PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood doesn't back up their radios again

N9PAR
07-24-2002, 08:35 PM
Hello everyone,
I'm a little unhappy with Kenwood for their poor customer service.I bought a Kenwood TMV7A #from a buddy last year.The radio worked great for a while but then started to get lines in the display.I talked to alot of hams with the same prolbem I'm having with the radio.Kenwood will fix the radio free of charge if you bought it brand new.I understand that kenwood shouldn't cover prolbems with used radio usally but since there is such a huge prolbem they should just bite the bullet and admit they screwed up on the displays and fix them.They will fix the display for only $200 thats half of what the radio costed me.So I learned a lesson here. I'm done buying kenwood radios.So just a word of warning that kenwood really has no customer service.So judge for yourself.
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # 73,
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # N9PAR

W8QF
07-25-2002, 08:00 PM
In my 30+ years in ham radio I have had more luck with Kenwood then any other radio.I have also had good luck with their service as well.Under normal circumstances I would say buy used buy someone elses problems.However if this is a established problem with the TM V7A I agree they should make it right.I personaly have had my TMV7A for 2 years and no problems.Dave AE8U

K9ROD
07-25-2002, 08:08 PM
I have two TM-7v's - one I bought new and one I bought used. Both are still doing great after 1 year. With the used one, I don't expect the factory to cover any problems I have with it free. New is a different story. Big problem here is no recourse for a problem that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I recently purchased an antenna from Antenna Warehouse.....after one month in service it snapped in half. Found out this was a common problem. Company said "Too Bad". What can I do. Nothing short of a law suite that would cost money too. So, the root of the problem is business does not have to keep their word or worry about the customer....there is always another one around the corner. Too bad we can't go back to the days when your "word" ment something. Rod K9ROD

KB3GUT
07-25-2002, 08:42 PM
Are you telling me that Kenwood does not honor the warranty if you are not the original owner, or was this radio out of warranty?

--KB3GUT

N4FBI
07-25-2002, 09:08 PM
I have a Kenwood TM 241-A that I am using mobile. About a year ago the display went crazy, looked like Chinese writing. Now the display is totally blank, no figures, backlight or anything. IF I ever buy another radio...after reading this...it probably wont be a Kenwood.

N4FBI

N8PDH
07-25-2002, 09:09 PM
The next time you buy a radio, buy an Icom ar Yaseu. I have not had a problem with either brand new or used.
About 11 or 12 years ago, and old ham friend of mine told me to stay away from Kenwood becuse of customer service problems.

07-25-2002, 09:23 PM
I have only owned one Kenwood in my life. It was a TH-21. The case cracked. When I showed it to a Kenwood rep at a HamCom in Dallas, he sent me two new cases in the mail. Free. I would like to add that this Kenwood rep was a Japanese engineer who did not speak English. I showed him the problem and he sent me not one, but two new cases. The problem is Kenwood USA. I have heard MANY complaints just like the one stipulated by the poster of this article. All the complaints were made by people who complained of exhorbitant and astronomically high repair costs. And all of the complaints were resolved by the owners of the radios themselves selling all Kenwood equipment and replacing it with ICOM and Yaesu. Good old American business! Just look at the stock market! As anyone can see, thje chicken have come to roost. Now it is time to clean up our OWN act! As far as my own experience over the past 19 years is concerned, I have always used ICOMs. So far no problems. I am completely satisfied with ICOM.
-73 de Radioweenie-

N7BJB
07-25-2002, 09:31 PM
All I can say is I have three radios in use in my shack - an Icom HF, a Yaesu dual bander and a Kenwood dual bander. I also have a yaesu UHF in the mobile and a Radio Shack HT. I don't have any toruble with any of them. I guess trouble is at least partly a matter of personal luck. Incidentlally, I also have Heath equipment that I no longer use much - not up to date all mode equipment - that also gives me no trouble. Maybe I just hold my mouth the right way or something. Moral of the story is don't blame a brand because an individual unit or an individual model is a lemon - it happens. When you look for something new, consider everyones equipment before you choose.

KF4NI
07-25-2002, 09:49 PM
Hi all,
I too am unhappy with Kenwood service and their attitude toward their customers. I spent lots of money for their amateur products and when they needed repair I have found them to be very rude and not wanting to hear of the problem and then they charge excessive fees for work. After 20 years of Kenwood attitude etc...I decided to go to Yaesu and have found over the past 10 years they have superior products and I have not had to send in for repairs on HF (FT 1000D, FT 990ac) or VHF (FT 2200,2400, 2500, 8100, FT 470, VX-5r) radios and accessories I have. I know this seems unreal as from time to time everything breaks! I just like the Yaesu line for many reasons. I do hear horror stories about all manufactures but I believe Kenwood has the worst reputation. Just my 2 cents worth.

