with what they condemned before as not being loyal. This is all crazy. :eek:
It must be from all of the lead they put in the paint.

I haven't even elabourated on The Chinese not respecting any intellectual property from other nations, especially the good old US of A. However if one were to even think of copying something that they have patented here one would lose their fortune cookies to them.

How you gonna keep em down on the farm; after they've seen the farm?:D

M3KXZ
12-12-2008, 07:45 AM
Japanese, French and German cars, like Japanese radios, are full of innovative features and latest technology. That Chinese rig seems to be the radio equivalent of an American car :D

W8ZNX
12-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Japanese, French and German cars, like Japanese radios, are full of innovative features and latest technology. That Chinese rig seems to be the radio equivalent of an American car :D

sure

coming from somebody that lives in the land of

" LUCAS PRINCE OF DARKNESS "

BD4EP
12-12-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm so disappointed to see this reply. There's a lot of HAM in China making DIY kits and sell to other HAMs or using it by themsleves.

What I want to say here is: Chinese government is not like you imagine. The government should be much better.

Liang Yi-Cheng cannot answer not because sick but because tossed in jail for trying make profit. Only profit allowed to Chinese government.

Seriously folks most of the radios (kit or otherwise) coming out of China are junk, and not the boat type junk either. Want to build a kit? There are U S kit makers with far more reliable and tested products.

W8ZNX
12-12-2008, 10:35 AM

sure
just wait a bit
remember how bad Japanese radios and cars were

just read David Halberstan's
" The Reckoning "

dit dit
mac

KC2UGV
12-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Frank,

I love your sense of humour.:D

So this Chinese guy goes into a Greek diner and orders two flyed leggs. The big brute of a Greek cook tells him to get hell out of there and come back when he can speak English properly. So the Chinese goes home and practices for a month, so much that he masters saying fried eggs instead of flyed leggs. He goes back to the diner and the same cook comes over to take his order. He asks the Chinese fellow what he wants and the Chinese fellow says slowly with a little stutter: TTWO fried eggs..........you gleek plick.:D

To be honest, China is still at the forefront of military thinking. Art of War is required reading for the Officer Academies in the US.

For quite some time, they were much more advanced than we (As westerners) were as far as medicine goes. They had the germ theory about 200 years prior to westerners.

The racism in this thread is amazing. Good way to generate international good will.

A foreign ham (read individual, not company) builds a kit, and immediately "BUY AMERICAN" gets screamed. If a ham in Indonesia offered a Ten-Tec for sale, would you scream "BUY AMERICAN!!" No, you wouldn't.

Sorry guys, but it's a global economy now. And for how it looks, guess what? You can make it look however you like. It's a kit FFS.

KI4ITV
12-12-2008, 02:43 PM
The racism in this thread is amazing. Good way to generate international good will.

Amazing and unfit for what some of us would like to see become a more international forum.
Lately, some very nice hams from China have started showing up on this site and they are routinely bombarded with the knuckledragging comments of closed minded bigots. These comments should be kept in the politics forum or even kept in their own little boxy heads.
Geez.

KJ4AUR
12-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Removed May 07, 2009

NA0AA
12-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Like most things, there's reality, there's image, then there's PR.

As a Gov't, the PRC has a great deal to answer for, primarily in my mind, Tibet. However, that's an opinion. There are many other issues related to the gov't of China that I don't like. Clearly it's a state where freedom of speech and assembly is not respected to the degree that it is in the USA for example.

There are the Manufacturing companies: While I think we can agree that many of the products made in China are good, there is still a great deal of
3rd world about some of the companies and production - witness contamination of foodstuffs with industrial chemicals. Now, in MY mind, those two products belong in separate facilities so they need not mix...

However, the temptation is to let this sort of thing corrupt your view of the average Chinese person, who likely has as little power over the above issues as the average American.

It must be galling to the Chinese to see how everyone else came out of WWII and they got left behind.

