PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Automatic ID (EAI)?

K3YLE
08-21-2007, 02:50 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm looking to get myself a HT for my birthday. A present to me, if you will. Of course, I have the same two concerns as anyone else, price and functionality. I would really like to have a large-receive spectrum, so I can use it at my firehouse as well (as a scanner, not as a tx), so please feel free to recommend me something.

In my journeys, I found the .Yaesu VX-6R (http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/0666.html), for $250. However, one feature is puzzling me. The EAI, or Emergency Automatic Identification.

Quote[/b] ]he new "Emergency Automatic ID" (EAI) system, which automatically causes the VX-6R to transmit your call sign and engage your rig's microphone, even if you are disabled and unable to press the PTT switch;

What in the world is this? A one-touch button that plays a clip of your callsign, and keeps the PTT down? I'm lost with this one.

KY5U
08-21-2007, 02:55 PM
Do a Google search on "Emergency Automatic Identification" just like I would.

W7KI
08-21-2007, 02:56 PM
Its a cheesy sales gimmick. About as useful as the multicolor LED or barometer option on the VX7R.

K3YLE
08-21-2007, 03:49 PM
Quote[/b] (AG4YO @ Aug. 21 2007,07:55)]Do a Google search on "Emergency Automatic Identification" just like I would.
That was my first plan of action, but I only got back reviews, all of which said "Include "Emergency Automatic Identification"" to some extent.

Also W7KI, even so, I'm still curious. :-/ Call it the downside of being youthful :-P

W9RFM
08-21-2007, 07:50 PM
Quote[/b] (KB3LXF @ Aug. 20 2007,10:49)]
Quote[/b] (AG4YO @ Aug. 21 2007,07:55)]Do a Google search on "Emergency Automatic Identification" just like I would.
That was my first plan of action, but I only got back reviews, all of which said "Include "Emergency Automatic Identification"" to some extent.

Also W7KI, even so, I'm still curious. :-/ Call it the downside of being youthful :-P
Read all about it in the VX-6R Operating Manual, starting at page 62:

http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS....hived=0 (http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=111&encProdID=4C6F204F6FEBB5BAFA58BCC1C131EAC0&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0)

Bob - KC9JUB

W4INF
08-21-2007, 08:29 PM
I like my VX-170. Around here at least, 2m is where all the traffic is at.

WA2ZDY
08-21-2007, 09:15 PM
Reading the manual in the link provided above, it looks to me like something the cop/firefighter wannabees or someone who is using the radio illegally on a public safety system would use.

KI4WEJ
08-21-2007, 09:20 PM
Nope we wouldn't use it!

I think it would be best serve someone that was hiking!

K0PVW
08-22-2007, 03:54 AM
Quote[/b] (WA2ZDY @ Aug. 21 2007,14:15)]Reading the manual in the link provided above, it looks to me like something the cop/firefighter wannabees or someone who is using the radio illegally on a public safety system would use.
Since when did using your ham radio around the firehouse as a scanner become illegal and make us wanna-be's?? I use my ham around the firehouse all the time in fact after chores are done you, can find me listening in on HF. Also Ham radio comes into play on the FD during storm season, I have more reliable access to the Natioal Weater Service than our public service radios do. As a matter of fact Ham radio plays a crucial role in a emergency alerting system for the FD I used to work for. The is a popular swimming hole near a low head dam, if the emergency box id s opened it automatically transmits a beacon signal which in turn lites a light at the FD and at the dispatch center.
Remember some of us hams are actually active in our communities and dont sit around. Rob

K3YLE
08-22-2007, 12:28 PM
Quote[/b] (kb0pvw @ Aug. 21 2007,20:54)]
Quote[/b] (WA2ZDY @ Aug. 21 2007,14:15)]Reading the manual in the link provided above, it looks to me like something the cop/firefighter wannabees or someone who is using the radio illegally on a public safety system would use.
Since when did using your ham radio around the firehouse as a scanner become illegal and make us wanna-be's?? I use my ham around the firehouse all the time in fact after chores are done you, can find me listening in on HF. Also Ham radio comes into play on the FD during storm season, I have more reliable access to the Natioal Weater Service than our public service radios do. As a matter of fact Ham radio plays a crucial role in a emergency alerting system for the FD I used to work for. The is a popular swimming hole near a low head dam, if the emergency box id s opened it automatically transmits a beacon signal which in turn lites a light at the FD and at the dispatch center.
Remember some of us hams are actually active in our communities and dont sit around. Rob
I don't think he meant it in that way WA2ZDY. I took it as a "A guy with a radio, who thinks he can manage doing S&R Ops without a support crew", or some random ham who tried to help out, but ends up getting hurt.

