PDA

View Full Version : Why the Marconi Net Hate?

KB1JCY
10-24-2007, 06:13 AM
I enjoy the Marconi Net. I feel that this net is doing a service to new hams and hams who have just upgraded to General Class or higher. It's a welcoming community which is an antidote to the cliquishness of 75m. Between the jammer on the net's frequency and the grumbling amongst the AM'ers on 3.885, I sense there's a class of Marconi Net haters out there but I don't understand why.

For all the good that the Marconi Net does, I don't understand the reason for the hate. Is there a history to the Marconi Net that I don't know about? Is there something about the net control station, KB2IXT, that has brought about out the Marconi Net haters?

W8ZNX
10-24-2007, 09:04 AM
yes there is a history
you do not know about
this goes back more than a few years

im not going to spend a hour or two
explaining the history

some of the original members of the group
made anything but friends
up and down band

acting quite full of themselves
and generaly being A holes

now some of the orignal jerks
are no longer involved in the net

some of them have cleaned up their act

but

showing up and taking over a feq
by calling yourselves a net
does not cut it with ops that
had been using that part of the band

have not listened on freq
in a month or so

if the net / net control / members
are still acting like they did
when i last listened

they will never be rid of jammers

because they were acting in a manner
that attractes jammers

AM ops
well # # # #lets put it this way
3 most used am freq on 75 meters are
3885, 3880 and 3870

3870 is the big time most used 75 meter west coast am freq
they are not going to move for some
so called ssb net that shows up 2 kc away
from where they have been
hanging out for over 25 years

when the band goes long
this is the freq that east coast
big gun am ops work big gun west coast am ops

having a east coast ssb net on 3872
simply screws any east coast am op that wants to work
any of the west coast am ops on 3870

was a reason 3872 was clear of regular night time use

mac

K0HWY
10-24-2007, 09:09 AM
I'm not at all familiar with the net but if they are operating in close proximity to the AMers on 3885, those guys probably have a reason to be upset. There are only a few frequencies that have been "designated" as "AM calling frequencies." I seldom hear AM operation on other frequencies so it seems as if the AMers are confining themselves primarily to these designated frequencies. With that in mind, it would seem to be common courtesy to allow them enough breathing room as to prevent interference. Yet, I still hear stations trying to operate on 3890 LSB when they know there's AM activity only 5 Khz away.

Perhaps a simple change of frequency would cure at least half the problem.

Btw, on what frequency is this Marconi Net conducted?

WZ9O
10-24-2007, 10:02 AM
Eliminate all nets!!! They serve no purpose. They just clutter up the air waves!! http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

N5FOG
10-24-2007, 10:16 AM
Quote[/b] (aa9ya @ Oct. 23 2007,05:02)]Eliminate all nets!!! They serve no purpose. They just clutter up the air waves!! http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif
Nothing wrong with the REAL nets like 3905 CC ETC.

The problem is with the "good old boy nets" that are nothing more than a closed group of guys that want talk on the same freq any time they want by claiming they are a net so they "hold" the frequency.

I have nothing against a group of guys that want to have a nightly round table but don't call yourselves a net.

FOG

KY5U
10-24-2007, 10:37 AM
If you're on 3872, chances are the 3885 crowd doesn't even know you're there. Nor does the 3880 crowd. Normally AMers I know don't gripe if you stay 5-6 kHz away. But they are already pretty grumpy from ingorant SSB users who think 2khz or 3khz is suffecient space to allow next to an AM QSO and who fire up the rig right in the middle of a regular net.

The two nets I check in on AM with run 5:30-7:00PM Central Tuesdays and Thursdays. My chats are usually in the mornings about 5-7AM on Saturday and Sunday.

W0BKR
10-24-2007, 10:43 AM
There are an abundance of nets all over 75 and for that matter, 20 meters as well. They aren't "close minded" individuals, only individuals that meeting on a set schedule weekly and many times, most appropriate nets, net control stations, will move a bit if the frequency is in use. Some won't. Those are the thorns. No one owns a frequency to be certain, except of course, ARRL broadcasts.

Regarding the AMers, they have precious little portions of the band in which to operate and they do stay within those closet space frequencies. Some lids will go in there and operate or sit right next to them and complain of QRM. Duh.

Anyway, don't know the Marconi Net, but I do know there are good many folks out there and not all OF's and old ops that complain of nets coming within 1 khz of an existing QSO. I would too.

The 3.905 Century Club Net will many times move up or down some to avoid QRMing or being QRMed. That is what a net should be doing to start with.

Either learn to work the tuning dial on your radio I say, or else, live with QRM if you are too close together on a wide band.

KG4KWW
10-24-2007, 01:35 PM
Mac your negative comments are not warranted at all.

Where does it show on the band plan that this section is a AM only section? HAH? I can't hear you!!!
These are public bands for ham use and net should be wherever there is a open freq and within the legal operating limits of the net control as long as it doesn’t interfere with another net on that freq.

Gee Mac, are you the jammer?

This net is a fine net and is a good net for a new ham /old ham to learn new things about ham radio.

This net has a lot of fine people associated with it and the net control does a fine job of calling this net.

I suggest that before you start slamming something you first check it out, another words participate, I know this is really a new and scary thing for you and the others here on QRZ who like to slam folks, but hey, try it, you might just like it.

See ya on 3872.

Long live the Marconi Net.

KY5U
10-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Quote[/b] (kg4kww @ Oct. 24 2007,06:35)]Mac your negative comments are not warranted at all.

