PDA

View Full Version : FT-897D 2nd set menu

YC2YTH
06-13-2007, 07:06 PM
I need information for seting FT-897D TX gain on 2nd set menu. I ever try to set bigger number but output power still same.
Best Regards
YD2YTH http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

KE5FRF
06-13-2007, 07:36 PM
Quote[/b] (YD2YTH @ June 13 2007,14:06)]I need information for seting FT-897D TX gain on 2nd set menu. I ever try to set bigger number but output power still same.
Best Regards
YD2YTH http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif
Are you refering to the RF output from 5-100 watts, in the menu?

It is a simple matter of pressing the menu switch, then scrolling the small knob to the RF output screen (they're in alphabetical order), then turning the large tuning knob up or down to change output power.

Is this what you are referring to?

W7LPN
06-13-2007, 11:01 PM
mods.dk
has the instructions. It worked on mine. http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

W5HTW
06-14-2007, 12:31 AM
The maximum power output on two meters is 50 watts, on HF it is 100 watts.

The menu will not take you higher than that. When you switch from VHF to HF, if you have it set on HF for 100 watts, it will go there automatically. But when you switch to two meters, it goes to 50 watts. I would not recommend attempting to get more out of it on any band than the limits set by the manufacturer.

You must set the power with the main tuning knob. However, once you have set it, you MUST save those settings by pressing and holding the "F" key until you hear the double beep. Then your new setting will be saved.

Ed

W7LPN
06-14-2007, 05:44 AM
Quote[/b] (W5HTW @ June 13 2007,17:31)]The maximum power output on two meters is 50 watts, on HF it is 100 watts. #

The menu will not take you higher than that. #When you switch from VHF to HF, if you have it set on HF for 100 watts, it will go there automatically. But when you switch to two meters, it goes to 50 watts. #I would not recommend attempting to get more out of it on any band than the limits set by the manufacturer.

You must set the power with the main tuning knob. #However, once you have set it, you MUST save those settings by pressing and holding the "F" key until you hear the double beep. #Then your new setting will be saved.

Ed
I beg to differ. I did the mod on mods.dk in the menu option mentioned there. I'm now, on the watt meter, around 80 watts on 2 meters and around 140-160 watts on HF ssb depending on frequency. This mod works, however it may void your warranty, as the author advises. I did this mod 2 years ago w/o any problems. The automatic fan and heat sensing power reduction circuits are superior in this radio. My opinion only. http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

N3EF
06-14-2007, 12:14 PM
There is a second hidden menu with 74 functions that you access through a secret power up procedure. I don't recommend the change. Going from 50w vhf to 87w or 100w hf to 165w will gain you nothing but a rig that runs hotter and demands more from your power supply.

Eric N3EF

YC2YTH
06-14-2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks for all responses.
what i need is description whenever i try to change both parameters,
setting value and frequency that state on 2nd set menu display.
Do i have to press F key or turn off the rig to make it done.
73 YD2YTH:rock:

KE5FRF
06-14-2007, 12:32 PM
Quote[/b] (w7lpn @ June 14 2007,00:44)]
Quote[/b] (W5HTW @ June 13 2007,17:31)]The maximum power output on two meters is 50 watts, on HF it is 100 watts. #

The menu will not take you higher than that. #When you switch from VHF to HF, if you have it set on HF for 100 watts, it will go there automatically. But when you switch to two meters, it goes to 50 watts. #I would not recommend attempting to get more out of it on any band than the limits set by the manufacturer.

You must set the power with the main tuning knob. #However, once you have set it, you MUST save those settings by pressing and holding the "F" key until you hear the double beep. #Then your new setting will be saved.

Ed
I beg to differ. I did the mod on mods.dk in the menu option mentioned there. I'm now, on the watt meter, around 80 watts on 2 meters and around 140-160 watts on HF ssb depending on frequency. This mod works, however it may void your warranty, as the author advises. I did this mod 2 years ago w/o any problems. The automatic fan and heat sensing power reduction circuits are superior in this radio. My opinion only. #http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif
Yes, but in the long run will the finals on a modified rig last as long as the factory set rig? Even if we're only talking about a a couple of years of life, is it worth it for less than a dB of gain?

