PDA

View Full Version : Can I use a TURNER SSB+2 Powered Microphone

K3RRR
06-07-2007, 07:48 PM
I have a Turner SSB+2 Microphone. #It uses 4 wires - 2 for mic and 2 for PTT. #It was originally designed for CB work and was used on a lot of early(1970's) ham gear. #However, that does not mean it will be any good on current equipment, specifically the Icom 718.

I want to know if this paticular microphone design will match the Icom 718 - and if people think that is worth the trouble doing it. #I don't need the up/down feature - I can reach the radio for that. #It also looks like there are features available that are not used with the stock microphone that I don't need either. #

The stock microphone uses only four wires just as the Turner. #I don't know the impedence of the mic. The radio requires 600 ohms. #This is where my thinking runs into a wall.

Bob

K0CMH
06-07-2007, 08:49 PM
I am having trouble finding specifications for the +2 series microphones, however, if it is anything like the Turner +3, then I can help.

I am assuming the +2 is an amplified mic.

I use a Turner +3 directly into my IC-718 and get very glowing audio reports. #I have not had to make any adaptors, etc. #I just wired one of the 8 pin mic plugs as follows:

You need to determine which wire is the microphone output lead and which is the microphone ground lead. #You can usually do this by taking the bottom base off the mic and tracing the colored mic cord wires to the push to talk switch and then to the amplifier circuit board.

Page 8 of the IC-718 manual has the pin-out diagram for the IC-718 mic connector.

Pin 1 = mic input (the hot lead for the audio from the mic).
Pin 7 = mic ground (the "return" wire for the mic audio).
Pin 5 = goes to one connector on the PTT section of the switch on the Turner +2.
Pin 6 = goes to the other connector on the PTT section of the switch on the Turner +2.
Pin 8 = mic cord shield.

Hopefully, someone here can provide the color scheme for the wiring of the SSB +2.

You will probably have to adjust the mic gain on the 718. #Start out with the SSB+2 volume control set to zero, or the minimum setting. #Then I recommend setting the 718 mic gain at about 50%. #Watch your ALC and adjust the SSB+2 volume to get nearly full ALC deflection on the IC-718 meter. #Then check the power out on the IC718 meter. #When you get the ALC to almost full deflection and the power-out at or almost the full amount as the radio is set at, then make a contact with a Ham that will help you zero in the setting for best audio and watts output. You may have to nudge the 718's mic gain setting and the ssb+2's volume setting until you get the perfect balance.

Good luck.

K3RRR
06-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Thank you, This the information needed....

bob

W5HTW
06-07-2007, 09:23 PM
It may not help throw MORE pounds, but it may very well help throw WIDER ones. Doesn't the 718 have a compressor?

During the CB craze, I sold lots of Plus 2 and Plus 3 microphones to those who thought it would increase their power. What it does do is amplify the cats crying four rooms away, or the baby across the street. Why would you want to do that? Of course, on CB radios where modulation limiters were used, cranking the Plus Two up to 10 didn't really do much beyond make one feel better. And making that baby louder. On amateur radio, where limiting is not done, it does a LOT more than that! So be careful!

OK, I am not a power mic fan. Except on CB, where they go hand in hand with coax oil and stainless steel SWR grease.

But as the other fellow says, yeah, it can be done. If you do it, have someone check your signal both sides of your *intended* signal to see if you are splattering very far, and how much.

And be sure to turn OFF the 718s speech processing.

Ed

K8JD
06-07-2007, 11:16 PM
The Turner+2 #is a + mike #or powermike and can blow out your radio if you turn it up too high!!!
At least that's what I have heard. Don't work fone here.

K8JD
06-07-2007, 11:17 PM
http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

W9GB
06-07-2007, 11:17 PM
Bob -

Well I got a good laugh about your posting.

Quote[/b] ]It was originally designed for CB work and was used on a lot of early (1970's) ham gear.
Early amateur gear is more like 1910s and 1920s - spark gap, etc.

Turner microphone wiring
http://www.ericbraun.com/turner/wiring.htm

Matching microphones to modern radios just requires some basic audio knowledge (impedence, microphone elements, de-coupling capacitors for Icom, etc.) and the correct wiring.
http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/harmonics.htm#DC

History of Turner microphones
http://www.ericbraun.com/turner/default.htm

w9gb

K3WRV
06-08-2007, 12:41 AM
Use a number of Turner mics here- both amplified and ceramic or xtal - for sentimental reasons - they were made in Cedar Rapids, IA, along with Collins radios). They work well. In fact, the Collins mics were made by Turner! They were also advertised in QST for many years. They aren't "CB mikes" and they aren't "CB Quality" either, but then neither are D-104's which were around when 11 meters was still a ham band, and probably since the 1930's. At least one of the stock Icom desk mics, and My TenTec hand mic (think it's a 706?) are also amplified.

One comment - watch out if you have a weak battery or an intermittent in the connector in the mic (probably one of the ground wires at the 4 prong plug) or you'll get all kinds of distortion! http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif caused by RF getting into the audio.

Keep your processor turned down and watch your ALC and you'll do Just Fine!

KG4ULT
06-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Hello Sir,

I currently have a turner +3 desk mic wired for my IC718. The radio has a compressor but the stock mic is lacking in the audio area. Once using the +3 the audio increased and amazingly no kids in background...HIHI

What you have to do is keep mic gain on the actual microphone as low as possible and just adjust your mic gain using the radio. With another operator listnening to your transmitions you can increase gain on mic slowly until audio is strong with no ambient noise.

This is not CB and you do not want a wide signal (causing interference) nor be overmodulated to the point no one wants to talk to you.

I too get good audio reports with my microphone, however i will by a REAL microphone used for amateur by HEIL here soon. Better safe than sorry. I want crystal clear booming audio; of course without all the other WIFI stuff.

Mine is wired like this

7-shield
5-ptt (black)
1-audio (white)

PIN 2 has 8V present DO NOT USE!!
PIN 3 is chn up and down not needed
PIN 4 NOT needed either
PIN 6 not needed either

At least that is how mine is wired and works great, no feed back overmodulation and signal is not splashed all over the place.

Just my experience with this line of microphones

Frank

KA5PIU
06-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Hello.

The reason that amplified mics became popular with CB radios is that the early CB radios used a carbon element, lots of output but not the greatest audio quality.
Later rigs used a crystal or ceramic element, again, lots of output.
Simply connecting a dynamic element is not going to cut it.
No, we need gain, and in this application, a power mic works wonders.
Now, in the era of the all transistor set with ample gain, a power mic makes no sense, but the story lives on.
And, with the electret mic element, with its built-in preamp, we sometimes have the issue of excess gain.

N8UZE
06-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Having to fiddle with both the gain on both the radio and the mic is too much of a nuisance in my opinion so I wouldn't bother with a power mic myself. However my OM does. As the others have said, turn the mic itself as low as possible and use the settings on the radio.

ad: giga-rw