Ruby Byrd KF4NI

KB2KAB
07-25-2002, 10:59 PM
Uhhhmmmmm! Let me see the facts here. You bought a second hand radio. And then after a while, the radio started to go south. Now you want the manufacturer to fix the radio for free! If they did that then they would not be in business for long. Not saying that you broke it but lets face facts, no company honors any kind of waranty to second owners. Once the product has left the orignal owners hands, the waranty becomes NULL and VOID. SHOW ME A COMPANY THAT WARANTIES THIER PRODUCT AFTER THE ORIGNAL OWER EITHER SELLS OR GIVE THAT PRODUCT TO ANOTHER OWNER, AND I'LL BUY THAT PRODUCT! YOU ARE UNDER A FALSE IMPRESSION. I have a TMV7A and it is fine for over 3 yrs. Great Product! Sorry that you have a bad radio. But either fix it or get rid of it! http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

W5HTW
07-25-2002, 11:34 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KB2KAB @ July 25 2002,15:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Uhhhmmmmm&#33; Let me see the facts here. You bought a second hand radio. And then after a while, the radio started to go south. Now you want the manufacturer to fix the radio for free&#33; If they did that then they would not be in business for long. Not saying that you broke it but lets face facts, no company honors any kind of waranty to second owners. Once the product has left the orignal owners hands, #the waranty becomes NULL and VOID. SHOW ME A COMPANY THAT WARANTIES THIER PRODUCT AFTER THE ORIGNAL OWER EITHER SELLS OR GIVE THAT PRODUCT TO ANOTHER OWNER, AND I&#39;LL BUY THAT PRODUCT&#33; YOU ARE UNDER A FALSE IMPRESSION. I have a TMV7A and it is fine for over 3 yrs. Great Product&#33; #Sorry that you have a bad radio. But either fix it or get rid of it&#33; http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Absolutely&#33;

Exceptions are safety recalls on automobiles, which can go back years over several owners. Otherwise, "used" is "used." And "buddy" may not be??

kb9num
07-26-2002, 12:04 AM
I have a couple of Kenwood radios, and one had problems. #The first time it was under warranty and was repaired free of charge. #The second time was a few months later, out of warranty. #I expected to pay for the new power module, even though my antenna system was fine. #I explained to Kenwood that I was unhappy with the performance of this unit, and requested them to repair it for free. #The tech sighed, told me to write my request down and box it with the radio, and to send it to the repair address. #Ten days later I got my radio back, working, with no charge.

I am not assuming you did anything wrong, just telling you what works for me: #I don&#39;t get much help if I read anyone out. #If I am polite, assertive, and provide facts instead of attitude I get cooperation more times than not.

My Kenwood radio is now more than five years old, and I wouldn&#39;t try to get it fixed for nothing. #I would give it a try if it were within a year of warranty expiration. #What do you have to loose? #If they said no I wouldn&#39;t give up on the maker, but I may not be excited about buying from them.

KB2VUQ
07-26-2002, 12:40 AM
I have had 2) Kenwood TMV-7a&#39;s for several years.

I have had only one problem with one of
the TMV-7a&#39;s...The vhf power amp went
poof on it. Kenwood repaired it under warranty.

However, I have several friends with the
problem you describe (lines on the display).
Kenwood will repair it, if it&#39;s under warranty
and not physically damaged.

Have you called Kenwood in Georgia
(the top secret repair center) for a
return authorization number, or to put
a warranty claim in?

On another related note:
Kenwood, nor it&#39;s distributors will
sell you a replacement control head.
If you lose it, fry it or break it, you are on your own.
You would think they would manufacture
more, in case people need replacements.

Best Regards,
Dennis

W9ICU
07-26-2002, 12:57 AM
One thing I found with dealing with Kenwood service was that the Service Department on the west coast, was not near as nice to deal with. They always seem to have the attitude that you were bothering them. I was also usually treated like an idiot who knew nothing. The East Coast service department however was always very pleasant and understanding. I even called them on some questions a couple times, and they were more than willing to help me out. Although I got the impression from one of the service people on the east coast that they were just a Kenwood Authorized Service center, and not really part of Kenwood. Just my two cents worth.
73 Bob

KE4PJW
07-26-2002, 01:04 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have a Kenwood TM 241-A that I am using mobile. About a year ago the display went crazy,looked like Chinese writing. Now the display is totally blank, no figures, backlight or anything. IF I ever buy another radio...after reading this...it probably wont be a Kenwood.