K7UF
12-12-2008, 07:43 PM
No specs either~~~

Well, you do know that as a kit, for amateur use, it doesn't have to be, don't you?

BD6RA
01-04-2009, 04:41 AM
Again translated by Google. But looking at the date of 10/15/2008 this radio seems to have a few issues.

quote]
My three free repair SSB voice, there is the issue of power output

As the saying goes, Liang Yi-cheng ill for a long time, Liang Yi can not say, however, have met three times this problem, SSB no voice, high-power output, but also gave a cure, some as much as the Wu.

For the first time, in order to repair PA board, the PA from the board to iron out inside the box, installed after the bottom, the problem comes, a boot, no matter what mode as long as the firing, there is full power output. Jia. Because this is the first time to deal with such problems, not to gain the upper hand. Can not be judged in the end is contained in or omitted from the shock. This disconnect, disconnect it, toss nearly a week. Finally, the well-PA board to the box at the bottom of the recovery, the perfect shield, the problem could disappear naturally. For the first time there's no signal power output can be satisfactorily defined as: self-excited. PA board shield caused by the non-performing self-excited.
Second, to the transformation machine FM SQL. After the transformation, there no matter what mode as long as the firing, appeared full power output. At that time, there is no doubt is related to SQL circuit. Toss very painful. Later, to almost gave up. FENGCHUILAI students came to my house, together rule out the possibility. Check out the problem is to launch FM module, as long as I have fired electricity, the release of a strong FM signal. No matter what mode, into a model of FM signal output. Would have thought it was local FM signal to control short-circuit, in order to find that the root of this copper-related areas off five times and finally found the new SQL circuit, I do not know why, once launched, charged 1.36V, leading to a power FM transmitter module. After the demolition, the fault disappeared.
SSB signals without the second, firing, is defined as FM module was improper electricity, as long as the lead entering the state fired on the launch of full-power FM signal.

Third, what happened yesterday. 7MLSB mode of times, there are about 10 watts of output signal. 2VR5 modulation balance adjustment variable resistor, the output power can be reduced to about 5 watts, but can not be resolved completely. 2VR5 the complete removal of output power or about 5 watts.

LSB inspection mode BFO frequency signal. 8.99864, from the theory 140HZ difference. North Korea and is the center of the frequency offset, containing suspected leak triggered. Hard heart, in the original 10pf on the basis of the resonant capacitor, plus a 20pf capacitance, BFO frequency down to 8.99834, the test launch, set out to reduce leakage to about 0.5 watts. Met.
Third, no signal, power output, defined as above, in the true sense of the leak is contained.

Another problem is that it is difficult to explain that the leakage occurred in only contained 7M, and only the LSB mode. Mode transformation, changes in the band, are no longer occur. This problem, when I students, appears to be a clear explanation.
[/ quote]

**** Hidden Message *****

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://bbs.iouter.com/archiver/tid-9107.html&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=3&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dth2000a%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26clie nt%3Dopera%26rls%3Den%26hs%3D6ho
TH2000A is a dual-conversion multi-band transceiver kit, used with more than 200 resistors, 300 capacitors, 30 transistors, 20 IC's, 80 diodes; besides, 46 canned coils. Many components involved, 2000A is a complicated kit, not very suitable to the beginners. The failure of the construction is usually caused by wrong wiring, wrong assembling of the components, and incorrect winding of the coils.
The problem of the kit of this translatd post was caused by the incorrect power polarity connected to 2000A, several components of main board and PA damaged.

KD7KHG
01-08-2009, 08:15 AM
I'd be interested in seeing one with the display lit or (powered on).
If a powered up picture cant be found I'd be happy to photoshop one. lol

VK2WF
01-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Why do you want buy cheaper and cheaper from another country and put yourself and your fellow countrymen out of work.
Cheaper just for the sake of greed.
Future generations will curse you.