WA2ZDY
08-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Quote[/b] (KB3LXF @ Aug. 22 2007,08:28)]Quote by KBPVW:
Quote[/b] ]Since when did using your ham radio around the firehouse as a scanner become illegal and make us wanna-be's?? I use my ham around the firehouse all the time in fact after chores are done you, can find me listening in on HF. Also Ham radio comes into play on the FD during storm season, I have more reliable access to the Natioal Weater Service than our public service radios do. As a matter of fact Ham radio plays a crucial role in a emergency alerting system for the FD I used to work for. The is a popular swimming hole near a low head dam, if the emergency box id s opened it automatically transmits a beacon signal which in turn lites a light at the FD #and at the dispatch center.
I don't think he meant it in that way WA2ZDY. I took it as a "A guy with a radio, who thinks he can manage doing S&R Ops without a support crew", or some random ham who tried to help out, but ends up getting hurt.
Thank you KB3LXF, that's exactly what I meant. #That and my second reference was to those who modify ham gear and use it to transmit illegally on public safety frequencies. # I don't see this EAI feature being terribly useful in normal ham operations.

KBPVW, you did stretch a bit to twist my words into your interpretation. # There is certainly nothing wrong with using your ham rig at the firehouse. #And if you are a firefighter, you obviously are not a wannabe.

Listening to the NWS is not a function of a ham radio. #Your ham rig can do that incidentally as a function of its extended receive capability. # It has naught to do with the subject of the EAI feature.

Quote[/b] ]As a matter of fact Ham radio plays a crucial role in a emergency alerting system for the FD I used to work for. The is a popular swimming hole near a low head dam, if the emergency box id s opened it automatically transmits a beacon signal which in turn lites a light at the FD #and at the dispatch center.You're doing this with ham radio? #I interpret your description to mean when a citizen in need opens the "emergency box" (whatever that means exactly) a signal is transmitted by radio to the firehouse.

This sounds like an outstanding use of technology, but not of ham radio (amateur radio as defined by 47CFR Part 97.) # To cause a transmitter to operate in an amateur band, there must be an amateur station license and the person activating the transmitter must have an amateur operator's license of the appropriate class for the frequency and mode used. #

Essentially that means this emergency box alarm system cannot use ham radio unless you can insure that only hams open the box. # And a ham radio transmitter cannot be used on public safety frequencies for this purpose either.

I think (hope!) we simply have a misunderstanding of terminology here.

Again though, none of the examples you cite have any relation to my comments about illegal transmitter usage or wannabees.

K0PVW
08-23-2007, 03:21 AM
Quote[/b] (WA2ZDY @ Aug. 22 2007,14:28)]
Quote[/b] ]As a matter of fact Ham radio plays a crucial role in a emergency alerting system for the FD I used to work for. The is a popular swimming hole near a low head dam, if the emergency box id s opened it automatically transmits a beacon signal which in turn lites a light at the FD #and at the dispatch center.You're doing this with ham radio? #I interpret your description to mean when a citizen in need opens the "emergency box" (whatever that means exactly) a signal is transmitted by radio to the firehouse.

This sounds like an outstanding use of technology, but not of ham radio (amateur radio as defined by 47CFR Part 97.) # To cause a transmitter to operate in an amateur band, there must be an amateur station license and the person activating the transmitter must have an amateur operator's license of the appropriate class for the frequency and mode used. #

Essentially that means this emergency box alarm system cannot use ham radio unless you can insure that only hams open the box. # And a ham radio transmitter cannot be used on public safety frequencies for this purpose either.

I think (hope!) we simply have a misunderstanding of terminology here.

Again though, none of the examples you cite have any relation to my comments about illegal transmitter usage or wannabees.
A little more on the system, as I remember it it is actually opperated and maintained by the local radio opperators in the area. I am not sure on all the system, I did not work there long enough or get to see the whole alert system, there may have also been another radio for the public service side. Rob

W4INF
08-24-2007, 12:17 AM
Quote[/b] (W7KI @ Aug. 21 2007,07:56)]Its a cheesy sales gimmick. About as useful as the multicolor LED or barometer option on the VX7R.
What he said, X2.

KI4OXD
08-24-2007, 10:17 AM
It's a pain in the neck on the VX-7R untill you figure out how to turn the @#$% thing off. What genius decided that the same button that allows you to monitor the repeater input frequency should also activate this function? http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

ad: dxeng