N4FBI[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Why don&#39;t you just fix it yourself. (http://www.eham.net/reviews/review/2223) It&#39;s a known problem and is easy to fix.

N3XP
07-26-2002, 01:57 AM
My tmv-7a developed the streaky display a few weeks ago. Does anyone know what the fix for this is?

KE4MOB
07-26-2002, 02:54 AM
I can honestly say I would never own an HF from Icom or Yaesu. #I have used a Kenwood 430, 440, and 530, and own a 450. #Each radio has been excellent.

2M however, is another story. #I have owned a 732A that blew APC modules (twice). #My friend owned a 732A that did the exact same thing. #My 241 right now has got a scrambled display, but it doesn&#39;t bother me since I know what is each memory slot.

Is this really a fault of Kenwood, or of all manufacturers in general? #Seems like there is always a gripe about this two meter or that two meter radio...

Ever wondered why some guys are still using that 20 year old two meter with no digital display--just 3 numbered knobs and a pushbutton for 5 kHz? #Maybe because they were designed to last forever instead of having a three year model life?

Things need to get bigger, not smaller. Why do you think boatanchors are still around??

N7IQV
07-26-2002, 06:13 AM
A suggestion for those who DO talk to support staff, or send units in to a repair depot:

Be specific with the complaint on your rig. DO give particulars as to mode used, frequency (and not just what band you were on)any other details on antenna, etc that may have some effect on your rig&#39;s non-performance. I know you can talk to the repair center, but having that printed detail sheet is a MAJOR improvement over a note stating "doesn&#39;t transmit" or "display sucks"&#33; Signal reports that might illuminate the complaint can be useful, too.

I know...its basic communicating, but it really helps the guys on the workbench to have those little bits of information&#33;&#33;

oops...just got another one here..let me see..yeah. "Radio broke" ..................

73s
John
N7IQV

07-26-2002, 11:18 AM
The problem is well known and fixable. I happen to like Yaesu, but have owned many Kenwoods of the tube variety and loved them. Never had one break. It is used, so why blame Kenwood, in the first place. N7IQV is correct in his statements also. 73 http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif

W1XZ
07-26-2002, 01:16 PM
Well, here is my 2 cents worth. All the big three Japanese manufacturers
have problems with their products. Just read the posts here and
it becomes obvious. Icom&#39;s 751 losing its brains when the memory
battery went dead, Yaesu&#39;s dual bander (I think it is an 8100??) that
has many problems, and Kenwood&#39;s 940 CPU are examples.
Most new cars have call backs and nothing is perfect.
Having said that, IMHO Kenwood is a big offender. The TS-940S is
one of the finest radios ever made for amateur radio, but it has a CPU
problem that can&#39;t be fixed. There is a connector problem in the TM
241/231 line that while fixable is present in many many radios. If
there are lines in the LCD of another is gets put on the list.
When is the manufacturer responsible for these problems?? If
something is an assembly problem (such as the TM-261) corrected
by solder or cleaning a service bulletin might be in order, but it is a
problem with a part and that part is unavailable (as with the TS 940)
then perhaps the company IS responsible for something. I would
have gladly paid for the CPU board and installed it to keep the 940
on the air, but it wasn&#39;t made anymore. Now I don&#39;t expect
manufacturers to keep an unending supply of widgets on hand for
the first radio produced, BUT if something is wrong with every third
one off the line, yeah I want some help....even if I bought it
second hand.
The end of my tirade would be this: Keep posting real complaints
and talk about your experiences with service departments.
ALSO talk about good products, too. I have an IC-746 and it is
one of the best (I am replacing it with a 756 PROII).
73 and thanks for reading...Greg/W1XZ

the company is responsible for something.

K0EX
07-26-2002, 02:42 PM
I had the same experience with Kenwood: #

I bought a TS-570DG. #It DOES NOT meet specifications for output power. #I wasted many dollars on the phone with Corporate offices in Atlanta and both East- and West-Coast service centers. #I even spent &#036;170 or so on a new power supply, on their recommendation. #The problem still exists... they have a marginal design&#33;&#33; #

This was a BRAND NEW rig. #I simply asked for a refund. #I bought the rig based on my need for a solid 100W output (to drive my amplifier), and the rig does NOT meet that requirement (although they publish that it does).#All I got, when it&#39;s all boiled-down, was a run-around. #The people were nice to me, but the COMPANY&#39;s admission of a product design problem was non-existent. #

This is probably the last time I&#39;ll buy Kenwood, too. #

See my post at www.eham.net, under &#39;Product Reviews&#39;, and then under &#39;Kenwood TS-570DG&#39;, for another posting on this issue.

