PDA

View Full Version : Assessing value of old equipment

KD8DES
10-13-2008, 03:51 PM
I have several pieces of old amateur gear and test equipment that I am considering putting up for sale or trade, but I have NO idea what value these articles may have. I would hate to throw a dollar value on an item and sell or trade it, only to later find it was worth MUCH more. Can anyone suggest a source , i.e. automotive "bluebook," where I can find such values ?

K9STH
10-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Almost All Digital Electronics (AADE) has a compilation of eBay prices for a lot of the "boat anchor" equipment. It lists the high, low, and average prices. Now you understand that eBay usually represents the upper end of prices. However, it is a place to start.

http://aade.com/hampedia/prices2.htm

Glen, K9STH

W2KG
10-13-2008, 04:54 PM
I would hate to throw a dollar value on an item and sell or trade it, only to later find it was worth MUCH more.

Usually, it's the other way around! :)

K9STH
10-13-2008, 05:26 PM
It depends on the item as to what it is worth today.

There are items that sold very cheap years ago that are worth a considerable amount these days and there are items that were pretty expensive years ago that are not worth much at all today.

Glen, K9STH

K8ERV
10-13-2008, 05:35 PM
there are items that were pretty expensive years ago that are not worth much at all today.

Glen, K9STH

U talkin bout me?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

W6GQ
10-13-2008, 05:41 PM
I have filled up 7 HUGE PLASTIC TUBS of tubes I got from a SK, all still in the original boxes. I have had them for 3 years now only because there are so many different tubes I do not feel like looking them up.

So just let them sit and let your wife nag at you to get rid of them, and keep moving them around the house. :D

KD8DES
10-13-2008, 06:35 PM
It's not that I WANT to get rid of these items- I just need to make room for MORE junk I don't need!
Many thanks , Glen- the AADE site is exactly what I was looking for. They even have listed a couple of the items I wanted to value.
I'm sure there are many other hams with boxes and basements full of stuff, like me, that they have no idea of it's potential worth.
Maybe the moderators of this wonderful site could start a "What's it worth?" forum????

WA7KKP
10-14-2008, 03:03 PM
[edited].
I'm sure there are many other hams with boxes and basements full of stuff, like me, that they have no idea of it's potential worth.
Maybe the moderators of this wonderful site could start a "What's it worth?" forum????

Well, what something is worth doesn't translate into dollars and cents directly, unless you have the desire just to buy and sell, like the E-bay traders do.

I've seen stuff like the common Motorola Motrac speaker go for well over $100, when you can buy as many as you want for about $5-10 each at just about any hamfest.

And I've bought an R-390 receiver for $75, when its value was about 8 times that -- but the seller didn't want to look at it any more, or haul it around.

Same with a Central Electronics 100-V for $350 -- they're worth about a grand nowdays.

There are some hams who want to pay 10 cents on the dollar for a brand new hermetically sealed ricebox in original box, and there are others who know what the going price is, and price and bid accordingly. The good deals come from those who know how to make the difference in their favor.

Gary WA7KKP

N4CD
10-18-2008, 03:36 PM
a lot has to do with 'value' to collectors

If the radio hasn't been on in 30 years, it will take work to make it work again. Probably 2-10 hours or more of finding and replacing parts like electryolytics, maybe resistors out of tolerance, etc. Rusty connections and bad switches.

Some radios aren't worth much if incomplete (missing dials, broken glass on front panel, missing meter, missing cabinet or parts of cabinet). Some aren't worth much, period.

Others have following of collectors. Anything that says "Collins" is worth money if ham gear.

Some Heath kits in bad condition or missing half the parts are woth $5 or $10. Some in mint condition go for more than original price, and the ultra rare items for sky high prices.

For collectors, condition of the unit, cabinet (dents, scratches, oriiginal knobs, no extra holes) is paramount.

A rusty, moldy, insect infested, smoke residue covered radio isn't worth the time usually to even try to sell.

SO you need to evaluate what you have, what condition it is in, and see what you can get for it.

WA9CWX
10-18-2008, 05:10 PM
Those old unbuilt Heathkits, which required a LOT of work to put together....Are pretty much worthless in today's 'ready to operate out of the box' world.

You could just throw them out if you have any, BUT, I will take them off your hands and dispose of them for you, free of charge!!

Heck, I'll even pay shipping to me.......:D :D :D

One little hint about Ebay...The FINAL price is going to be MUCH MUCH different than the price all week long....DON'T think that because something is at $75 - $100 all week it will SELL for somewhere around there.

The last five minuets on MANY items bring prices soaring upwards.

Good luck on your deals, :)

Frank

K7MH
10-18-2008, 05:17 PM
Do a search for the make and model of the item you have on Ebay. Then put a checkmark in the box for "completed auctions". It will then show if any of that item has been sold in the last month or two and what they sold for. It does vary in price and also condition so you have to look at a few and see what condition they were in but you do get a fair idea of what you can expect to sell it for (on Ebay anyway). If you sell it locally you will probably have to expect somewhat less as you will just not find as many interested parties as you will on Ebay. I have seen reasonably priced ham gear on Craigslist re-listed for weeks that would have been long gone on Ebay. People that expect Ebay prices out of a Craigslist ad will re-list things for months on end.

ad: SteppIR-1