Where does it show on the band plan that this section is a AM only section? HAH? I can't hear you!!!
These are public bands for ham use and net should be wherever there is a open freq and within the legal operating limits of the net control as long as it doesn’t interfere with another net on that freq.

This net is a fine net and is a good net for a new ham old ham to learn new things about ham radio.

This net has a lot of fine people associated with it and the net control does a fine job of calling this net.

I suggest that before you start slamming something you first check it out, another words participate, I know this is really a new and scary thing for you and the others here on QRZ who like to slam folks, but hey, try it, you might just like it.

See ya on 3872.

I found this on the ARRL site in less than 3 minutes:

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/bandplan.html

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/am-freqs.html

Amateur Radio has existed on the courtesy of one amateur for another. No suprise things are getting worse since you got on HF if you and others are too lazy to learn what you have to know.

N8YX
10-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Quote[/b] (kg4kww @ Oct. 24 2007,06:35)]See ya on 3872.

Not with the weak-azzed signals I've been hearing, it won't...

KA4DPO
10-24-2007, 01:58 PM
The Marconi "Net" and I use the term Net loosely, was and is a group of childish LIDs who got licenses from the cornflakes box and brought their CB "My amps bigger that your amp" mentality with them. #If they were truly trying to help newcommers they would attempt to set an example by selecting a frequency that doesn't interfere with the AM window. #As Mac already said, the AM crowd aren't going to move for a bunch of yahoos who just want to get attention. #Many of these AM stations have transmitters that are capable of ionizing their own layer so if push came to shove the store bought appliance guys would loose. #This group and their antics are precisely what gets the OTs PO'ed.

They claim to be helping new operators. #Just try and get a word in edgewise and see if that's true. #All I ever hear is the same bunch monopolizing the frequency. #It doesn't sound like any net I'm familiar with. #

The Marconi net is nothing but a closed good ol boy group claiming to be open to new operators. #That's BS.

K0CMH
10-24-2007, 02:17 PM
If we all can't play together well in the sand box, the FCC will take the sand box away, and give it to folks who are willing to pay for the sand.

K0HWY
10-24-2007, 02:30 PM
Quote[/b] (kg4kww @ Oct. 24 2007,08:35)]Where does it show on the band plan that this section is a AM only section? HAH? I can't hear you!!!
You are kidding, right? http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

AI4EP
10-24-2007, 02:32 PM
Plus all this FREE ADVERTISING about the net is going to attract even MORE lids to the frequency, to add to the confusion that already exists.

You can also thank your FCC agents for taking away the CW requirement for HF frequencies, there by letting EVEN more lids to have access to the frequency.

so...carry on with your rat-killing !! http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

KN4DS
10-24-2007, 02:40 PM
Quote[/b] (AG4YO @ Oct. 24 2007,09:53)]
Quote[/b] (kg4kww @ Oct. 24 2007,06:35)]Mac your negative comments are not warranted at all.

This net is a fine net and is a good net for a new ham old ham to learn new things about ham radio.

See ya on 3872.

I found this on the ARRL site in less than 3 minutes:

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/bandplan.html

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/am-freqs.html

Amateur Radio has existed on the courtesy of one amateur for another. No suprise things are getting worse since you got on HF if you and others are too lazy to learn what you have to know.
Greg knows what he knows, and refuses to actually look anything up, unless it has to with death and mayhem.

Somehow, he manages to find those stories every day, but he can't find band plans, band use information, or even contest information.

Also, in his rant, he's suggesting that a net can take place anywhere there's not already a net ongoing - in other words, if two folks are just chatting, and someone wants to start a net, the two folks have to go away to make way for the greater number of people to have a net.

"Gentleman" and "agreement" would seem to be lacking from KWW's vocabulary.

K4KYV
10-24-2007, 02:44 PM
If the frequency is clearly in use before they start up, most AM operators will QSY plus/minus QRM to a clear spot. But too often the problem is, long after the AM QSO has been established on a given frequency, a SSB group will deliberately fire up only 2-3 kHz away from the carrier frequency, and then proceed to complain about the QRM and squeal from the carrier heterodyne.

With the advent of the band changes that went into effect on 15DE06, there is plenty of room to operate AM or any other legal mode from 3600 to about 3775, with little if any QRM, even on weekend nights when there is negligible static, except perhaps when there is a qrmtest going on.

And there is still plenty of room for cw at the low end as well.

KG4KWW
10-24-2007, 02:58 PM
The ARRL band Plan states:

3.885 AM calling frequency
75 Meters AM:
3.825, 3.870 (West Coast), 3.880, 3.885

It doesn't say anything about 3872 being AM only

Grow Up Charlie and accept change or get the hell off the air waves.

N8YX
10-24-2007, 03:03 PM
Quote[/b] (kg4kww @ Oct. 24 2007,07:58)]Grow Up Charlie and accept change or get the hell off the air waves.
Got a big enough amplifier and antenna to back that statement up, sport?

Edit: Such an attitude is extremely Un-Christian, Greg...

AD4MG
10-24-2007, 03:08 PM
Quote[/b] (kg4kww @ Oct. 24 2007,10:58)]The ARRL band Plan states:

Why get all ugly and nasty with Charlie for providing facts, Greg? Did you read the other link? Behold:

Quote[/b] ]Amplitude Modulation
AM activity can be found on the following frequencies.

All Frequencies in MHz

160 Meters:
1.885, 1.900, 1.945, 1.985

75 Meters:

40 Meters:
7.290, 7.295

20 Meters:

17 Meters:

15 Meters:
21.285, 21.425

10 Meters:
29.000-29.200

6 Meters:
50.4 (generally), 50.250 Northern CO

2 Meters:
144.4 (Northwest)
144.425 (Massachusetts)
144.28 (NYC-Long Island)
144.45 (California)

The bands are at least as civil as they are due to some consideration of others, and respect for established, well known operating habits, and gentleman's agreements.