KC2UGV
01-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Why do you want buy cheaper and cheaper from another country and put yourself and your fellow countrymen out of work.
Cheaper just for the sake of greed.
Future generations will curse you.

No, buying cheaper globally lowers prices globally. No one gets put out of work because of that. They get put out of work because their company failed to remain competitive. If the person is skilled enough, they will find another job.

I am nowhere close to being out of work. Why? I remain competitive, and don't expect to be able to do menial tasks and get paid $30/hr + benefits. I am the best at what I do, for the price they (My employer) are willing to pay.

VK2WF
01-10-2009, 05:29 AM
So what, all skilled people have tons of offers, me too

I am not selfish and what I do respect that other people are not as fortunate as me and the understand the current economic situation.

By the way I am part Chinese my wife is full Chinese we have a factory in China and we know.

JT1CS
01-13-2009, 08:05 AM
Chinese Proverb:
Make things NICE but
Not make it GOOD

Two years ago, I purchased nice a pair Kenwood Hand transceiver that made in China for 55.00US each but after two weeks one of them stopped transmitting. I took it back to the store and they kindly replaced with new one. After one month the other one quit transmitting. And same time, the warranty was over. :)

BD4EP
01-13-2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks for explain about that. Yeah, I also agree with your words for food products and toys which have problems. I'm also a father, my daughter is only 2 years old. One CEO of milk manufactory was put in jail several month ago, and China has also recall a lot of toys which have problems. I believe some of the business people have done a lot of wrong things to make more money, but believe me that is not only happenning in China. I think the government is tring to do something to prevent it. As the technology here is not that advance like western countries, and I think most of people are not willing to poison our children, excepting those bad guys.

I don't want to talk about political topics any more here, and I want to stop it here. As this forum is a place for HAMs.

Anyway, I'm feeling great interest in DXing, and it will makes me feel very exciting if I can meet anybody here on air. I normally working on 7M (7.015-7.025 CW, 7.050-7.075 LSB), and 14M (14.250-14.350 LSB)...

Not everyone in the USA feels this way, just like there are some in China that do not hate the USA. I hope I have the pleasure of working you BG4EPV on HF one day and would consider it a great honor.

Some of the anger may be a result of the children's toys saturated by lead paint, the melamine intentionally added in food products like baby formula and chocolate, and the numerous safety recalls by the CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) from products manufactured in China. One child ingested a silver charmed bracelet and died not of intestinal blockage but of lead poisoning! As a father of two children I have banned products manufactured in China and consistently try to support domestic manufacturers at every opportunity. This does not mean I hate the Chinese people. I am disappointed though that this is allowed to happen, it is perceived that the Chinese government is intentionally trying to poison our children.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prerel.xml

BD4EP
01-13-2009, 10:44 AM
Chinese Proverb:
Make things NICE but
Not make it GOOD

Two years ago, I purchased nice a pair Kenwood Hand transceiver that made in China for 55.00US each but after two weeks one of them stopped transmitting. I took it back to the store and they kindly replaced with new one. After one month the other one quit transmitting. And same time, the warranty was over. :)

I've purchased one MFJ-422D electronic keyer paddle 10months ago, which is made in USA. After I received it and connect the battery to it, the kit was demaged, after I replaced the 7805 chip for it, and tested it by using external power supply, it worked fine. But when I connect the battery to it again, it was damaged again. This time, 2 chips were burned, after I check it thoroughly, I found the power line was lead from battery connector to the circult board was soldered wrongly.

I think product in low quality is not the problem for one country, it happens everywhere. Because a lot of products are made in China, their price is more competitive, and there're more people using them.

I'm sorry that I've not heard about that proverb, but we have another one:

There's no best thing, we always make things better.

