View Full Version : Yaesu FT-60R

KC2ROA
07-20-2007, 10:43 PM
Hey gents. Just wanted to know if anyone as firsthand
experience with the Yaesu FT-60R. Any info would be
welcomed.Thanks de Ron.

N6ZP
07-21-2007, 01:41 AM
Yes, I have two (2) Yaesu Ft-60's in the Home. Both my daughters are Techs and they are able to handle them fairly easily.
I haven't owned other HT's before, but I'm told they compare greatly to the Icom's and VX-2 which has a major intermod problem supposedly.
Pro's
I am able to hit repeaters 10, 25 and nearly 40 miles away from my QTH. I am on a slight hill though and most of the repeaters are on Palomar mountain.
Again I own two because they made sense between price and features.

Aluminum Case -Pretty Rugged
Large enough display and DTMF Keypad
Clear sounding
Free Software / some cost to be had via Internet
Great Frequency receive range, Dual band 2M / 440

Con's
Factory antenna is terrible. I have a Pryme on one ($25)
You should add a "Tiger Tail" to decouple yourself from radio and throw a better signal. 19.75" piece of #14 or #12 stranded
When standing on shelf/Table, can easily be knocked down.
The WIRES key/Function is easily hit on and I have heard people complain to other Hams to turn it off when on repeaters, so I've been careful to ensure it's off. It creates a delay and a tone when keying.

I have not yet done any packet or other modes other than FM, so I am limited in my review, but I do recommenc them.

73's

John

K3ZOR
07-25-2007, 12:49 AM
I do not personally have an FT-60R, but a blind ham friend of mine has one and I have programmed it for him. The programming is very easy and according to him, it is very user friendly even for the visually impaired. I work him regularly on simplex and the repeaters on both bands and it has nice transmitted audio.

Jim - K3ZOR

KC0YND
07-29-2007, 05:25 AM
I have a FT60 but I do not have anything to compare it with since I have only been a ham for about ten months and it is the only radio that I have right now. Being new to the game I do find a lot of the programing part of the radio to be confusing but that could just be me. I get pretty good coverage when I am using my mag mount in the truck but when I bring it inside and use a homemade dipole hung from the cieling coverage is not very good. I like the radio and think it is does a good job for what it is designed to do but I just wish the manule was a little bit clearer for us newbes. Ford Egge

w8qg
09-24-2007, 01:33 AM
I've owned my Ft-60 for almost a year now and have found it to be a pretty rugged unit. It has recently developed a problem where the LCD display totally blanks out when I attempt to change frequencies, and the only way to reset it is to power-off and back on. The audio is great. The power drain during receive is very reasonable and I also have set the scan to include the weather alert so I can be on top of the situation if an alert is broadcast by NOAA. Overall I would give the unit a 9 out of 10.

K0LIN
10-11-2007, 08:19 AM
i have one of these, a very nice radio. i find the standard antenna to be pretty good for its size, depends what you expect out of a short antenna! One gripe i do have is if you use the extention speaker mike (mh34) then unless you wrap a rubber-band around the plug/radio it pulls out VERY easily as it just pushes in, not like some that screw in.
colin

KE5DFR
10-15-2007, 12:21 AM
I have had mine fro over two years now and no problems. I often operate around Houston on it in my wifes car and a mag mount antenna. The problems are small knobs and big fingers....change frequency when trying to adjust volume. Also, the stock antenna is marginal.

I also have to use a rubber band to insure the speaker mic does not unplug when using it.

Otherwise a great HT for the money.

Ken KE5DFR

KD0BXT
11-09-2007, 05:23 PM
hello,

i've only been a ham for about 2 weeks and the ft-60 is the first radio i bought thus far its seems pretty good i guess my bigest complaint is the amount of interfernce it picks up and adjusting the squelch to cut the noise just drops voice. i'm guessing this is just the ant. overall thought i like it.

WB5JC
03-15-2009, 04:22 PM
I am new to the hobby and after reading around decided that the Yaesu might be the best buy. I was right for once. It has been a great, easy to use, HT. The manual actually made sense and was simple. The programming does take some practice, but 2 weeks into it I feel pretty good about it.

The only downside was the antenna. I had read a lot about the poor quality of antennas that come with the HT's. They were correct in my case. My nearest repeater is about 7 miles and I was getting poor signal reports that consisted of not full-quieting and that the signal dropped very quickly. I ordered a Comet SMA3, a tri-band with a hinge and very flexible, and what a difference. The next morning after I put it on i worked a repeater 18 miles away and had a good signal report. Several of the postings and such that I had read about the antenna hinted at SWR issues. From the signal reports I received, I believe this to be the case. I didn't have all the connectors to verify it, it was cheaper to just buy another antenna.

I also got the standard speaker mic. It is ok, I had to make sure to back off of it as I tend to talk loud. I noticed several of you are having trouble with the mic connection. I placed the cord under the belt clip and it stays connected just fine.

I don't think you can go wrong with the FT60 at all. To me, it is a great way to get started in the hobby, Just buy an antenna when you order it.

K5OP
04-17-2009, 07:19 PM
I have a Yaesu FT-60r, and an Icom IC-91AD... I love the FT-60r over the 91AD...

I use to have a Kenwood TH-G71A and gave it to a friend who took and passed his tech at my encouragement, and so I gave it to him, and bought the FT-60r. I like the FT-60r, its a very solid radio. I bought the IC-91AD for DSTAR, and have found that I really don't use the rig much. I use the Yaesu more often.

ad: WarrenG-1