Just because you want to be all uppity doesn't mean the courteous hams will approve. The net you covet so should, out of common decency, move away from where the AM guys operate. But if they want to continue being anal, they should stay put. If they do, with your attitude, you should find them a good fit.

WA3KYY
10-24-2007, 03:42 PM

75 Meters AM:

How can you presume to operate SSB on 3872 with AM on 3870? #An AM signal is at least 6Khz wide and often 9Khz wide. #With a carrier frequency of 3870, the AM station is occupying at least 3867 to 3873 and more likely 3865 to 3875. #An LSB station would need to be no lower than 3878 to safely avoid overlap with the AM signal on 3870.

W0BKR
10-24-2007, 03:45 PM
One has to pick and choose their nets wisely. One reason I don't frequent sess pools like some on 75.

3.905 Century Club Net is a good group of individuals that have participated in that activity for decades and have fun doing it.

Sad others don't do things on the bands to have fun.

Don't need public soapboxes which is what I find more and more on some frequencies.

N5PVL
10-24-2007, 03:47 PM
So - The topic's question, "Why the Marconi Net Hate?" has been aswered, in that we now know that the Marconi Net is a pack of Lid-Ops, too socially or otherwise retarded to play well with others.

Everybody hates Lid-Ops... - Which completes the answer to the Topic's question.

http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif ---{ #Gosh, that was easy! # }

KN4DS
10-24-2007, 03:56 PM

75 Meters AM:

3.872... Lower sideband... ~3KHz signal...

The math suggests to me that I'd expect to hear the signal pretty well down to about 3.869...

Oversimplified, AM is upper and lower sideband at the same time... so it's ~6KHz wide. If the guys are operating AM on 3.870, again, the math suggests they're listening up to at least 3.873...

So, Greg, please explain how LSB operation on 3.872 would not interfere with AM operation on 3.870. I know I'm stumped, and I'm sure many others are as well... please enlighten us.

KJ3N
10-24-2007, 04:09 PM

75 Meters AM:

Greg,

You have your head so far up your butt, it's not even funny.

As a infrequent participant of the Marconi net since its inception, I generally enjoy stopping in from time to time and having a few minutes to spend chatting with the group. I typically don't stay around for the entire 2 hours and most of the time I'm only there for about 30-45 minutes.

Now, having said that, I can see where some of members of this net bring some of the trouble upon themselves. I don't think it's a good idea to mention jammers at all, let alone start calling them names like miscreants, low-lifes, etc. That only encourages the behaviour. Fred also needs to refrain from pontificating about the issue in the first place.

KJ3N
10-24-2007, 04:12 PM
Quote[/b] (n8yx @ Oct. 24 2007,11:03)]
Quote[/b] (kg4kww @ Oct. 24 2007,07:58)]Grow Up Charlie and accept change or get the hell off the air waves.

And your "response" is extremely CB-ish.

Pot... Kettle... Black.... http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

KG4KWW
10-24-2007, 04:35 PM
Quote[/b] ]N8YX -- Got a big enough amplifier and antenna to back that statement up, sport?

This sounds like a threat to jam the net.

N8YX
10-24-2007, 04:58 PM
Quote[/b] (kj3n @ Oct. 24 2007,09:12)]

Edit: And Greg's commentary ISN'T?

...yawn...

N8YX
10-24-2007, 04:59 PM
Quote[/b] (kg4kww @ Oct. 24 2007,09:35)]
Quote[/b] ]N8YX -- Got a big enough amplifier and antenna to back that statement up, sport?

This sounds like a threat to jam the net.
You sound paranoid, Greg. Been seeing many black helicopters in the skies lately?

KJ3N
10-24-2007, 05:11 PM
Quote[/b] (n8yx @ Oct. 24 2007,12:58)]
Quote[/b] (kj3n @ Oct. 24 2007,09:12)]

Edit: And Greg's commentary ISN'T?

...yawn...
Now my Irony Meter is pegging again. http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

KY5U
10-24-2007, 05:58 PM
Quote[/b] (kg4kww @ Oct. 24 2007,07:58)]The ARRL band Plan states:

75 Meters AM:

What a maroon. My links highlighted that a SSB net on 3872 would interfere with frequencies published for AM use by gentleman's agreement. My message even said so in the last sentence. You're the one with his head up his patoot. Be a good amateur and honor gentlemen's agreements like Amateurs have for years. Remember how much better you guys were going to make AR with your addition to HF?

AI4EP
10-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Isnt it always fun to watch 2 folks with a 4 callsign to argue over something here on qrz ?http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

KG4KWW
10-24-2007, 10:03 PM
You know Charlie, if you weren't such a low life I would tell ya what I really think of you.

AD4MG
10-24-2007, 10:12 PM
Quote[/b] (kg4kww @ Oct. 24 2007,18:03)]You know Charlie, if you weren't such a low life I would tell ya what I really think of you.
You're being ugly again, Greg. I don't think Charlie is a "low life" at all. Why do you believe so?

KD6NIG
10-24-2007, 10:17 PM
Wow. Don't get on QRZ most of the day and I miss all kinds of stuff.

KI4ITV
10-24-2007, 10:32 PM
Quote[/b] (kg4kww @ Oct. 24 2007,10:03)]You know Charlie, if you weren't such a low life I would tell ya what I really think of you.
That's perty un-cool dude.