VE3FMC
01-13-2009, 11:54 PM
No specs either~~~

Ad says location is Jilin, China. I did not see any mention of Canada :confused:

JT1CS
01-15-2009, 02:35 AM
I used to buy very cheap AA Bateries that made in China. Don't know the brand or name of it. Everything was written in Chinese. Those batteries were pretty good quality compairing the price. They lasted about 13 hours on tape Walkman without break. But it is not any more in the market. Cheap staff is not always bad.

I've purchased one MFJ-422D electronic keyer paddle 10months ago, which is made in USA. After I received it and connect the battery to it, the kit was demaged, after I replaced the 7805 chip for it, and tested it by using external power supply, it worked fine. But when I connect the battery to it again, it was damaged again. This time, 2 chips were burned, after I check it thoroughly, I found the power line was lead from battery connector to the circult board was soldered wrongly.

I think product in low quality is not the problem for one country, it happens everywhere. Because a lot of products are made in China, their price is more competitive, and there're more people using them.

I'm sorry that I've not heard about that proverb, but we have another one:

There's no best thing, we always make things better.

ZL3GSL
01-15-2009, 04:20 AM
Sad, isn't it?

A guy in China designs, develops, and sells a kit for a multiband tranceiver. There are probably not many individuals in the world who could do that. It seems that some members of this forum don't approve. He's not American, so it can't be any good.

How many of the "clever" posters who don't like the front panel could even open the box the kit comes in? It's a kit. If I felt strongly about the panel and I built one, I know I could make a new front panel.

Brilliant guy, a credit to the amateur community. Give hime a cheer, not this niggling nastiness.

WU8Y
01-16-2009, 12:42 AM
ZL3GSL: Hear, hear!

KB0NLY
02-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Where is the english version of the manual, i can't find it.

KC2TAU
02-12-2009, 10:56 PM
Sad, isn't it?

A guy in China designs, develops, and sells a kit for a multiband tranceiver. There are probably not many individuals in the world who could do that. It seems that some members of this forum don't approve. He's not American, so it can't be any good.

How many of the "clever" posters who don't like the front panel could even open the box the kit comes in? It's a kit. If I felt strongly about the panel and I built one, I know I could make a new front panel.

Brilliant guy, a credit to the amateur community. Give hime a cheer, not this niggling nastiness.

Agreed and I am also really rather appalled at the racism and half wit thoughts that are the norm in threads like these. I've bought quite a few Chinese portable SW radios and have had nothing but good things to say about them.

KB0NLY
02-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Still can't find it, anyone know where the english version of the manual is available??

Looks like an interesting kit.

W0IW
03-04-2009, 04:08 PM
I Emailed Yimin,
He sent me manual/parts list if you want it.. I am uploading them here.. This gents a Chinese national and he speaks very little English.. But hey looks like for about $250 and some change +/- you can buy a 160-10m ssb transceiver kit/gen coverage rcvr.. which is digital readout.. I don't have a ton of money like a lot of hams thus.. good bad or ugly this would be very fun/economical for me..

The folks making fun of this guy need to figure out not everyone speaks English carries a MasterCard with 10k on it that AES can send them the latest Yaesu for 5k and get a damn life.. and let experimenters and hams without a lot of cash try these rigs out for size before they criticize them..

Grrrrrr

Instead of helping this china ham out make a better more affordable manual/rig you poke at him and the idea and other hams who cannot afford decent rigs and huge inflated damn prices.. because you think its funny...

Joe
KJ0L
25 years hamming and going strong despite the trolls...

WA6MHZ
03-04-2009, 05:52 PM
It used to be Japanese electronics that was considered "JUNK" back in the 60s and American goods were high quality. Now it has shifted to Chinese products, primarily because of the shams people have been dealt in the poison in Dog & cat foods, plus all the stuff at Walmart. I have no problem at all with the Chinese products I have bought. Mostly tools from Harbor Freight, which are much much cheaper than American made & Craftsman, but hold up and do the job just as well. So, as time goes along, the bogus image of cheap and poor quality will go away from Chinese goods as they are shown to be just a good if not better than American. Cars are another example. Japanese & Korean cars are now the most desired in quality, far far over American made "junk" cars by GM, Ford and Chrysler. But the YUGO will always be the Yugo and will go down as the WORST car in history, except maybe for that East German car similar (forget the name, but it was terrible!) For America, we can remember the Pinto, Vega and Pacer. Japanese Radios are the highest quality money can buy now, Chinese can't be far behind.

