QNF Net is free.
QNG Take over as net control station.
QNI Net stations report in.
QNM You are QRMing the net.
QNN Net control station is [call sign].
QNO Station is leaving the net.
QNP Unable to copy you.
QNS Following stations are in the net.
QNT I request permission to leave the net.
QNU The net has traffic for you.
QNX You are excused from the net
QNY Shift to another frequency.
QNZ Zero beat your signal with mine.
QRG Will you tell me my exact frequency?
QRH Does my frequency vary?
QRJ Are you receiving me badly?
QRK What is the intelligibility of my signals?
QRL Are you busy?
QRM Is my transmission being interfered with?
QRN Are you troubled by static?
QRO Shall I increase power?
QRP Shall I decrease power?
QRQ Shall I send faster?
QRS Shall I send more slowly?
QRT Shall I stop sending?
QRU Have you anything for me?
QRV Are you ready?
QRX When will you call me again?
QRY What is my turn?
QRZ Who is calling me?
QSA What is the strength of my signals?
QSB Are my signals fading?
QSD Is my keying defective?
QSG Shall I send messages?
QSK Can you hear between your signals?
QSL Can you acknowledge receipt?
QSM Shall I repeat the last message?
QSN Did you hear me?
QSO Can you communicate with me?
QSP Will you relay?
QST General call preceding a message.
QSU Shall I send or reply on this frequency?
QSW Will you send on this frequency?
QSX Will you listen?
QSY Shall I change frequency?
QSZ Shall I send each word more than once?
QTA Shall I cancel message?
QTB Do you agree with my counting of words?
QTC How many messages have you to send?
QTH What is your location?
QTR What is the correct time?
================================================== ===================================
Fun Q Codes

OC - Old Chap
OM - Old Man
73 - Best Regards
88 - Hugs and Kisses
XYL - Wife
XL - Overweight Young Lady
YL - Young Lady
Ham Shack - The room the radio is in
HI - Laugh in morse code

N8CPA
04-26-2007, 12:07 PM
A tiny bit Q-grammar Elmering: QN- signals are only used in formal net context. And unlike Q-- signals, I have never heard the QN- series used on voice modes, in or out of nets.

W4HAY
04-26-2007, 12:55 PM
Quote[/b] ]...I have never heard the QN- series used on voice modes, in or out of nets...
That tells you a lot right there, doesn't it?

KB5WX
04-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Q signals are for CW and not for voice . If you want to sound like you are fresh off of 11 m go ahead and use them on phone .

W4MAJ
04-26-2007, 02:42 PM
I hear Q codes on voice all the time. I don't like it, but I accept it. To date, no one has told me 10-4 or they had to 10-100.

Random thought, does "good buddy" still have homosexual overtones?

KB5WX
04-26-2007, 02:50 PM
I was handling a piece of traffic on a net , and the sending station after giving the signature said " QSL " ? I told him no . He asked what part of the message I needed repeated and I told him I got all the message but would not send him a card . the net control station was laughing so hard you could tell he had tears in his eyes . I also hear a lot of Q codes on phone and don't like it either . It sounds rather dorky IMO .

N2RJ
04-26-2007, 02:54 PM
I have to wonder why Greg, who is an avid anti-coder, is teaching about Q codes.

Q codes are for CW, not for phone.

Speak English on phone. It works for me!

KA4CKR
04-26-2007, 03:09 PM
Quote[/b] (kg4kww @ April 26 2007,03:52)]XL - Young Lady
I think you mean YL, not XL.

YL = Young Lady
XYL = Wife, aka "My Old Lady" for those of you around in the 70's
XL = My waist size!

Have a good'un

http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

K4GUN
04-26-2007, 03:19 PM
Quote[/b] (KB5WX @ April 26 2007,06:47)]Q signals are for CW and not for voice . If you want to sound like you are fresh off of 11 m go ahead and use them on phone .
Really? As a new ham, I can't tell you how happy I would be if that were really the case. I hear guys with 1x2 and 2x2 callsigns mention the band having a lot of QRM. They often say "QRL" and "QSO". I'm getting used to it, but it really makes me scramble to figure out what they are saying.

Believe me, this newbie would be quite happy if people just said what they meant in phone mode. Roger roger, over under, mary hartman mary hartman.

N2RJ
04-26-2007, 03:25 PM
Quote[/b] (k4gun @ April 26 2007,10:19)]
Quote[/b] (KB5WX @ April 26 2007,06:47)]Q signals are for CW and not for voice . If you want to sound like you are fresh off of 11 m go ahead and use them on phone .
Really? #As a new ham, I can't tell you how happy I would be if that were really the case. #I hear guys with 1x2 and 2x2 callsigns mention the band having a lot of QRM. #They often say "QRL" and "QSO". #I'm getting used to it, but it really makes me scramble to figure out what they are saying. #

Believe me, this newbie would be quite happy if people just said what they meant in phone mode. #Roger roger, over under, mary hartman mary hartman.
Lots of hams do the wrong thing.

The general guideline is that you are to use plain English on phone, especially on FM. #

Using Q signals and phonetics and words such as "destinated" and also the pro-word "Roger" make for a false sounding "radioese" that is difficult to understand and often wastes valuable air time.