This whole thread is outlining fairly well what is happening more and more frequently on the bands. Long held agreements being thwarted, both by a lack of technical understanding and historical perspective. Seems to me, that both are very important to coexistance on the bands.

KN4DS
10-25-2007, 12:03 AM
Quote[/b] (kg4kww @ Oct. 24 2007,18:03)]You know Charlie, if you weren't such a low life I would tell ya what I really think of you.
'sup with the attitude, there, Greg?

Having trouble with the math we've pointed out to you? Occupied bandwidth is a new concept to you?

Could you show us where we're incorrect with regards to interference potential?

Are insults the only answer you have in response?

AI4EP
10-25-2007, 12:08 AM
http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif aaaaanyway, back to the topic of this thread.

Greg is just trying to run his post count up. http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

W5HTW
10-25-2007, 12:20 AM
My dial indicator button is broken. What channel this be? Is this a live podcast from 27 mhz? Or are we on them thar 'extry' channels?

VE7DCW
10-25-2007, 12:21 AM
Quote[/b] (kg4kww @ Oct. 24 2007,15:03)]You know Charlie, if you weren't such a low life I would tell ya what I really think of you.
http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif Geeeez the tradition of good old 75 meters...without having to tune on to the band... makes me proud!

AI4EP
10-25-2007, 12:32 AM
I just want to know the frequency and time that GREG & CHARLIE are going to get on to tell each other off.

As soon as one of you know, let the rest of us know.....ok ?

KJ3N
10-25-2007, 01:12 AM
Quote[/b] (KE4UWL @ Oct. 24 2007,20:03)]Occupied bandwidth is a new concept to you?
It's apparently a concept lost on a few new Generals I've caught on 3800 over the last 8 months. http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

3800 LSB is operating out of band for Generals. So is 3801 & 3802. If you don't know why, you'd better figure it out pretty damned soon, "Sparky". http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

KA4DPO
10-25-2007, 01:16 AM
Quote[/b] (kj3n @ Oct. 24 2007,20:12)]
Quote[/b] (KE4UWL @ Oct. 24 2007,20:03)]Occupied bandwidth is a new concept to you?
It's apparently a concept lost on a few new Generals I've caught on 3800 over the last 8 months. #http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

3800 LSB is operating out of band for Generals. So is 3801 & 3802. If you don't know why, you'd better figure it out pretty damned soon, "Sparky". # http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif
Goly, you mean that there LSB aint center frequently? Dang...

KN4DS
10-25-2007, 01:19 AM
Quote[/b] (kj3n @ Oct. 24 2007,21:12)]
It's apparently a concept lost on a few new Generals I've caught on 3800 over the last 8 months. http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

3800 LSB is operating out of band for Generals. So is 3801 & 3802. If you don't know why, you'd better figure it out pretty damned soon, "Sparky". http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif
3600, 3601 and 3602 are out of bounds for me, too, at least if I'm operating LSB... but I know why.

KY5U
10-25-2007, 01:31 AM
Quote[/b] (kg4kww @ Oct. 24 2007,15:03)]You know Charlie, if you weren't such a low life I would tell ya what I really think of you.
You're so silly. And, you have alot to learn.

KA4DPO
10-25-2007, 01:35 AM
Some people are learning impaired.

KG4KWW
10-25-2007, 04:29 PM
Long live the Marconi Net and down with those who are against it.

Tune in and learn what real ham radio is all about.

N8YX
10-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Quote[/b] ]Long live the Marconi Net and down with those who are against it.

We would... -IF- we could hear y'all...

Quote[/b] ]Tune in and learn what real ham radio is all about.

That would include one of the following, or a functional equivalent thereof:

http://www.vibroplex.com/know_code_640_pxls_wide.jpg

K4GUN
10-25-2007, 04:50 PM
OK... I'll admit that I'm baffled. #I have been on the Marconi net probably 4 or 5 times in the past 6 months and the problem is not from 3870 AM stations. #Its from intentional and malicious "jamming". #Guys will drop right on the LSB frequency and start cursing, singing, whistling or mocking other operators. #Its rude and childish and I think that is the basis for the question that started this topic.

Maybe its my location or my antenna. #Perhaps I can't hear that the "net" is interfering or being interfered with an AM transmission. #That's certainly possible, but if I thought that my keying the mic to talk on the "net" was causing QRM, I would never do it and I don't get the impression that others on the net would either.

KN4DS
10-25-2007, 04:54 PM
Quote[/b] (kg4kww @ Oct. 25 2007,12:29)]Long live the Marconi Net and down with those who are against it.

In other words... no, you don't understand occupied bandwidth.

Gotcha.

N8YX
10-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Quote[/b] (k4gun @ Oct. 25 2007,09:50)]OK... I'll admit that I'm baffled. I have been on the Marconi net probably 4 or 5 times in the past 6 months and the problem is not from 3870 AM stations. Its from intentional and malicious "jamming". Guys will drop right on the LSB frequency and start cursing, singing, whistling or mocking other operators. Its rude and childish and I think that is the basis for the question that started this topic.
...and I think that if the topic hadn't been brought up on the 'Zed sometime back, you would probably be hearing less jamming.

FWIW - when I've tuned across the net frequency, there hasn't been a lot of activity - 'legit' or otherwise - on it. Signals are somewhat weak in strength, but my antennas do favor DX locations rather than stateside ones...

N8YX
10-25-2007, 04:58 PM
Quote[/b] (KE4UWL @ Oct. 25 2007,09:54)]
Quote[/b] (kg4kww @ Oct. 25 2007,12:29)]Long live the Marconi Net and down with those who are against it.