KB0NLY
03-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Joe,

Thanks for posting the manual and parts list. Looks like a neat kit! Might have to save up and do one of these, worse case if i don't like it i can sell it and move on.. lol

KB2FCV
03-04-2009, 06:32 PM
I'm glad to see there are other hams that are putting kits out there and promoting building. Who cares what country he is from? Ok, so there is a language barrier. Why not do something constructive and help him with some tips on his documentation rather than make fun of him? How many kits have some of you put out?

I took a look at the documentation, there definitely is room for improvement. The manual jumps around and explains very little. It does give a fair amount of info on the coils and a little on construction and setup but leaves much in question. I suggest downloading an elecraft manual and studying it. Elecraft manuals look very similar to heathkit manuals. Both Elecraft and Heathkit had kits that thousands and thousands of hams put together successfully. Why are these two companies very successful? Their manuals are designed so that anyone with basic soldering skills can put them together. They spend alot of time developing the manual. They do their best to describe every aspect, build order, and anything else someone might need to put the kit together. A successful kit is only as good as it's documentation. If the majority of people cannot understand how to put the kit together because of limited documentation, then very few people will buy it.

K4UUG
03-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Amateur band:
1.8 - 2.0
3.5 - 4.1
6.9 - 7.5
13.9 - 14.5
20.9 - 21.5
28 - 30

(GENE)
0.1 - 2.5
2.5 - 4.0
4.0 - 7.7
7.5 - 14.5
14.5 - 21.5
21.5 - 30

with:
AGC
AGC OFF
IF GAIN adjustment
RIT
SSB
CW
AM(receive)
FM

CAN YOU SAY YUCK

http://lolabrigada.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/horse-yuck-copy.jpg

KB0NLY
03-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Have you tried building one, or are you just an appliance operator?? If so then don't pass the horse before checking one out.

At least the guy is trying.

WA6MHZ
03-05-2009, 12:59 AM
I'd just love to buy and build it! Great great fun. But being very impoverished, I can only wish and wish. $270 plus $39 shipping is very pricey for a HF radio. Even unbuillt. I am used to getting them for under $100. But then, they are old tube jobbers.

AB3MV
03-05-2009, 02:46 AM
EMS = Express Mail Service

KA4DPO
03-05-2009, 03:45 PM
I took a pretty good look at this. There are a number of problems with the documentation and build instructions. While the design may be solid it lacks sufficient detail. I also noticed that not all necessary components are provided with the kit. This might be OK for someone who has a good deal of experience building solid state transceivers but it could be a nightmare for a novice kit builder.

The price is attractive but a working 100 watt HF rig can be had for about the same money. Granted it wont have all of the features claimed in this kit but you wont need a large supply of aspirin to go with it either. This is truly a case of paying your money and taking your chances.

N8WFF
04-02-2009, 11:57 PM
Mr. BD6RA, I salute you and applaud you and anyone else regardless of race or nationality that spends the personal time and personal resources to bring your vision of an HF transceiver to life. It is very kind of you to offer it to the rest of the radio amateurs as a kit. I am sure you have a regular job during the day you must work at to support your family, and that you could only work on this at night. I am certain you missed many fun hours of operating on the air because you were soldering.

As the father of the DX2400L1 Prometheus, the worlds FIRST 1500W+ solid state amplifier, I certainly can appreciate that you made an effort. I also remember some of the negative comments expressed about my amplfier in these forums.