AD4C
07-26-2002, 02:45 PM
http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif Well its time for anyone to realize that Kenwood has the WORST repair service in the world,I am one of the million unsatisfied customers in this planet constantly complaining about them.Ten years ago I had some problem in my TS-430 that became a real nightmare,it was simply a blinky display that normally its a factory defect related with cold solders,but Kenwood did such a mess in my radio that it never worked the same,it was there three times (Virginia beach shop) and always came back with some other defects,at last they quit and I ended up paying about 300 bucks and no radio,I said to myself,forget about Kenwood,switched to Yaesu,used them for about 8 years with not a single problem,then 2 years ago switched to Icoms and I am even more happy with these,I own an IC-746 which for me its the best radio I ever had and an IC-706MK2, in this last one had a short made by myself and the factory fixed it same day it arrived their depot and send it back same day,in just a week I had my radio back and NEVER had any more problems.Open your eyes Kenwood users,If your radio works fine,thats cool but if it brakes,buy a bottle of aspirines because your night mares will start.

W8UR
07-26-2002, 03:26 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KB2KAB @ July 25 2002,15:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">SHOW ME A COMPANY THAT WARANTIES THIER PRODUCT AFTER THE ORIGNAL OWER EITHER SELLS OR GIVE THAT PRODUCT TO ANOTHER OWNER, AND I&#39;LL BUY THAT PRODUCT&#33;[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I believe most automobiles have transferable warranties. I know for a fact that VW and Audi warranties are still valid on "used" cars.

Which model will you be purchasing?

W5ATX
07-26-2002, 03:36 PM
Fact of the matter is the radio in the original post was out of warranty. It was used, and once you buy a used radio, you&#39;re pretty well on your own. That&#39;s as it should be.

However, Kenwood does seem to have a serious ongoing problem. They have developed a reputation for poor engineering/manufacturing, then trying to hide it. This case sounds like that.

If the model of radio is having numerous widespread failures of the same kind, something is fishy. And I think the RIGHT thing to do would be to own up to it, admit "we screwed up" and fix them. I had a TS440S some years ago. Kenwood engineered them with an expoxy that got poured over the circuit boards. After about ten years, 440s everywhere began to fail. Of course they were all out of warranty. THe problem? The epoxy Kenwood poured onto the boards began to chemically break down. As that happened, it began to become conductive. Eventually, the stuff would short everything out on the board, and obviously, that was the end of that.

Kenwood admitted they screwed this up. This was a 100% Kenwood fault. Planned obsolesence? How about just plain stupid. And what did Kenwood do for 440 owners? They offered to do the repairs for "half price." Well ok, at least it was something. They acknowledged their error. It&#39;s more than they do now.

At the start of this post, I said it is right that you should be responsible for whatever you buy used. And overall, I still feel that way. The exceptions should include cases like this. Where the manufacturer built a problem into a design. The 440 owners shouldn&#39;t have had to pay for that problem twice. They paid for it when they bought the rigs. Once is enough. And if this story about this streaky readout is accurate, Kenwoood should be willing to fix them.

As for which manufacturer is best? Who knows. They all seem to have problems with one line or another. The Yaesu 7100 has a crummy reputation from what I&#39;ve heard on the air. Icoms have had odd troubles over time, and of course Kenwood has their glaring engineering screwups.

As for the Kenwood 570DG, I posted to the "equipment reviews" column on my experiences with one of them at Field Day 2002. If you are interested, feel free to read it.

Good luck to all. I own strictly Motorola stuff now. No failures ever. But not easy or cheap either. All a matter of choice I suppose.

Chris

AE0AL
07-26-2002, 04:08 PM
My old Kenwood TM-234 http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif had a display proble an it went chineese on me But inthe book it said the Lithium battery if low could cause the problem. A check at the local radio shop show it to be in good condition. The problem Bas contact on the ribon cable running from the main board to the display. Contact cleaner and a few good put it together take it off a few times fixed things. In a few weeks it went out once I pushed in on the display carefully but firm where I thought the conector plugged into the display and it hasn&#39;t failed in years.

MIGHT Help. Can&#39;t hur to try.

Al aka ae0al

WA8YLZ
07-26-2002, 04:20 PM
Dear Kenwood users;
As ham for many years and a radio repair teck i have some
experiance with kenwood and other products. I was a
kenwood deler untill they raise their minum order to the sky. Kenwood has a very large bureacracy like most large
corporations, so some patience is needed.
The problem with the tmv7a of n9par is probley bad connections between the display lcd glass and the display
board. This can be caused by vibration or bumping the
radio. Extreams of hot and cold will cause a simular problem. Repair is on very tiny parts, need i say more.