In other words... no, you don't understand occupied bandwidth.

Gotcha.
He will ... should he be cited for interference ...

KY5U
10-25-2007, 06:42 PM
You guys need to cut him some slack. He's already trashed his call. If you google his call (http://www.stupid.com/index.html) you get a special site. http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

KC5CSG
10-25-2007, 08:30 PM
Quote[/b] (kg4kww @ Oct. 24 2007,07:58)]The ARRL band Plan states:

75 Meters AM:

Although it's the "ARRL band plan" it sure isn't the official band plan. According to the FCC those so called AM frequencies exist in a portion of the band that is allocated for telephony be it AM or SSB. Meaning, if a SSB station is using the so called AM call freq then the AM station has two choices. Move to a clear spot and not interfere with the QSO in progress or change his mode to SSB and participate in the current QSO. Now, it goes as well for the other side. If someone is on that freq using AM then SSB operators are bound by the rules and regs to do the same. Go somewhere else and not interfere or change modes and participate.

So basicly it comes down to this. Who was here first today? If the freq has been silent for the past hour can a net honestly say the freq is still in use?

Sounds to me like people are picking at straws to fight over something that doesn't belong to them. Some are trying to use the word of the law to defeat the spirit of the law but they're using the wrong law. The ARRL is a proposed band plan. Yes, it's a gentleman's agreement but the FCC doesn't prohibit SSB use of a freq a bunch of AM'ers decided to use as their sole frequency. It doesn't allow for AM'ers to try to run off SSB from using a frequency that the FCC has allocated for telephony use be it either AM or SSB. The only mode that I know of that is illegal in that portion would be FM. The FCC states FM is illegal below 30 Mhz I think? I'm not a radio cop so I may be off a little.

Jerry

KJ3N
10-25-2007, 08:53 PM
Quote[/b] (KC5CSG @ Oct. 25 2007,16:30)]If the freq has been silent for the past hour can a net honestly say the freq is still in use?
No, but they try anyway. Give it a shot and you'll find out.

KC5CSG
10-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Quote[/b] (kj3n @ Oct. 25 2007,13:53)]
Quote[/b] (KC5CSG @ Oct. 25 2007,16:30)]If the freq has been silent for the past hour can a net honestly say the freq is still in use?
Nah, I try to avoid the possible hot spots on the bands. If I want drama I'd tell my wife how cute I think her sister is.

Jerry

AD4MG
10-25-2007, 09:34 PM
Quote[/b] (KC5CSG @ Oct. 25 2007,16:57)]
Nah, I try to avoid the possible hot spots on the bands. If I want drama I'd tell my wife how cute I think her sister is.

Jerry
Bwaaa! Good one ... http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

AI4EP
10-25-2007, 10:41 PM
question --- what IS the frequency OF the MARCONI net, any way ?

I re - read page one of this thread, and found out that 3.905 is the frequency of the CENTURY CLUB net, yet little more information than that.

KB1OJU
10-25-2007, 10:46 PM
Quote[/b] (KC5CSG @ Oct. 25 2007,13:57)]

Jerry
Now that right there my friends, is whats known as a knee-slapper, rotflmfao hahahahah

AD4MG
10-25-2007, 11:11 PM
Quote[/b] (ai4ep @ Oct. 25 2007,18:41)]question --- what IS the frequency OF the MARCONI net, any way ?

I re - read page one of this thread, and found out that 3.905 is the frequency of the CENTURY CLUB net, yet little more information than that.
I believe it's 3.872 on your radio dial. They start at 9:00pm EDST these days, but I don't know the schedule following the time change coming up on the 4th, I think it is?

Don't hold me to any of that ... I'm not a participant, and pretty much not into nets.

KB1JCY
10-25-2007, 11:20 PM
Most days it's on 3.872 except Thursdays where they switch to 1.900.

K4KYV
10-26-2007, 12:52 AM
Quote[/b] (KC5CSG @ Oct. 25 2007,20:30)]The only mode that I know of that is illegal in that portion would be FM. The FCC states FM is illegal below 30 Mhz I think?
FM is legal below 30 mHz as long as the occupied bandwidth doesn't exceed that of a DSB AM station with the same audio modulation.

KC5CSG
10-26-2007, 12:56 AM
Quote[/b] (k4kyv @ Oct. 25 2007,17:52)]
Quote[/b] (KC5CSG @ Oct. 25 2007,20:30)]The only mode that I know of that is illegal in that portion would be FM. The FCC states FM is illegal below 30 Mhz I think?
FM is legal below 30 mHz as long as the occupied bandwidth doesn't exceed that of a DSB AM station with the same audio modulation.
Yes, after the introduction of NFM I often wondered if it would be legal to operate with it under 30 Mhz but I never took the time to go look at the regs. The bandwidth would be comparable to AM.

Jerry

KA4DPO
10-26-2007, 01:06 AM
I could be wrong but I don't think FM is legal below 10 meters in the US.

KC5CSG
10-26-2007, 01:24 AM
Quote[/b] (KA4DPO @ Oct. 25 2007,18:06)]I could be wrong but I don't think FM is legal below 10 meters in the US.
I don't think it's legal below 10 either but I think it may be worded as "no signal more that xxKhz below xxMhz". Man I hate this. Now I have to go looking through part 97 again just to find out.

What is interesting though is if this is the case then NFM might be legal...........who knows, I'll have to dig and see. I'll admit beforehand I am just relying on memory and I may be COMPLETELY WRONG!!! Feel free to correct me. I wont mind. I will go look at 97 simply because it was an interesting observation and the curiosity will kill me..........

