PDA

View Full Version : Motorola To Become Two Companies (Motorola/Yaesu)

N2NH
03-27-2008, 02:54 AM
Shareholders and analysts breathed a sigh of relief when Motorola announced Wednesday it will likely spin off its distressed handset business and operate as two independent, publicly traded companies.

The split, which could take place in 2009, would divide Motorola's (nyse: MOT - news - people ) cellphone unit from its more profitable and faster-growing enterprise and home-networks units, which make set-top boxes, bar-code readers and wireless infrastructure.

Even just announcing the move should placate shareholders, including activist investor Carl Icahn, and will likely expedite Motorola's drawn-out search for a leader for the handset business.

Motorola Does the Split (http://www.forbes.com/technology/2008/03/26/motorola-split-handsets-tech-wire-cx_ew_0326moto.html)

K1CJS
03-27-2008, 11:10 AM
Where do you see that Motorola will split Yaesu off? This article is about Motorola splitting off its cellular handset division from the parent company. Nowhere is Yaesu even mentioned! Try not to start empty rumors!! :confused:

Yaesu is and will be part of Motorola--with the proviso previously mentioned that the Vertex/Yaesu name will still be there.

N1BHH
03-27-2008, 05:48 PM
I swear people don't even read what they copy and paste in here. The cellphone division has been a money loser for a number of years, due to the fact that the cellphone market is flooded at present. In fact pawn shops are filled with unused cellphones these days, because people can't afford them, because they think big with small brains.:eek:

KA5PIU
03-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Hello.

The trouble is that the cellular market is saturated, full, everybody who wants one, has one.
But, the cellular execs do not get is, so, the buy one, get 50 free offers.
How about a cellular phone for everybody in the family? is one ad.
Even Verizon has that silly ad with the OM and his daughter.
The only way to increse sales at this point is to make this cheaper.
At $1.98 a phone, and $19.98 a month for unlimited airtime, there would still be people who could not afford the service. :D
And, Motorola lost out in the market share when it pushed smaller handsets, ignoring digital.
Nokia had almost no market share in the US when it took #1 away from Motorola.
Only iDEN is keeping Motorola going in the handset market, and when Sprint/Nextel dumps iDEN, it will be all over.

KD0DKI
03-27-2008, 06:31 PM
I have 3 or 4 old cell phones at home boat anchors all. I should drop them off at the tmobile store to get rid of them.

I bought top of the line smartphones the last time, they work great.

Cell phones are a dime a dozzen so there is no money in the phones, service is where it's at and that is WAY over priced.

N2NH
03-28-2008, 12:03 AM
I never mentioned that Motorola and Yaesu were splitting. Just posted that in the title to give the thread legitimacy in the Amateur Radio Section. There are still some who don't know that Yaesu-Vertex is now owned by Motorola.

This still has an indirect effect on Yaesu. If they don't perform, the same will happen to them.

K5FH
03-28-2008, 12:34 AM
Does this mean we'll get Motorola quality at Yaesu prices? Or will we get Yaesu quality at Motorola prices?

(a little subtlety there...)

K1CJS
03-28-2008, 01:11 AM
Does this mean we'll get Motorola quality at Yaesu prices? Or will we get Yaesu quality at Motorola prices?

(a little subtlety there...)

I think it means Motorola quality (the downhill side of it) at Motorola prices!

K1CJS
03-28-2008, 01:12 AM
I never mentioned that Motorola and Yaesu were splitting. Just posted that in the title to give the thread legitimacy in the Amateur Radio Section. There are still some who don't know that Yaesu-Vertex is now owned by Motorola.

This still has an indirect effect on Yaesu. If they don't perform, the same will happen to them.

My apology--but it sure looked like it with the two names having the split (/) in the middle.

ad: radiowavz