PDA

View Full Version : QSSTV

KO5Z
11-20-2007, 05:34 PM
Just downloaded Gusty Gibbon and found it to be a great O.S. There is one problem that I can't seem to work around , and that is how to load and run QSSTV. I have downloaded the program but it just dosen't want to play. Does anyone know an "easyway" to do this? The 'AddPrograms" feature just does not do it.

DJ1YFK
11-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Quote[/b] ]I have downloaded the program but it just dosen't want to play.
That's not a very detailed error description...

I just compiled it from the sources, and it works fine here. Since it's written for QT2, and your system uses QT3, you need to install some compatibility headers. The Debian (and also Ubuntu) package is called libqt3-compat-headers and is available via the package manager.

Then just download the source from the QSSTV website and compile:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">wget http&#58;//users.telenet.be/on4qz/qsstv/download/qsstv-5.3c.tar.gz
tar zxfv qsstv-5.3c.tar.gz
cd qsstv-5.3c
./configure
make
sudo make install[/QUOTE]

and that&#39;s it.

KO5Z
11-20-2007, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the input you&#39;ve told some things I didn&#39;t know. I&#39;ve tryed to understand just how to compile the QSSTV program but can&#39;t seem to get a grip on it. Yea I&#39;ve spent most of my computing using &quot;&quot;The Other O.S.&quot; and never had to do any compiling. Any words of wisdom?

K3WRV
11-20-2007, 10:33 PM
K05Z-

Been doing SSTV for a bout 10 years, and managed to get QSSTV working about one or two times on RX. Changed computers to one with a more complex sound card and still haven&#39;t got it to do proper slant correction, even for RX.
IMHO (which is *really* humble) MMSSTV or WinPix32 are fairly easy to get working under WINE (but haven&#39;t done that either here- still WinSux fer SSTV). That came from others who are LEETER than me&#33; :0
There are a lot of packages you need to install to compile programs (but you probably already knew that) I just got it in rpm, not being leet.
Bob in MD

DJ1YFK
11-21-2007, 03:55 AM
Quote[/b] ]Thanks for the input you&#39;ve told some things I didn&#39;t know. I&#39;ve tryed to understand just how to compile the QSSTV program but can&#39;t seem to get a grip on it. Yea I&#39;ve spent most of my computing using &quot;&quot;The Other O.S.&quot; and never had to do any compiling. Any words of wisdom?
Exactly the stuff up there in the &quot;Code Sample&quot; window is what I had to type into a console, and QSSTV was installed and worked.

Step by step:
wget http://users.telenet.be/on4qz/qsstv/download/qsstv-5.3c.tar.gz

This command fetches the source code file, qsstv-5.3c.tar.gz to your local machine.

tar zxfv qsstv-5.3c.tar.gz

This unpacks the file archive into a folder in which we change by:

cd qsstv-5.3c

./configure
This is the configuration script which checks for the necessary things on your machine to compile.. it should run through without any errors. If you get any errors here, let us know what the error message was.

make

make compiles the program. again: if errors occur here, the text of the error message is crucial to fix it.

sudo make install

And finally we install it system-wide.

--

After this, QSSTV is installed and can be executed. It worked fine here and took a few minutes only. Don&#39;t forget to install libqt3-compat-headers first, it is available through your Ubuntu package manager.

KO5Z
11-27-2007, 05:30 PM
Well after much fanfair and a wiping of my hard drive, I reloaded ubuntu and then downloaded QSSTV again. After doing this the program came up and started working. No keying of any commands at the terminal level just clicked the mouse and there it was. The &quot;big boys&quot; must have read my post and decided I needed some help. Anyway for you guys thinking of trying this program and O.S. I say go for it. It&#39;s a hoot&#33; Thanks for the help everyone. Oh yea one more thing is there a digi form of SSTV for ubuntu out there?

ad: grumpyshop