Jerry

AI4EP
10-26-2007, 01:32 AM
http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif 3.872 ?

#THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION.

---------------------

So is it legal to use FM on 75 meters ?

No, I dont need to know, but some one out there in computer-land may think it is necessary.

KC5CSG
10-26-2007, 02:19 AM
Okay, I looked around and here is my conclusion:

I don't know. Maybe one of the more experienced hams who is well versed with part 97 can weasel out more than I could. I just couldn't see anywhere in part 97 limits on bandwidth for voice communtications. There's plenty on RTTY though. Maybe I'm not as good at researching as I used to be.

The only thing I ran across that could remotely qualify was you shouldn't use more bandwidth that is needed. I know for a fact someone at some time showed me the reg on FM being illegal under 10 meters but that was because of how wide banded it was. That was before NFM became available. I know when I set my HT to NFM it has a deviation 2.5 Khz either side of center. 5 Khz total so that would make it no more of a bandwidth hog than AM so logically speaking it would be legal on the HF bands. PLEASE, if I'm wrong correct me because I don't want someone pointing to my logic as reason they're experimenting illegally lol!!! I just got tired of reading into it.

It should also be noted that I know absolutely nothing about NFM except it is a feature in my HT. I may even be wrong as to how wide it is. It could be 2.5 Khz wide or 5 Khz wide. I never bothered to try it out because I've heard how crappy FRS sounds and it's NFM. I'm not even sure if it shares the "capture effect" that FM enjoys.

Jerry

N7RJD
10-26-2007, 02:20 AM
Quote[/b] (kg4kww @ Oct. 24 2007,00:58)]The ARRL band Plan states:

75 Meters AM:

Greg, go back and read a little slower before you get your foot any further in your mouth.

The original statement was that SSB ops starting a net on 3872 would interfere with the AM guys on 3870. Nobody claimed 3872 to be in the band plan as AM only.

Try not being so anxious to prove that you know more than the guys that have been doing this for 30 and 40 years and you might actually understand how much there is to learn.

Grow up Greg and accept the rules as they are instead of whining and stomping your feet until they are changed.

KN4DS
10-26-2007, 04:46 AM
Quote[/b] (KE7DLG @ Oct. 25 2007,22:20)]Try not being so anxious to prove that you know more than the guys that have been doing this for 30 and 40 years and you might actually understand how much there is to learn.
Or even the guys who've been doing this for, oh, 8 months.

Greg's ignoring the gentleman's agreement band plans. Well, that's not entirely true... he just doesn't understand that a radio signal does not just occupy the frequency that's displayed... he honestly believes that stations on 3870 and 3872 can't interfere with each other... they are, after all, on different frequencies.

That he doesn't understand that a LSB signal on 3872 is not just on 3872 is somewhat understandable... he's grown up in a world of digital frequency displays...

"Well, it says 101.5, so that's where they are, but scan doesn't stop at 101.3 or 101.7... you guys are full of it"

His profile here also says he operates on 3870 LSB...

Quote[/b] ]Besides listening to 144.200 USB, I can also be found on 7.250 LSB, 3.870 LSB, 432.100 USB and 50.125 USB

Because Jerry's going to jump on this and point out that it's not illegal to operate LSB on 3870, I will mention that I'm aware that it's legal to operate... you can even operate USB if you wish... the rules don't specify which sideband you have to use on which band...

But by doing so, you're being a jerk.

W0BKR
10-26-2007, 12:31 PM
As already pointed out, 75 meters is full of them....

KC5CSG
10-26-2007, 02:07 PM
Quote[/b] (KE4UWL @ Oct. 25 2007,21:46)]
Quote[/b] (KE7DLG @ Oct. 25 2007,22:20)]Try not being so anxious to prove that you know more than the guys that have been doing this for 30 and 40 years and you might actually understand how much there is to learn.
Or even the guys who've been doing this for, oh, 8 months.

Greg's ignoring the gentleman's agreement band plans. #Well, that's not entirely true... he just doesn't understand that a radio signal does not just occupy the frequency that's displayed... he honestly believes that stations on 3870 and 3872 can't interfere with each other... they are, after all, on different frequencies.

That he doesn't understand that a LSB signal on 3872 is not just on 3872 is somewhat understandable... he's grown up in a world of digital frequency displays...

"Well, it says 101.5, so that's where they are, but scan doesn't stop at 101.3 or 101.7... you guys are full of it"

His profile here also says he operates on 3870 LSB...

Quote[/b] ]Besides listening to 144.200 USB, I can also be found on 7.250 LSB, 3.870 LSB, 432.100 USB and 50.125 USB

Because Jerry's going to jump on this and point out that it's not illegal to operate LSB on 3870, I will mention that I'm aware that it's legal to operate... you can even operate USB if you wish... the rules don't specify which sideband you have to use on which band...

But by doing so, you're being a jerk.
Nah, Jerry messed around and confused himself when he went back to read part 97 last night. I'm just contenting myself by reading what you guys have to say now.

Jerry

KN4DS
10-26-2007, 02:37 PM
I guess I just don't understand the part where folks look at a gentleman's agreement type band plan, which works out nicely for everybody, and then intentionally operate contrary to that plan... it's not like there aren't any available frequencies on 75m. 200KHz and this "net" can't find someplace to operate that doesn't conflict with a published AM operating frequency?

