PDA

View Full Version : registering XP

K9FV
08-08-2007, 03:59 PM
How many folks register XP (and Vista?) via internet vs phone call?

What are the advantages of each?

Thanks for the info.

Ken H>

WS2L
08-08-2007, 04:08 PM
I can't say one is better than the other but I always do it online.

KC7UP
08-08-2007, 05:42 PM
Online is fastest and easiest.
Curt

VE3SRE
08-08-2007, 07:25 PM
An organization I did some work for a number of months ago had purchased four brand new computers. They forgot to "activate" them within the time limit and Windows XP expired. So it was impossible to activate them online.

So, the four machines had to be activated by telephone. What a nightmare it was! It took about an hour to get them all done! It seems that the Microsoftie on the other end of the line couldn't quite "get" the idea that someone would activate four machines by telephone.

I'm glad I'm a Linux user http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

K9FV
08-08-2007, 08:51 PM
When I installed XP OS last week, I used the phone method and it took perhaps 5 minutes.... The computer could not understand my perfectly good "Southern drawl" so I got transferred to a person. The only question asked was for the ID number on the screen, then he gave me a registeration number to enter. When very smooth.

When registering on-line, doesn't the computer take some info from your computer requiring a new registeration if you change the MB or some other parts? Then if you need to upgrade the computer there could be some hassle about if this was a new system or something like that? When I registered by phone, there were no questions about that.

73 de Ken H.

KE5CAX
08-08-2007, 08:58 PM
If you change too many of the parts in a set time I think it is 45 days the registration will come up again. Th OS tracks about 20 parts in the system and if too many change during the time period you have to reactivate. if you have not reactivated in the last 30 days I think you can do it onlne but if you have you must call.

Ed

K9FV
08-09-2007, 12:18 PM
Is there any limit as to how many times you can reactivate?

WA3KYY
08-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Quote[/b] (K9FV @ Aug. 08 2007,16:51)]When I installed XP OS last week, I used the phone method and it took perhaps 5 minutes.... #The computer could not understand my perfectly good "Southern drawl" so I got transferred to a person. #The only question asked was for the ID number on the screen, then he gave me a registeration number to enter. #When very smooth.

When registering on-line, doesn't the computer take some info from your computer requiring a new registeration if you change the MB or some other parts? #Then if you need to upgrade the computer there could be some hassle about if this was a new system or something like that? #When I registered by phone, there were no questions about that.

73 de Ken H.
I have always registered online except for one case. I replaced the motherboard on my computer in the shack and of course had to do a "repair install" to load the specific drivers for the new motherboard chipset. The system then said that too much hardware had changed and I needed to call Microsoft to register. The automated telephone system worked perfectly and in 5 or so minutes I was up on the new motherboard with a fully functioning XP system. All updates and patches, including the Authenticity Guarenteed tool have worked without a problem. I suspect what has happened is that the old hardware signature in the database used to detect possible piracy was updated and if I ever went back to the old motherboard with that license string I would be unable to activate XP.

AB8RU
08-10-2007, 01:44 PM
I always do it on line this way if you have any updates when you toggle automatic updates it at least has the timelyness of doing so. also on ocassion click on the updates button it will perform a search for updates.

I do this once in awhile.