You can use phonetics and Q signals when working a weak station under bad propagation, or when there is a serious language difficulty.

But otherwise, just speak English.

Most people who use "Q" signals on phone are just doing so to sound "official," or out of habit.

It's a bad habit, so cut it out.

K7KBN
04-26-2007, 06:04 PM
Quote[/b] (k4gun @ April 26 2007,07:19)]#I hear guys with 1x2 and 2x2 callsigns mention the band having a lot of QRM. #They often say "QRL" and "QSO". #I'm getting used to it, but it really makes me scramble to figure out what they are saying. #
There are a LOT of brand new hams with vanity call signs, for whatever reason. #A 1X2, 2X1 or 2X2 call doesn't necessarily indicate experience any more.

AC3P
04-26-2007, 06:42 PM
[/QUOTE]Q signals are for CW and not for voice . If you want to sound like you are fresh off of 11 m go ahead and use them on phone .

[/QUOTE]

Hams have been using Q signals on phone before there was an 11 meter band. So if anything I will continue to sound like the OF that I am, rather than fresh from CB.

KF4VGX
04-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Hell just use em on FM repeaters,every one around here seems to think it makes them sound intelligent.

"I'm qsy to the car mobile."

http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif http://frontiernet.net/~arblog/goofball.jpg

U who ! http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

K4GUN
04-26-2007, 07:09 PM
Quote[/b] (k7kbn @ April 26 2007,11:04)]
Quote[/b] (k4gun @ April 26 2007,07:19)]#I hear guys with 1x2 and 2x2 callsigns mention the band having a lot of QRM. #They often say "QRL" and "QSO". #I'm getting used to it, but it really makes me scramble to figure out what they are saying. #
There are a LOT of brand new hams with vanity call signs, for whatever reason. #A 1X2, 2X1 or 2X2 call doesn't necessarily indicate experience any more.
According to the FCC web site, you must have Amateur Extra to get a 1x2, 2x1 or 2x2. I realize that all levels are easier to get now than they used to be, but Extras generally are experienced enough to not be considered fresh from 11 meters.

Now... 1x3 like mine certainly doesn't convey experience. I just happened to find this call sign available the day after I got my Tech license.

N2RJ
04-26-2007, 07:22 PM
Quote[/b] (k4gun @ April 26 2007,14:09)]According to the FCC web site, you must have Amateur Extra to get a 1x2, 2x1 or 2x2. #I realize that all levels are easier to get now than they used to be, but Extras generally are experienced enough to not be considered fresh from 11 meters.
Actually that is no longer true.

There are only three written exams to get an Extra class license, and now there is no code test either.

The question pool is also published, meaning you don't even have to learn the theory anymore.

Therefore, it is very easy for a wet behind the ears newbie to get an extra class license with a 1x3 call.

Even 7 years ago, up to early this year, the code requirement was only 5wpm. #5wpm is ridiculously easy.

I went from zero to extra in one session.

20 Years ago the Extra may have been an indicator of experience. Now it is absolutely not.

KD7MSC
04-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Quote[/b] (KB5WX @ April 25 2007,22:47)]Q signals are for CW and not for voice . If you want to sound like you are fresh off of 11 m go ahead and use them on phone .
Yes Q signals are for CW However there are a few that are common practice on phone. QRZ, QSL, QTH, QRN, QRM etc etc.. To say that if you use these on phone makes you sound like a cb'er is stupid.

Lets see. A common DX contact goes something like this.

"ZL1--- calling cq dx QRZed."

"This is W7---"

"W7--- this is ZL1--- you are 59 QSL"

etc etc etc Contest exchange is about the same.

So you say that anyone using Q signals on phone sounds like a cb'er. Get real.

http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

KL7AJ
04-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Quote[/b] (KA4CKR @ April 26 2007,08:09)]
Quote[/b] (kg4kww @ April 26 2007,03:52)]XL - Young Lady
I think you mean YL, not XL.

YL = Young Lady
XYL = Wife, aka "My Old Lady" for those of you around in the 70's
XL = My waist size!

Have a good'un

I dunno....I think we might actually have some Ex-ladies on here http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

N2RJ
04-26-2007, 07:31 PM
Quote[/b] (kd7msc @ April 26 2007,14:23)]Yes Q signals are for CW However there are a few that are common practice on phone. QRZ, QSL, QTH, QRN, QRM etc etc.. To say that if you use these on phone makes you sound like a cb'er is stupid.

Lets see. A common DX contact goes something like this.

"ZL1--- calling cq dx QRZed."

"This is W7---"

"W7--- this is ZL1--- you are 59 QSL"

etc etc etc Contest exchange is about the same.

So you say that anyone using Q signals on phone sounds like a cb'er. Get real.

http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif
I can understand the use of the term, "QRM" because it's a very short way to say "interference from an adjacent signal."

"QRZ?" has become more of a tradition, and to say, "who is calling me?" is much longer.

But why say "QTH" when you can say "location?" #Saying a Q signal here makes no sense. #

Why say "QSL" at the end of a contest or DX exchange? #Why not just say "over" or just unkey? #Why is saying "QSL" necessary? #It is totally unneccessary. #

Why say, "QRN" when you can say, "noise?"

