PDA

View Full Version : DRAKE CC-1

KI4RVP
10-27-2008, 12:34 AM
Need help with hookup and test/operation of CC-1 with 2&6 mtr converters? Thanks, Ken

K9STH
10-27-2008, 03:11 AM
The converters should output to the 10 meter band. That is 50 MHz = 28 MHz on the receiver and 144 MHz = 28 MHz on the receiver.

Although I am not "looking at" a CC-1 the hookup should be the same as with any other VHF receiving converter assembly. From the photo of the front panel at

http://www.wb4hfn.com/DRAKE/DrakeEquipmentPictures/Equip_CC1_Front.htm

it appears that there are 2 crystals in each of the converters. The push/pull knobs on the front panel shift the frequency down 500 kHz on the 6 meter converter and up 1 MHz on the 2 meter converter. On the rear panel there should be 5 coaxial jacks for the following: Receiver antenna jack, 6 meter antenna, 2 meter antenna, an antenna jack for a 3rd converter, and a connection that goes to the HF antenna. You connect the receiver to the receiver connection and the other connections as labeled.

You will need a signal source on the 6 meter band and on the 2 meter band at 50 MHz and 144 MHz. If the source is a signal generator then connect directly to the appropriate antenna jack. If you are using a transmitter then just insert a short wire into the appropriate antenna jack. Turn the CC-1 "on" with the power switch, turn the main dial to the appropriate band, activate the signal source, and then tune the receiver around 28 MHz until you hear the signal. Of course allow a minute, or so, for the converters to "warm up".

If the converters are working then you will hear the signal source in your receiver. If not, then I suggest you obtain a manual. Unfortunately, the manual is not on BAMA nor 6mt.com.

Glen, K9STH

WW3QB
10-27-2008, 03:20 AM
The manual for the 2m converter (SC-2) is available at http://www.wb4hfn.com/DRAKE/DrakeManuals.htm

K9STH
10-27-2008, 06:45 PM
Looking at the manual the i.f. output is 14 MHz to 18 MHz instead of the more normal 28 MHz range. The 10 meter output was generally used more often because of the wider frequency range in most amateur radio only receivers. Also, the higher i.f. reduces the signal of any images received

However, the 14 MHz range was sometimes used for 2 meters because the last digit of the frequency was the same. That is 14 MHz equals 144 MHz, 15 MHz equals 145 MHz, and so forth. I do have a couple AMECO converters that came with the 14 MHz i.f. instead of 28 MHz (or other). However, I generally change the i.f. to either 28 MHz or 26 MHz. The reason for using 26 MHz is that both my Collins 75A-2 and 75A-3 receivers cover 26 MHz to 28 MHz and then 28 MHz to 30 MHz which gives me full coverage of the 50 MHz, 144 MHz, and 222 MHz bands.

Glen, K9STH

ad: elecraft