"To your own heart remain true". Follow your dream and do not be discouraged by other's negativity. In the end you will know that you did all you could do.

Best 73,
Mike

K4EEZ
04-03-2009, 12:13 AM
This is a QRP radio 10 watts out
for another 250 buxyou could put it towards an icom 706 Mk2 or another decent radio...

K8TJ
04-03-2009, 11:28 AM
FYI folks, EMS is Express Mail Service which is the same as the USPS's Express Mail Service.
Don't knock their equipment until you try one. Their HB1-A 3 band qrp rig blows Elecrafts KX-1 out of the water ! And you can buy the assembled version of this 3 band radio for LESS than the 2 band KIT version of the KX-1 including shipping from China. Nice blue backlit two line LCD digital display. The TH2000A may also be available soon in assembled assembled version. And their STORE is not in Canada, it's their service center. Who cares if it's FCC approved or not ?? Was that last QRP transmitter you built in your shop FCC approved ? All FCC approval does is basically give the manufacturer a reason/permission to charge outrageous prices on the commercial market.
--
Tim, K8TJ
K8TJ@COMCAST.NET
"CW-FOREVER"

WA2DTW
04-03-2009, 04:29 PM
So where are the Chinese hams??

WA5KRP
04-04-2009, 12:22 AM
One ugly radio.

No kidding. But then, here's Sony's first transistor radios exported to the US...

http://blog.makezine.com/P1010001_5_4449.jpg

It takes time to go from concept to utility to elegance.

WA5KRP
Texas

WA6MHZ
04-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Back in their day, I always thought Heathkits were Pricey, and that Hams were paying extra for the privledge of putting it together. Maybe that's why this one is so pricey. Only in Ham Radio do you PAY for the honor that others are PAID to do. Thats why being an Electronic Technician or Assembler is a great job for a ham. You get paid to do what you would PAY to do!!!

If they were about $200 cheaper, I would order one of these just for the fun of putting it together. Not that I need ANOTHER HF rig. I have several hundred parked here to choose from. But it would be SO MUCH FUN to put it together! I wouldn't be scared off by missing parts or poor docs. I have a great stock room here and am an accomplished Homebrewer. In fact, if I had the time and a few of the key pieces that are UNOBTANIUM Stateside, I might just homebrew the radio up.

W6GQ
04-20-2009, 01:10 AM
on sale now

ZL3GSL
04-20-2009, 01:36 AM
Back in their day, I always thought Heathkits were Pricey, and that Hams were paying extra for the privledge of putting it together. Maybe that's why this one is so pricey. Only in Ham Radio do you PAY for the honor that others are PAID to do. Thats why being an Electronic Technician or Assembler is a great job for a ham. You get paid to do what you would PAY to do!!! ...

Heathkit stopped producing kits because it cost more to package up all the parts in individual marked bags and provide full instructions than to make complete factory built equipment, even in the days when boards were stuffed and soldered by hand. It's even worse these days. I don't think there would be much hand rework of the few boards which fail automated tests at the end of totally automatic production lines.

...If they were about $200 cheaper, I would order one of these just for the fun of putting it together. ...See how much the parts would cost you at 1-off prices. Then complain that the kit is too expensive.

N4WSH
04-20-2009, 01:44 AM
I

Really

Liked

The

Never

Ending

Parts

List

Very

Much

!

WA6MHZ
04-20-2009, 04:03 PM
Heathkit stopped producing kits because it cost more to package up all the parts in individual marked bags and provide full instructions than to make complete factory built equipment, even in the days when boards were stuffed and soldered by hand. It's even worse these days. I don't think there would be much hand rework of the few boards which fail automated tests at the end of totally automatic production lines.
See how much the parts would cost you at 1-off prices. Then complain that the kit is too expensive.

I have most of the parts in the Stockroom or junkbox. Just a few of the fancier parts I can't come up with. So they could do like they used to do in QST on some articles. Sell a PCB and unobtanium parts kit; and let the Homebrewer round up the rest.