My point is that using plain English makes your communications much easier to understand than using "radioese."

In fact, you should not be using any Q codes on modes where the speech is clear, such as FM repeaters. #Why would you need it anyway?

Do you use Q codes on the telephone? #What about face to face conversations?

I do agree that they don't make you sound like a CBer. #That's what 10 codes do.

But excessive use of Q codes just sounds stupid and is completely unneccessary for most amateur radio conversations.

KE4NHW
04-26-2007, 07:36 PM
It's one thing to hear a very few select and highly common Q codes on voice every now and then, it's totally another to need a list of Q codes to simply decrypt someone's conversation. #I tend to agree with the plain english approach, let CW and emergency services keep the codes. #Either way, consistency should be the rule, maybe even the Official Rule? #http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

W5HTW
04-26-2007, 07:37 PM
A limited variety of Q-signals have been used on phone operation for well over 60 years. It is "ham-speak" and has nothing to do with CB, TV, CIA, newbies, oldbies, or global warming. It is simply a part of the way amateur radio operators have communicated long before CB radio was invented.

However, they were very limited. QSL, QTH, QRM, and QRN were the main ones, along with QSB, and to some extent QRV and QTC.

There are "common" Q-signals used on amateur radio CW as well. Many of the ones this post starter quoted are NEVER heard in amateur radio, and if they were they would have most hams extremely frustrated while trying to look them up. The suggestion they are "standard" in amateur radio is badly misleading. That may be because the poster knows nothing about amateur radio CW operation, or simply because he did not take the time to review his list. My guess is he just found a list somewhere and thought it would appear he knew what he was talking about if he published it. It had the opposite effect.

By the way, I have almost never heard Q-signals on CB radio. Maybe one or two. CBers adopted the 10-code, not Q-signals. I think a few CBers used "QSL" but they used it to mean a QSL card, not "Yeah, 10-4."

In the very early days of CB, it was used almost exclusively for small business, and those business operators had zero knowledge of Q-signals OR ten-codes. That continued from 1959 to about 1961. Skip openings in 1962 made CB attracive as a hobby and for a short while "wanna-be hams" did use some ham lingo, but it was on a small scale. By the mid 60s, a good many CBers, like a good many of the hams of today, saw themselves as "pretend cops" and they shifted to the tne codes so they could play the role better. (One of the reasons ten codes have been popular on some of the ham VHF bands, a part of the "I wanna be a cop" approach.) But Q-signals were never a mainstream part of CB radio.

Careful how you use those obscure Q-signals. They will cause confusion or even anger, as someone may just think you are playing wise guy and will just end the "QSO!"

Ed

W5HTW
04-26-2007, 07:50 PM
Quote[/b] (kg4kww @ April 25 2007,20:52)]Standard Q-Signals

QNC All net stations copy.
QND Net is directed.
QNE Entire net stand by.
QNF Net is free.
QNG Take over as net control station.
QNI Net stations report in.
QNM You are QRMing the net.
QNN Net control station is [call sign].
QNO Station is leaving the net.
QNP Unable to copy you.
QNS Following stations are in the net.
QNT I request permission to leave the net.
QNU The net has traffic for you.
QNX You are excused from the net
QNY Shift to another frequency.
QNZ Zero beat your signal with mine.

Above used ONLY in CW traffic handling. ONLY.

Below are the normally accepted ones from the list.
See my web site for a complete list of Q and Z signals as used by militry and commercial interests.

QRK What is the intelligibility of my signals?
(Generally means "readability". The actual signal is a 1 to 5 scale. QRK5 means "perfect." That, combined with the QSA - below - is where the "five by five" came from.)

QRL Are you busy?
QRM Is my transmission being interfered with?
QRN Are you troubled by static?
QRO Shall I increase power?
QRP Shall I decrease power?
QRQ Shall I send faster?
QRS Shall I send more slowly?
QRT Shall I stop sending?
QRU Have you anything for me?
QRV Are you ready?
QRX When will you call me again?

QRZ Who is calling me?
QSA What is the strength of my signals?
(Almost never heard in amateur radio. QSA is a 1 to 5 reading, not a 1 to 9. QSA5 is best signal.)

QSB Are my signals fading?

QSK Can you hear between your signals?
(We use this to indicate CW break-in.)

QSL Can you acknowledge receipt?
(Unfortunately, with the influx of CBers into ham radio, this one has been twisted to mean something like "yeah I hear ya" Or: "You agree with that?" Or: "Yeah, 10-4." It is often used in place of "over" as in "I'm going to the meeting tonight, QSL?" I believe this came about as CBers came into this hobby and brought along "10-4" and got chastized for it. So they replaced it with "QSL" and it sounds equally horrible.)

QSO Can you communicate with me?

QST General call preceding a message.
(An amateur radio only signal, not used by any other service. It is often used on phone as well.)

QSX Will you listen?
QSY Shall I change frequency?
QSZ Shall I send each word more than once?
QTA Shall I cancel message?
(Used in traffic handling only.)

QTB Do you agree with my counting of words?
QTC How many messages have you to send?
(Above two used in traffic handling only.)

