PDA

View Full Version : Power out of Kenwood TS-430S rig

KZ7ZUL
07-02-2008, 01:44 AM
My PDF manual is a bit criptic (as well as overwhelming)... I'm trying to figure out how to adjust the output power from it? My meter reading on my MFJ Versa Tuner (model MFJ-941D) says the output power is around 10-20 watts, but for DXing I'd like to know how to turn up the output power? There is a CAR knob, but I'm not doing CW, so that won't help. I'm just talking in the mic only.
Thanks,
KZ7ZUL
Wes

AB8SG
07-02-2008, 02:05 AM
There is no direct power output adjustment on the TS-430 when in SSB mode. The amout of power out is going to be controlled by the amount of mic gain used. Most SWR / power meters are not going to be fast enough to measure the rapidly rising and falling peaks on SSB mode. Measure your power output in CW mode. If you are getting full power out there, then you probably only need to increase your mic gain setting to increase your power out on phone. Paying attention to the ALC level on voice peaks to avoid overdriving is always needed. I don't currently have my 430, it's out on loan, but it worked quite well with the stock hand mic set at about 10 o'clock with compression turned on. With compression off, I had to turn the mic gain up to 3 o'clock, if I remember correctly. Hope this is helpful to you. Good luck, and enjoy that 430.

AI3V
07-02-2008, 03:54 PM
My PDF manual is a bit criptic (as well as overwhelming)... I'm trying to figure out how to adjust the output power from it? My meter reading on my MFJ Versa Tuner (model MFJ-941D) says the output power is around 10-20 watts, but for DXing I'd like to know how to turn up the output power? There is a CAR knob, but I'm not doing CW, so that won't help. I'm just talking in the mic only.
Thanks,
KZ7ZUL
Wes

You are reading the correct voice power on your meter. about 20 watts is about what the AVERAGE power of the human voice is, with a 100w PEAK power transmitter.

To obtain any more AVERAGE power, you will need to add a amplifier.

Rege

kg4dmc
07-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Also switch your panel meter to the IC position. If your output power is good you will see the meter swing past 10-15 amps intermittently as you speak into the mic.

AI3V
07-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Also switch your panel meter to the IC position. If your output power is good you will see the meter swing past 10-15 amps intermittently as you speak into the mic.

You are not going to be very popular on the band if you are showing 15A IC on voice peaks, on a AVERAGE reading meter!

Expect about 20% of your tune IC, Perhaps 3-5 amps.

Rege

KZ7ZUL
07-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Hmm.. that's a bit dissappointing. I thought that I had some sort of variable switch which I could rotate like the CAR switch, and it would range from 0 to 100 watts output.
OK, well thanks for the feedback guys.
Wes

AG3Y
07-03-2008, 10:24 PM
If you adjust things properly, you ARE getting 100 watts output, but only on peaks. If you are disappointed with that, you are bound to be disappointed with almost EVERY radio out there. There are some 200 watt solid-state radios being manufactured, but they require a special power supply to drive them, and most feel that for the extra half an S-unit that they provide, they just aren't worth the money !

If you want "More Power" ( thanks Tim the Toolman ! ) you will have to get an amplifier, and that is another piece of equipment to worry about!

Many hams run 100 watts PEP all their lives, never have an amplifier, and are at or near the very top of the DXCC list. Most of the success will be found in the antenna system.

73, Jim

WT9S
07-04-2008, 02:04 AM
And if you want lower power, just reduce the mic gain. You can get it all set up into a dummy load before actually radiating too :)

K4KLB
07-04-2008, 03:35 AM
You are not going to be very popular on the band if you are showing 15A IC on voice peaks, on a AVERAGE reading meter!

Expect about 20% of your tune IC, Perhaps 3-5 amps.

Rege

It's only an average PWR/S meter when switched in the ALC position. You will only read collector current in IC position.

Directly from the TS-430S paper copy manual...
IC -The meter monitors final stage collector current. 12-19A is normal, 17A typical. KG4DMC was correct in his post.

KB3NZX
07-04-2008, 03:53 AM
Thanks,
KZ7ZUL
Wes

DONT chew me out, i read MOST of the posts.....i have a 430s and they are rated MAX of 100, i can key up my rig on cw and reach that easily, the radio will only put out about 50-60 watts on ssb with the CAR (CARRIER) knob at about 11 12 o' clock on the radio, the gain should be assuming you are using an mc-60 about 10-11 o' clock to efficiently TX

Bob

Kb3NZX

ad: fan-nan