K2WH
04-20-2009, 11:43 PM
Yeah, but does it understand English?

K2WH

W8ZNX
04-21-2009, 09:56 AM
Back in their day, I always thought Heathkits were Pricey, and that Hams were paying extra for the privledge of putting it together.

not at all
Heathkits were good deal

just price DX-100 vs any other contemporary
100 plus watt CW-AM 160-10 transmitter
check inside a DX-100
all first class parts

you could save a easy 100 bucks

check HW-101 price vs any other contemporary ssb hf rig

Heathkit was lots of bang for you buck

you kids
get the hell off my lawn

mac

the word for today
is CHEESE

KA4DPO
04-21-2009, 01:02 PM
not at all
Heathkits were good deal

just price DX-100 vs any other contemporary
100 plus watt CW-AM 160-10 transmitter
check inside a DX-100
all first class parts

you could save a easy 100 bucks

check HW-101 price vs any other contemporary ssb hf rig

Heathkit was lots of bang for you buck

you kids
get the hell off my lawn

mac

the word for today
is CHEESE

Spread the word but don't cut it......:D

KY5U
04-21-2009, 03:14 PM
Joseph Jiang - BG4EPV
HAM from Shanghai, China!
I'm working on CW, SSB. Sometimes also goes to echolink and SSTV.
Hope can make QSO with you on air someday.
Hey Joseph!

Welcome, and I have been very happy with the electronic things I bought from China. Would love to see pictures of your shack and of the area. The Chinese people have always been our friends regardless of government ideas.

WA9CWX
04-21-2009, 05:59 PM
I have an idea for a great contest,

ALL stations must use this Chinese rig, and an MFJ tuner and a G5RV dipole.
Score extra points if using Radio Shack coax in either station! :D

WA4BRL
04-22-2009, 12:28 AM
Back in their day, I always thought Heathkits were Pricey, and that Hams were paying extra for the privledge of putting it together. Maybe that's why this one is so pricey. Only in Ham Radio do you PAY for the honor that others are PAID to do. Thats why being an Electronic Technician or Assembler is a great job for a ham. You get paid to do what you would PAY to do!!!

If they were about $200 cheaper, I would order one of these just for the fun of putting it together. Not that I need ANOTHER HF rig. I have several hundred parked here to choose from. But it would be SO MUCH FUN to put it together! I wouldn't be scared off by missing parts or poor docs. I have a great stock room here and am an accomplished Homebrewer. In fact, if I had the time and a few of the key pieces that are UNOBTANIUM Stateside, I might just homebrew the radio up.

When Heathkit came out with the AT-1, Novices had several commercially built transmitters to choose from -- at sixty dollars to over one-hundred bucks. This was the early 50s when fifty bucks paid the rent. Fortunately, you could send a thirty dollar check Benton Harbor, and a few evenings' assembly fun whold get you on the air.

Such savings were the norm through to the early seventies, especially thanks to the Hot Watter-100. While SSB transceivers were offered by Drake, Hallicrafters, Swan, and others at 350 to 600 dollars, Heathkit's HW-100 kits were flying out their doors for only $250.

The SB-line was designed and marketed to compete directly against the Collins S-Line -- and it won hands-down! Transmitters, receivers, plug-in VHF transverters, matching speaker, station console, panadapter, monitor scope, linear amplifiers, a transceiver, even an outboard VFO! All were priced way below what Collins wanted for similar items, and rigs in the SB-line performed similarly and were styled to look like the S-line components. You could have it all for about half price if you were willing to put in the sweat-equity of assembling the kits.

The bigger plus you got from building a Heathkit was owning a rig with which you were intimately familiar -- inside and out. They are as easy to break open and repair as they are to build. Gee, I wonder why these old boat anchors have held their value so well for fifty/sixty years? :rolleyes:

ad: SteppIR-1