QTH What is your location?
(This one is often used on phone operation, but not nearly as much as it used to be.. It is, though, still considered acceptable. And is FAR better than "10-20"

================================================== ===================================
Fun Q Codes

OC - Old Chap
OM - Old Man
73 - Best Regards
88 - Hugs and Kisses
XYL - Wife
YL - Young Lady
Ham Shack - The room the radio is in
HI - Laugh in morse code

(Above often used on voice as well. Despite recent objections to it, it has been a part of amateur radio style since amateur radio came back on the air after World War II)
Here are the Standards from the list. Some are not used often, but are usually recognized by most amateurs.

Ed

K8YZK
04-26-2007, 09:17 PM
What Q-signals not for OF's? I wonder why not as it was the OF's that started it way back when cw was the only mode. How many out there in radio land and are ex-military communicators remember not just the Q signals but also Z signals?

I see nothing wrong with using Q's on voice, it might not be PC, but it has been around for a long time. I use QSL,QTH and QRZ I know on voice. It's no big deal if you don't.

This thread reminds me of proper phonics, big deal if it is not correct. This is suppose to be a fun hobby.

My 2 cents before inflation.
Kurt
K8YZK

AI4EP
04-27-2007, 02:18 AM
http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif come on , now folks, ol' KWW was just trying to help. No need in hanging him just because of how a few of you feel.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

KG4KWW
04-27-2007, 06:26 AM
Quote[/b] ]w4maj--Random thought, does "good buddy" still have homosexual overtones?

What do you think big boy!!!! http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

N2CFJ
04-27-2007, 06:29 PM
A couple years ago, my father & I were siting in his kitchen talking radio. the conversation started because he was reading the latest issue of QST. One of us wondered what the origin of QST was. I looked in all the paper and cd references we had and it wasn't in the lists of Q signals. I then called the ARRL and according to the person I spoke to there, the league made it up out of whole cloth to name the magazine. Another innovation by HPM

KC2ESD
04-27-2007, 07:17 PM
KWW You forgot QPP http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Hint: QPP=10-100

N8CPA
04-27-2007, 07:46 PM
I read in an article many years ago, that QST was originally intended a "Attention All League Members." It wasn't considered a private code, because its format was open source, public domain--whatever zeitgheist term applies.

W3WN
04-27-2007, 07:51 PM
Quote[/b] (W4HAY @ April 26 2007,08:55)]
Quote[/b] ]...I have never heard the QN- series used on voice modes, in or out of nets...
Strictly speaking the "QN" codes were developed specifically for amateur CW traffic nets. The old commercially-oriented "official" lists show completely different QN signals.

As a result, it is rare to hear the "QN" codes used outside of the context of CW traffic net. Not impossible, but rare.

Also, strictly speaking, the "Q" codes in general were developed as CW shorthand. A handful of these -- QSL, QTH, QRM, QRN, QRO, QRS to name a few -- have crept into common or semi-common useage on phone, but strictly speaking this is an incorrect and unneccesary useage.

Oh, and the "fun" shorthand abbrevriations & codes shown above aren't "Q" codes by any means... which should be obvious. What's a "fun" Q-code? Well, QLF comes to mind...

KY5U
04-27-2007, 07:52 PM
Quote[/b] (kg4kww @ April 26 2007,23:26)]
Quote[/b] ]w4maj--Random thought, does "good buddy" still have homosexual overtones?

What do you think big boy!!!! http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif
He'll answer your question if you kiss him first.

N8CPA
04-27-2007, 08:09 PM
Quote[/b] (w3wn @ April 27 2007,15:51)]
Quote[/b] (W4HAY @ April 26 2007,08:55)]
Strictly speaking the "QN" codes were developed specifically for amateur CW traffic nets. #The old commercially-oriented "official" lists show completely different QN signals.

As a result, it is rare to hear the "QN" codes used outside of the context of CW traffic net. #Not impossible, but rare.

Also, strictly speaking, the "Q" codes in general were developed as CW shorthand. #A handful of these -- QSL, QTH, QRM, QRN, QRO, QRS to name a few -- have crept into common or semi-common useage on phone, but strictly speaking this is an incorrect and unneccesary useage.

Oh, and the "fun" shorthand abbrevriations & codes shown above aren't "Q" codes by any means... which should be obvious. #What's a "fun" Q-code? #Well, QLF comes to mind...

I used to tell FD participants, that making contacts from the porta-pottie did not earn credit for QRPP.

And I sometimes refer QRXYL, when I'm on radio and SHE wants to talk.

KG4KWW
04-28-2007, 03:23 AM
Oh yes lets add:

QTD
Hint: QTD=Taking A Dump

QTX
Hint: QTX=Working Throne Room DX

KC0OFZ
04-28-2007, 05:19 AM

What do you think big boy!!!! #http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif
Do you two want to be alone? #I will leave the room for a bit.

