PDA

View Full Version : WinPack, BBS, and Packet

WT0N
02-04-2008, 05:56 AM
I've been dabbling in packet and I was wondering if the packet program WinPack includes a BBS? I set up WinPack; it works flawlessly as far as connecting to other local stations is concerned. When clicking on the buttons to read mail and such, it seemed as though WinPack was trying to connect to a BBS program, considering my settings in the "Personal/BBS Info" dialog. It seems that when I try to write messages and such, I am just using WinPack to communicate with an underlying BBS program--which I have apparently not installed.

That said, what is there in the way of BBS programs that support AGWPE? I've heard of HamServ (couldn't figure this one out...seemed to be a HTTP server for a BBS program), and F6FBB (www.f6fbb.org said 32 bit versions for Windows were still under development).

I've also heard that it is possible to declare another ham's BBS to accept and save messages while my own station is not up. When logging into local BBSes I see that one can leave messages specifically for others. Is this what they are talking about?

Thanks for the help!
Mike WTN

N0NOB
02-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Mike:

Have you checked into the group at Yahoo?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/winpack

Irv

WT0N
02-04-2008, 11:07 PM
Irv,

Thanks for the link. I'm sure I can find answers there.

Tnx & 73,
Mike WTN