N8YX
10-26-2007, 02:47 PM
Quote[/b] (KE4UWL @ Oct. 26 2007,07:37)]I guess I just don't understand the part where folks look at a gentleman's agreement type band plan, which works out nicely for everybody, and then intentionally operate contrary to that plan... it's not like there aren't any available frequencies on 75m. 200KHz and this "net" can't find someplace to operate that doesn't conflict with a published AM operating frequency?
My advice to the AMers on board is to 'camp' on 3870...(use it or lose it)...and if subjected to willful and/or malicious interference, obtain recordings of the violations (with callsigns audible) and send 'em to Riley. Or his replacement.

KC5CSG
10-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Quote[/b] (n8yx @ Oct. 26 2007,07:47)]
Quote[/b] (KE4UWL @ Oct. 26 2007,07:37)]I guess I just don't understand the part where folks look at a gentleman's agreement type band plan, which works out nicely for everybody, and then intentionally operate contrary to that plan... it's not like there aren't any available frequencies on 75m. #200KHz and this "net" can't find someplace to operate that doesn't conflict with a published AM operating frequency?
My advice to the AMers on board is to 'camp' on 3870...(use it or lose it)...and if subjected to willful and/or malicious interference, obtain recordings of the violations (with callsigns audible) and send 'em to Riley. Or his replacement.
Camp on the freqency? So you mean to say you can have a conversation that is 24/7?? How long can you keep that up? So you're saying that if the freq is silent for, lets say, 10 minutes and some SSB operator tries to use it you start operating again claiming you were using the freq? Hmmm, sounds like something some CB clubs try to do on "their channel" but hey, CB'ers love AM too. I can see why this crowd would love to "own" a freqency. Hmmmmm.........now I have something to think about.

Wow, and you're worried about what will happen when the chicken banders get on our bands..........seems to me they're already here.

Jerry

KN4DS
10-26-2007, 03:16 PM
Quote[/b] (KC5CSG @ Oct. 26 2007,11:07)]
Quote[/b] (n8yx @ Oct. 26 2007,07:47)]My advice to the AMers on board is to 'camp' on 3870...(use it or lose it)...and if subjected to willful and/or malicious interference, obtain recordings of the violations (with callsigns audible) and send 'em to Riley. Or his replacement.
Camp on the freqency? So you mean to say you can have a conversation that is 24/7?? How long can you keep that up? So you're saying that if the freq is silent for, lets say, 10 minutes and some SSB operator tries to use it you start operating again claiming you were using the freq? Hmmm, sounds like something some CB clubs try to do on "their channel" but hey, CB'ers love AM too. I can see why this crowd would love to "own" a freqency. Hmmmmm.........now I have something to think about.

Wow, and you're worried about what will happen when the chicken banders get on our bands..........seems to me they're already here.

Jerry
I don't mean to suggest anything like that...

I *do* mean to suggest that with 200 KHz available to Generals (twice that to Extras), it ain't that hard to find a frequency that doesn't conflict with published band plans. I went to public school in Oklahoma and *I* can do it...

No, it's not illegal to operate SSB anywhere from 3.800 to 4.000, not in the strictest sense. Nobody's breaking any rule by operating SSB on 3.870. But they are being jerks.

KA4DPO
10-26-2007, 03:16 PM
Quote[/b] (n8yx @ Oct. 26 2007,09:47)]
Quote[/b] (KE4UWL @ Oct. 26 2007,07:37)]I guess I just don't understand the part where folks look at a gentleman's agreement type band plan, which works out nicely for everybody, and then intentionally operate contrary to that plan... it's not like there aren't any available frequencies on 75m. #200KHz and this "net" can't find someplace to operate that doesn't conflict with a published AM operating frequency?
Most of the AM guys also have SSB equipment. Many of the AM guys are also big guns with some heavy iron in the shack and could pretty much own you if they wanted to. The problem is not a technical issue, it's one of courteous behavior and a willingness to honor the AMers space. They have just as much right to operate as anyone else.

KD6NIG
10-26-2007, 03:27 PM
Quote[/b] (KE4UWL @ Oct. 26 2007,07:37)]I guess I just don't understand the part where folks look at a gentleman's agreement type band plan, which works out nicely for everybody, and then intentionally operate contrary to that plan... it's not like there aren't any available frequencies on 75m. 200KHz and this "net" can't find someplace to operate that doesn't conflict with a published AM operating frequency?
Nope!

Just like around here when, if you're feeling like a headache, head on over to CB and you find all the locals on channel 17 gabbing away, when there are 39 other channels to use.

Nope, they park on the one the truckers use on purpose to annoy them. Every time its the same argument, and they love it.

To move the net to a different frequency would mean losing the conflict. It should be painfully obvious by now that some people on both sides of the argument here LOVE the argument part of it! Thats the reason why that net is where it is, thats the reason that if you happen to try and call CQ on that frequency someone will probably growl at you saying "THIS IS A NET FREQUENCY". They love the conflict.

Me personally, if I ever had a desire to conflict, I'd just go to radio shack and buy one of them 40 channel radios and set it to channel 17. Plenty of conflict to be found on there, and it would be a heck of a lot cheaper than a HF rig and antenna.

But, some people like their arguments expensive style.

And, from what I'm seeing here too, it sounds like the power wars of CB from ages ago that people talk about are alive and well on the Ham Bands in some area. Well, at least there its legal-till you QRM or exceed 1500W. Course, if you get caught doing that there, you're going to get more than a slap on the hand, because dangit, you're supposed to know better than those dang CB radddio guys.

Right?

Sure doesn't sound like it!