KG4KWW
04-28-2007, 05:35 AM
http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

KE5FRF
04-28-2007, 05:40 AM
I agree that using Q-codes is not desirable on phone 95% of the time. But I'm not a phone operator, so I won't tell phone operators how they should behave, if they won't tell us CW ops how to behave. That seems fair to me! http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

In all seriousness...At some point in the 1920s and 30s, AM phone gear became more commonplace for the average ham, correct? I mean, the basic circuit designs were widely published for homebrewing, the tubes were available at affordable prices, and even some commercial gear was in production for the wealthier hobbiest. So, the earliest phone hams were spark gap and CW operators who wanted to get "in on" the new voice technology. Now, what kind of operating procedures do you reckon the earliest hams brought to early phone operations? DUH, right? It is no surprise, to me, that Q-codes have been a part of phone operation since its earliest days, and have never left. And it was probably these same Code operators turned phone op who decided that Q-codes sounded silly, too, and started razzing others for doing it. I don't think this is new at all, and I certainly won't call it a symptom of newbie-itis.

I think everyone has the right idea. Some of the more common expressions like QSO (ku-so), QSY, QRT, QRP, QRM, QRZ, etc don't bother me at all.

"QSL?" bothers me. But I have a dilemma. "How Copy, over?" on phone sounds just as silly...Sounds too "official" to me, like military speak. I also think saying "Do you understand?" sounds weird. I mean, when you are on the phone, do you say, "Do you understand?" each time you quit speaking? Yet, in the flow of a QSO, it is customary to ask the other operator "Did you catch all that?" in a manner of speaking. "Roger" or "Roger, roger" is frowned upon, but TO ME, that is the most natural and least unpleasant way to express the idea of confirming or asking for confirmation of copy. Some say it is CB-speak, but I disagree. It comes from military communications, but doesn't have the "official" tone, IMO, that other expressions do.

I do think Q-codes are flung around way too much, and some are worse offenders than others. But yet, it is disengenuous to say using one Q-code on phone is OK, but not others. (At least in the sense of making a list). I think the rule of thumb would be, "Does it sound like I'm overdoing it?"

I do have one for you guys, though. If a guy is talking too fast, would it be appropriate to ask him to QRS? If he has a slow, southern drawl, would it be appropriate to ask him to QRQ?

To the new guys who are on HF. The OTs are right. Sometimes, trying to hard to sound like a ham makes you not sound like an experienced ham at all, or at least, not like a normal human being. 99.9% of our communications is not of an official nature, so being expedious is not neccessarily important for our comms. CW is a slower method of communication by its nature, so brevity is to our advantage to make the conversation go quicker. This isn't so much true, ESPECIALLY on FM, as Ryan points out. Think of it more like you are speaking to a friend on the phone. And on HF, reserve Q-codes for horrible conditions or exchanges with foreign people who aren't great English linguists. Take the few traditional Q-codes like QSY or QRM and use them sparingly.

KF4VGX
04-28-2007, 06:05 AM
Quote[/b] (AG4YO @ April 26 2007,13:52)]

What do you think big boy!!!! #http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif
I'm still trying to figure out how he knows he's a
" Big Boy " http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif . Pun intended .

KD7MSC
04-28-2007, 06:22 AM
Quote[/b] (kf4vgx @ April 27 2007,15:05)]

" Big Boy " http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif . # Pun intended .
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/rambok/big-boy.jpg[/IMG]

N0IU
04-28-2007, 11:30 AM
The name of the post is Standard Q-Signals For Those who Don't Know Them.

Why would you post Standard Q-Signals for those who DO Know Them ??

Scott NIU

N8CPA
04-28-2007, 11:31 AM
Quote[/b] (kd7msc @ April 28 2007,02:22)]
Quote[/b] (kf4vgx @ April 27 2007,15:05)]

" Big Boy " http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif . # Pun intended .
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/rambok/big-boy.jpg[/IMG]
[Slap] Frisch!

NY7Q
04-28-2007, 12:06 PM
Well folks, most of you are wrong. Q-signals listed here, in order to be a question must be preceded by IMI to be a true question. Most Q signals are abbreviated statements not questions unless as I stated, preceded by IMI. On phone "how do you hear me, roger, who is calling, I am changing frequencies to...., among a few are proper ways to communicate on phone. In the 50s you were a dork if you used Q signals on phone(am,ssb,fm) and along came popular fm 2 meters and some thought they were cool and intelligent sounding when using Q signs on phone. But, really, they were as dumb sounding and stupid sounding as they certainly are today.
Its all about training properly, and jerking someone up when they use improper verbage on phone. And yes, they do sound CB Dorky today.

K7KBN
04-28-2007, 03:18 PM
Quote[/b] (NY7Q @ April 28 2007,04:06)]Well folks, most of you are wrong. Q-signals listed here, in order to be a question must be preceded by IMI to be a true question. Most Q signals are abbreviated statements not questions unless as I stated, preceded by IMI. On phone "how do you hear me, roger, who is calling, I am changing frequencies to...., among a few are proper ways to communicate on phone. In the 50s you were a dork if you used Q signals on phone(am,ssb,fm) and along came popular fm 2 meters and some thought they were cool and intelligent sounding when using Q signs on phone. But, really, they were as dumb sounding and stupid sounding as they certainly are today.
Its all about training properly, and jerking someone up when they use improper verbage on phone. And yes, they do sound CB Dorky today.
I think you mean that, in order to be a question, the signal must be preceded with INT, not IMI. The military's version of Morse code didn't include the question mark (IMI). When sent, IMI means "repeat".