I'm with the other guys, it just doesn't seem "worth it" to me. I tend to fall on the side of running less power when I can rather than more.

However, I will have to admit that the idea sounds good "in a way" if one is discliplined enough to keep the power down to 100 watts 99% of the time and only "push it" when that rare DX comes along.

YC2YTH
06-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Factory set menu for maximum 100 watt on HF SSB only give me 60 - 80 watt on my external power meter, I want to change it become 100 watt.:D

N3EF
06-14-2007, 12:55 PM
Yes, you must cycle the power for the change to take effect. Doing this will reset all your memories as well.

Eric N3EF

W0LPQ
06-14-2007, 12:57 PM
YTH if you are looking at the meter while speaking and only seeing this power level ... this is quite normal. The meter cannot respond quickly enough to see 100W. Look at the meter in either FM or CW and see if you do not have 100W.

If you do ... then things are fine.

However it is YOUR radio to break, burn, spindle or mutilate as you deem necessary.

I am with Ed, why waste the extra power for almost nothing on the other guys meter!

Bill, W0LPQ/9

W5HTW
06-14-2007, 02:59 PM
First, if you are reading only 80 watts on the external power meter, be sure that meter is actually correct, and be sure you are reading that into a dummy load.

Secondly, check the DC voltage as indicated on the display of the FT897D. Depending upon your power cable, the voltage at the radio may be less than the voltage at the power supply. Check that voltage while transmitting in FM mode at full power. If it is not 13.8 volts, you need a better power cable or better power supply. You will find the radio will deliver about 95 watts to a dummy load if the supply voltage AT THE RADIO, reads13.8 volts under transmit conditions, steady carrier.

Third. Increasing the power to 167 watts output on HF is likely exceeding the radio's design parameters. It may stress numerous components, including the RF output transistors, but in particular the bandpass filter components. I have seen this problem specifically on the Icom 706 where bandpass filter compoents were damaged by excessive power.

Fourth, yes such a modification would void the warranty. If your radio is no longer in warranty, that is not a problem, of course.

Fifth, increasing power from 50 to 70 watts on VHF won't be noticeable except on your wattmeter.

Of course I say all this from a warranty viewpoint. My own is still in warranty and I have not removed even one screw in the cover. Whether I ever will or not, who knows? If I do, it will likely be for some routine maintenance.

At any rate, I think you already have the answer. When you change any parameter in the second menu settings, you have to press and hold the "F" button for one second to save those settings. I believe that is what you were asking.

Good luck

Ed

YC2YTH
06-14-2007, 03:19 PM
Thanks for all.
This mean i have to switch to Plan B, Leave the rig as the factory state set, and saving money for buy linear amp.
73 YD2YTH

W7LPN
06-16-2007, 04:26 AM
A tone generator or long drawn out "Aaaaaudiooooo" into a dummy load will tell you if what it's really putting out, and help you know if your antenna is a good match. http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

N4RMT
06-16-2007, 01:39 PM
Quote[/b] (w7lpn @ June 15 2007,21:26)]long drawn out "Aaaaaudiooooo"
...Please, please, DON'T do that on the air.... Like he said, use a dummy load.
(trying to recover from the CB Heebie Jeebies that caused just then) http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

YC2YTH
06-16-2007, 02:28 PM
I need minimum RF output power 100 watt for throwing audio from my audio rack. Right now i am using B1 microphone, MIC 200 pre amp, DSP 110 and ultravec Behringer audio Accs. Thats why:D

W0LPQ
06-16-2007, 02:31 PM
How do you throw audio? What do you catch it with?

This I gotta see..!

Bill, W0LPQ/9

W5HTW
06-16-2007, 03:01 PM
Quote[/b] (YD2YTH @ June 16 2007,07:28)]I need minimum RF output power 100 watt for throwing audio from my audio rack. Right now i am using B1 microphone, MIC 200 pre amp, DSP 110 and ultravec Behringer audio Accs. Thats why:D
Ah, no wonder.

Ed