KC5CSG
10-26-2007, 03:35 PM
Quote[/b] (KE4UWL @ Oct. 26 2007,08:16)]
Quote[/b] (KC5CSG @ Oct. 26 2007,11:07)]
Quote[/b] (n8yx @ Oct. 26 2007,07:47)]My advice to the AMers on board is to 'camp' on 3870...(use it or lose it)...and if subjected to willful and/or malicious interference, obtain recordings of the violations (with callsigns audible) and send 'em to Riley. Or his replacement.

Jerry
I don't mean to suggest anything like that...

I *do* mean to suggest that with 200 KHz available to Generals (twice that to Extras), it ain't that hard to find a frequency that doesn't conflict with published band plans. #I went to public school in Oklahoma and *I* can do it...

No, it's not illegal to operate SSB anywhere from 3.800 to 4.000, not in the strictest sense. #Nobody's breaking any rule by operating SSB on 3.870. #But they are being jerks.
Really now, who's being a bigger jerk? A person that is operating according to the rules of using just enough bandwidth to conduct telephony communications or the person that is using a little less than TWO TIMES the needed bandwidth?

I can understand if an operater is operating equipment that doesn't support SSB but is strictly AM. I think it's highly unlikely that these AM'ers have AM only rigs. I'll bet there is a SSB mode on all of their radios. Well, at least most of them.

Again, who's the bigger jerks? Bandwidth hogs that take up enough space to handle twice the traffic if it were conducted using SSB or the people that are operating SSB abiding by the rules?

Yeah, I'm seeing the CB mentality here.

Edited in a few minutes later:

Lets look at what the ARRL says about the freqs in question. They have them listed as AM call freqencies. We all know what a call frequency is. It's a place to call out in that mode and then move on to a frequency that isn't causing interference to people. So where in the world are you getting that these are AM only frequencies. Why is an AM net getting off it OWNES the AM call freq? Going by that logic then they may be interfering with other lowered power AM stations that would like to call out to another AM station before QSY'ing to a clear freq. Food for thought.

Jerry

N8YX
10-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Quote[/b] (KC5CSG @ Oct. 26 2007,08:07)]

Quote[/b] (n8yx @ Oct. 26 2007,07:47)]

Quote[/b] ]Camp on the freqency? So you mean to say you can have a conversation that is 24/7??

If one group or another wants to use a frequency, they'll actively use it. If not...it's fair game for anyone else who happens along.

Should the AMers wish not to be 'run off' of a given band segment or spot therein, they need to establish an active presence.

Simple.

Quote[/b] ] How long can you keep that up?

'HLR can monologue for a mighty long time, as others who operate the mode will attest. And they'll likely 'keep it up' for as long as they wish to use the frequency.

First come; first served. As long as the group doesn't relinquish a given frequency by closing their net, it's theirs.

Which brings us to the next point:

Quote[/b] ]So you're saying that if the freq is silent for, lets say, 10 minutes and some SSB operator tries to use it you start operating again claiming you were using the freq?

That is NOT what I said, and we both know it.

Should a given net clear off 'their' frequency, it is now open for others to use. But as long as THEY are using the frequency, no other group can usurp it.

Capisce?

Quote[/b] ] Hmmm, sounds like something some CB clubs try to do on "their channel" but hey, CB'ers love AM too. I can see why this crowd would love to "own" a freqency.

Did CBers eat your baby?

Quote[/b] ]Wow, and you're worried about what will happen when the chicken banders get on our bands..........seems to me they're already here.

They have been for years; nothing new there. From what I'm able to gather, some are purported to operate on 75M...

K4GUN
10-26-2007, 03:51 PM
Yeah, I thought that was the purpose of a "calling frequency". You call, make a contact and then move to a clear frequency for your QSO. I'm a new guy so tell me if I don't have that right.

N8YX
10-26-2007, 03:56 PM
Quote[/b] (k4gun @ Oct. 26 2007,08:51)]Yeah, I thought that was the purpose of a "calling frequency". You call, make a contact and then move to a clear frequency for your QSO. I'm a new guy so tell me if I don't have that right.
You're correct.

Others may infer that the term means "(name)calling" frequency, but whatever floats their boat...

KN4DS
10-26-2007, 04:02 PM
Quote[/b] (KC5CSG @ Oct. 26 2007,11:35)]Really now, who's being a bigger jerk? A person that is operating according to the rules of using just enough bandwidth to conduct telephony communications or the person that is using a little less than TWO TIMES the needed bandwidth?

I can understand if an operater is operating equipment that doesn't support SSB but is strictly AM. I think it's highly unlikely that these AM'ers have AM only rigs. I'll bet there is a SSB mode on all of their radios. Well, at least most of them.
Many of the serious AM operators don't use rigs built for the amateur service at all... they run AM broadcast transmitters that've been retuned to the ham bands... which, frankly, ain't all that hard to do. Few of them have VFOs, as well.

Also, when you talk about the calling frequency and who's being a bigger jerk... c'mon, now... it has to be a jerk that starts up a net on/near a published calling frequency, wouldn't you agree? Regardless of mode?

You can't, legally, "call" on the calling frequency if it's in use...

And I wouldn't call anybody a jerk for operating their favorite mode... so long as that mode's legal. AM is legal.

The point is that on each band, there are a few frequencies that have been published as specific purposes... and, in general, most amateurs respect those gentleman's agreements. It's considered good amateur operating practice.

No, you don't have to abide by any of them. But don't be surprised if you're called a jerk or a lid by those who do.

KB1JCY
10-26-2007, 09:53 PM
*sigh* This thread has gone to shirt.

KB1JCY
10-26-2007, 09:55 PM
Haters! The lot of yuo!