And for those who want a good, complete list of Operating Signals, revised in 1997 (who'da thunk we'd still have publications like this in 1997?), try here:

ACP-131 (http://f6iie.free.fr/zips/abreviations/acp131_operating_sigs.pdf)

KG4KWW
04-28-2007, 03:39 PM
Dudes, we need to make up more Q signals. Lighten Up.

NY7Q
04-28-2007, 04:05 PM
INT was military.....IMI is ham....

KD7MSC
04-28-2007, 04:30 PM
Quote[/b] (kg4kww @ April 28 2007,00:39)]Dudes, we need to make up more Q signals. Lighten Up.
QFO http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

N2CFJ
04-28-2007, 04:44 PM
Quote[/b] (kg4kww @ April 27 2007,20:23)]Oh yes lets add:

QTD
Hint: QTD=Taking A Dump

QTX
Hint: QTX=Working Throne Room DX
If I were working someone who was not sitting in his shack, just knowing he was portable would be enough. These fall under QTMI (too much information)

KG6QHK
04-28-2007, 04:51 PM
ENOUGH! Please, people. This is an OLD discussion, and opinions differ from region to region, and station to station. Maybe it's better to say "(IMHO) I do not believe the use of Q-calls is apropo on voice...", rather than "Q-calls are NOT for use on voice!" NONE of us runs amateur radio, or has enough moxy to enforce the latter statement....

IMHO, Q-calls contribute to good operating protocols and procedure, and it's fine if someone wants to say "xx#xxx, this is xx#xxx, clear and QSY to ###.###." That tells me that they're changing freqs to the stated repeater or simplex, and won't be on the repeater for a bit.

New amateurs, if you don't KNOW the Q-calls, look them up. Do what I do if you're mobile, and keep a small "day runner" sized binder in the car or truck. Mine has the following:

COVER PAGE: The Band Plan

1. A current repeater listing for 2m and 70cm for the entire area, including the Bay Area and Northern California. (NARCC.org)

2. A listing of Q-calls.

3. A contacts directory, for my club and other regular users of our club repeater(s).

4. FCC Part 97.

5. Manuals for both my VX-5R and FT-8800.

Again, NO ONE HERE has the absolute authority to tell anyone else that Q-calls are NOT for use in FM comms. This is NOT the military, there is no chain of command. The last time I looked, this was amateur radio, within a democracy. (The ONLY entity that can pull our plug is the FCC.)

KG6QHK
04-28-2007, 05:00 PM
{SOAPBOX = ON}
<span style='color:MAROON'>Oh, I WILL say that the ONE thing that tweaks my brow is someone that says "Seventy-threes&#33;" on the air. It&#39;s "7 - 3". Seventy-threes is like a multiple of a multiple....</span>
{SOAPBOX = OFF}

<span style='color:GREEN'>We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress&#33;</span>

K7KBN
04-28-2007, 08:35 PM
Quote[/b] (NY7Q @ April 28 2007,08:05)]INT was military.....IMI is ham....
Correct, but IMI, or the question mark, is also used by commercial and maritime (civilian) CW operators.

The question "what is your location", sent by a military operator, would be: INT QTH.

A commercial/maritime operator would send: QTH IMI, but on the receiving end, the operator would write or type: QTH?

Note also that both INT and IMI are properly written overscored, meaning that they are sent as one character.

W8ZNX
04-28-2007, 09:05 PM
Quote[/b] (kg4kww @ April 28 2007,08:39)]Dudes, we need to make up more Q signals. Lighten Up.
bull

QTE 270 degrees

KD7MSC
04-28-2007, 09:05 PM
Quote[/b] (w8znx @ April 28 2007,06:05)]
Quote[/b] (kg4kww @ April 28 2007,08:39)]Dudes, we need to make up more Q signals. Lighten Up.
bull

QTE 270 degrees
QBS http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

N9VO
04-28-2007, 11:16 PM
Z signals were my favorite. Loved "int zbm2"........

KF5ER
04-29-2007, 12:16 AM
Q-sigs on voice, so what? Don&#39;t sound as stupid as someone saying &#39;hi&#39; &#39;hi&#39; on voice.
How about Z-sigs? Lots of them too. How
about ZBM2? Know what that means?

KG4KWW
04-29-2007, 04:13 AM
Good points

K7KBN
04-29-2007, 05:15 AM
Quote[/b] (kf5er @ April 28 2007,16:16)]Q-sigs on voice, so what? #Don&#39;t sound as stupid as someone saying &#39;hi&#39; &#39;hi&#39; on voice.
How about Z-sigs? #Lots of them too. #How
Yep - I even used that one a couple of times.

KA0GKT
04-29-2007, 06:46 AM
My favorite nonstandard "Q" prosign is "QWC" as in "AS (.-...)must QWC"

The proper response when the operator returns is "Did everything come out allright?"

Hmmm... how do you put the line over the prosign in the forum?

73 DE KAGKT/7

--Steve

W8ZNX
04-29-2007, 08:17 AM
Quote[/b] (kd7msc @ April 28 2007,14:05)]
Quote[/b] (w8znx @ April 28 2007,06:05)]
bull

QTE 270 degrees
QBS #http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif
guess you can not
QTQ

QTE
what is my true bering relative you ? or
what is my true bearing relative to ............( call signals )
/
Your true bearing relative to me is ......... degrees

VE7NOT
04-29-2007, 08:26 AM
Quote[/b] (W5HTW @ April 26 2007,11:37)]By the way, I have almost never heard Q-signals on CB radio.
Never used SSB did you? http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

As for the Q code on phone... I hear them alot in contests.

But rarely heard then in regualar ragchews. Nets you might here QRU and such but that is fine and quick.

I NEVER bother people that use the q codes on phone. Never bothered me.

I never use them on hf phone though.

M3KCK
04-29-2007, 08:39 AM
Your 5 & 9 QRZ

Springs to mind http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Q codes are used All the time on HF phone, whats new http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif
es 73
Regards,
Andrew M3KCK

WS2L
04-29-2007, 12:24 PM
WOW, can&#39;t believe how many of the simple ones I forgot & I&#39;m a CW op to. http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

K8YZK
04-29-2007, 12:31 PM
The best Z signal of course it is not offical.

INT ZZZ (are you sleeping?)

Miss using those z signals every now and then.

Kurt
K8YZK

AI4EP
05-01-2007, 03:10 AM
http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

Just what IS the " q code " or the closest thing there is to being in reference to ---
" your sending is really, really sloppy and it is hard to figure out just what it IS that you are trying to send #" #?? # #http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

& #" that you really should stick to voice communications, since obviously morse code operation is way above your level of intelligence #"

& #" you really should consider selling / giving away all your amateur radio equipment and going back to the CHILDRENS BAND where you obviously came from #".... &#33;&#33;&#33;

#It is very very obvious that making the tests " oh - so - easy " would result in such low - i q folks getting lucky on test day and getting an amateur radio licenses practically given to them....and no, they are not all from " 4 " land either (possibly even whomever is the reader of this post right now ) # # # http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

There are just SOME folks who shouldnt even consider trying to use C W , for their mental capabilities just can NOT handle it.

KN4DS
05-01-2007, 03:17 AM
Quote[/b] (N8CPA @ April 26 2007,07:07)]A tiny bit Q-grammar Elmering: QN- signals are only used in formal net context. And unlike Q-- signals, I have never heard the QN- series used on voice modes, in or out of nets.
I hear QNI used quite a bit on SSB when reporting net checkins.

KE4YGS
05-01-2007, 04:40 AM
For those interested I reformatted the Q-codes to fit on one page MS Word .doc that is printer friendly. #If you want it, go to my gallery and click Download. #No plagerism intended just another format.

http://www.ursinecom.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=5275

K7KBN
05-01-2007, 04:49 AM
Quote[/b] (ai4ep @ April 30 2007,19:10)]http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

Just what IS the " q code " or the closest thing there is to being in reference to ---
" your sending is really, really sloppy and it is hard to figure out just what it IS that you are trying to send #" #?? # #http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

& #" that you really should stick to voice communications, since obviously morse code operation is way above your level of intelligence #"

& #" you really should consider selling / giving away all your amateur radio equipment and going back to the CHILDRENS BAND where you obviously came from #".... &#33;&#33;&#33;

#It is very very obvious that making the tests " oh - so - easy " would result in such low - i q folks getting lucky on test day and getting an amateur radio licenses practically given to them....and no, they are not all from " 4 " land either (possibly even whomever is the reader of this post right now ) # # # http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

There are just SOME folks who shouldnt even consider trying to use C W , for their mental capabilities just can NOT handle it.
QSD seems to cover the high points...

AI4EP
05-01-2007, 02:51 PM
http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif I thought it might be one of those new - fangled 4 letter q codes === qlid.

I heard some last night that must have been really talking on the old cell phone and just using C W to send a supposed ( fake ) message to one another, cause neither party was very good at sending even one message, much less both of them attempting to have solid communications banter.

This stuff was pathetic, you would have gotten better copy from a couple of 2 year oldw with their grandfathers j-38 sitting on the floor...seriously.

& if it was a " training session ", well...hope they return tonight for some MORE training ( because they sure DO need it &#33;&#33; )

The dits were about 2 seconds long, and the dahs were about 4 - 6 seconds long EACH

Yeah, this was on an amateur HF frequency, but I wont mention the EXACT frequency, because I do not want to embarass any one, nor the time ( this could have been several days ago, or within the past 24 hours )...but IF this had occurred last week, would I have waited till now to mention it ?

Oh well, guess this is all I have to complain about this morning, so things are not all THAT bad ........? &#33;&#33; :rock:

W8ZNX
05-01-2007, 09:05 PM
Quote[/b] (ai4ep @ May 01 2007,07:51)]Yeah, this was on an amateur HF frequency, but I wont mention the EXACT frequency, because I do not want to embarass any one, nor the time ( this could have been several days ago, or within the past 24 hours )...but IF this had occurred last week, would I have waited till now to mention it ?
if you can&#39;t tell us the freq
it did not happen

W6TMI
05-04-2007, 06:11 AM
Quote[/b] (AB2MH @ April 26 2007,06:54)]I have to wonder why Greg, who is an avid anti-coder, is teaching about Q codes.

Speak English on phone. It works for me&#33;
Unless you are in California.

Then you must speak spanish.

N8CPA
05-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Quote[/b] (kf6rdn @ May 04 2007,02:11)]
Quote[/b] (AB2MH @ April 26 2007,06:54)]I have to wonder why Greg, who is an avid anti-coder, is teaching about Q codes.

Speak English on phone. #It works for me&#33;
Unless you are in California.

Then you must speak spanish.

When I read that, I was going to post, "&#33;Que tal&#33; #?No se habla espanol?"

Yeah--I know. #But I don&#39;t use Spanish enough to justify accessing the font.

CU2JT
05-04-2007, 01:16 PM
Quote[/b] (w3wn @ April 27 2007,12:51)]Strictly speaking the "QN" codes were developed specifically for amateur CW traffic nets.
.. except for QNH (request or state sea level air pressure) which is commonly used in aviation. Also QFE, wich is request or state air pressure at airfield elevation.

K4GUN
05-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Could somebody explain to me what "five and nine" means. I assume that the "nine" is the S meter value of the received transmission, but what is the five?

W8ZNX
05-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Quote[/b] (cu2jt @ May 04 2007,06:16)]
Quote[/b] (w3wn @ April 27 2007,12:51)]Strictly speaking the "QN" codes were developed specifically for amateur CW traffic nets.
.. except for QNH (request or state sea level air pressure) which is commonly used in aviation. Also QFE, wich is request or state air pressure at airfield elevation.
most all the QA, QB, QC, QD, QF and QG
were reserved for aeronautical codes

but my fave QA sig
for fools that send ?
without giving their call

you have just called cq
or finished a contact

and some op sends a ?

no call

no question

just a question mark

that is when i send QRA

what is the name of your station ?

Mac

W3BNY
05-09-2007, 06:03 PM
WTF covers some of the things I hear across the bands

W8ZNX
05-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Quote[/b] (k4gun @ May 09 2007,10:21)]Could somebody explain to me what "five and nine" means. #I assume that the "nine" is the S meter value of the received transmission, but what is the five?
you need to find a old 50s or 60s
American Radio Relay League

The Radio Amateur&#39;s Handbook
its full of info on things like

the RST system

but before the RST system came in to use

ops used a Q code QRK
what is the intelligibility of my signals
or the intelligibility of your signals

QRK
1- bad
2 - poor
3 - fair
4 - good
5 - exellent

that was superceded by

the R S T system

R=Readability
1 - unreadable
2 - barely readable
3 - readable with considerable diffculty
4 - readable with practically no difficulty
5 - perfectly readable

S=SIGNAL STRENGTH
1 - faint signals, barely perceptible
2 - very weak signals
3 - weak signals
4 - fair signals
5 - fairly good signals
6 - good signals
7 - moderately strong signals
8 - strong signals
9 - extremely strong signals

T= Tone

has to do with filter supply on cw transmitters
not used in fone work

a 5 and 9 report
would mean

perfectly readable, extremely strong signal

9 in the signal strength
has nothing to do with s meter reading of 9

years ago when they started using
the RST system many ops
many receivers did not have s meters

still today when running cw
when send report

I don&#39;t look at the s meter

give report based on
how i hear other station
never by guess meter reading

mac dit dit

K4GUN
05-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Thank you Mac. That&#39;s a perfect explantion. I assumed it meant the signal was clear, but I have hesitated using the term because I wasn&#39;t certain what the exact meaning was.

K2PG
05-09-2007, 08:10 PM
Quote[/b] (KB5WX @ April 25 2007,11:50)]I was handling a piece of traffic on a net , and the sending station after giving the signature said " QSL " ? I told him no . He asked what part of the message I needed repeated and I told him I got all the message but would not send him a card . the net control station was laughing so hard you could tell he had tears in his eyes . I also hear a lot of Q codes on phone and don&#39;t like it either . It sounds rather dorky IMO .
It&#39;s all classic Dorkspeak. Q signals don&#39;t belong on voice modes. They are strictly timesavers for telegraphers.

That said, here are a couple more:

QLF: Try sending with your left foot.

QQQ: Clean the bird sh#t off your antenna&#33;

QTF?: What the f##k?

K2PG
05-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Quote[/b] (kf5er @ April 27 2007,21:16)]Q-sigs on voice, so what? Don&#39;t sound as stupid as someone saying &#39;hi&#39; &#39;hi&#39; on voice.
How about Z-sigs? Lots of them too. How
Z signals were used in the military in both CW and RTTY modes. As for ZBM2, that is a broadcast station in Hamilton, Bermuda on 1340 kHz. It used to have a Top-40 format, although I don&#39;t know what they broadcast these days.

ZBM2 is also a military Z signal for "Place a competent operator on this circuit."

K2PG
05-09-2007, 08:21 PM
Quote[/b] (AG4YO @ April 26 2007,16:52)]

What do you think big boy&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif
He&#39;ll answer your question if you kiss him first.
Do you think "QKY" would be an appropriate Q signal for such an exchange?

ad: giga-rw