The tm 241a of n4fbi is probally caused by extream heat.
If the display goes black than it may be gone. The digital
clock in my car did the same thing this summer now its
gone for good. Also exposure to direct sunlight will do
it too. All lcd displays will be damaged by heat or direct sunlight.

Don&#39;t just blame kenwood. All modern radios can suffer from these problems. As far as the repair costs it goes like this. Most company repair shops are swamped with work.
That means they have to hire very talented people. These techs can find a job anyware at high wages. So be happy
they can even do it. The computer business has robed
many good radio repair people because of the higher wages.
The comercial radio business is in a dier pinch finding
good people to do repair work.

73 rick wa8ylz

N2QOJ
07-26-2002, 04:29 PM
To N9PAR,

Why don&#39;t you have your buddy send it in for repair, then let us know how Kenwood service performed?

N2QOJ

N0XAS
07-26-2002, 04:47 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KB2KAB @ July 25 2002,17:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">SHOW ME A COMPANY THAT WARANTIES THIER PRODUCT AFTER THE ORIGNAL OWER EITHER SELLS OR GIVE THAT PRODUCT TO ANOTHER OWNER, AND I&#39;LL BUY THAT PRODUCT&#33;[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Seagate. #Ford (any car mfg. actually). #Sun. #Sears. There are plenty of manufacturers that cover their products for the entire warranty period regardless of ownership. #I haven&#39;t looked at the warranty on my new Kenwood rig to see what the specifics are, but it&#39;s not uncommon either way.

Dale

KB2KAB
07-26-2002, 06:23 PM
http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif GEE, I KNEW THAT WHEN I MADE THAT STATEMENT THAT EVERYONE AND THIER BROTHER WOULD BRING UP SOME SORT OF SILLY THINGS TO SAY.BUT YOU GUYS TAKE THE CAKE.. WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT CARS, WE ARE TALKING ABOUT RADIO&#39;S. AND DO NOT BE FOOLED BY CAR WARENTIES. THEY ALL HAVE LOOP HOLES. SO, SIT BACK AND RELAX AND IF YOU CAN NOT GIVE A GOOD RESPONSE WITH OUT LOOKING SILLY, THEN DO NOT REPLY. THIS IS WARENTIES ON RADIOS. AND LIKE EVERY OTHER COMPANY OUT THERE, THEY DO NOT HONOR SECOND HAND OWNERSHIP. THAT IS THE FACT. LIKE I SAID BEFORE---FIX OR GET RID OF IT. MAKE UP YOUR MIND&#33; IT&#39;S NOT KENWOODS FAULT YOU AND OTHER WANT IT FIXED FOR FREE&#33; IT JUST DOES NOT HAPPEN LIKE THAT ANY MORE. "FACE THE REALITY"

KB0NLY
07-26-2002, 06:55 PM
I personally will never own a kenwood unless someone gives it to me for free. To many issues, if i were to list all the kenwood experiences it would take more than one post to fit them all in. I use mainly Yaesu and Icom radios. I have three yaesu radios in the shack and an Icom mobile. The only reason why i chose the Icom IC-2000H mobile over the Yaesu brand is that it deals with intermod better than my Yaesu FT-2400H. Let&#39;s talk about warranty then shall we, when the LCD backlight bulbs went out on my FT-2400H i took it to a local radio store that is a Yaesu authorized service center, they checked on the warranty on the radio then soldered in two new bulbs checked the display brightness and handed it back, i wasted some time browsing while the radio was fixed. The repairs didn&#39;t cost me anything, except for the gas i burned driving there. Another year passed and the radio was out of warranty and another bulb burned out, this radio is my primary 2m in the shack and stays on 24/7 so those bulbs just reach there life expectancy. I called Yaesu on the west coast about a replacement so i could repair it myself and i ordered a dozen of the little buggers to last me, they were very courteous and i got the package in short order. Also, i want to comment on the fact that the Yaesu parts department is outstanding and i can&#39;t say enough on them, i have an Yaesu FT-221 all-mode that i use for casual 2m SSB with the locals on 144.215 here in minnesota, it needed a few replacement parts and i thought i would try them just in case (this radio is old folks) they had them, the parts in question were a few hard to find FET&#39;s and some Coils and Variable Caps and the four plastic latches that hold the top cover on. Any FT-221 owners out there would know what i&#39;m talking about, well guess what they had all the parts i needed for a radio that hasnt been manufactured in 20+ years and they sent them to me free of charge by UPS no less. You never know what might happen if you get the right person on the phone, i didn&#39;t even ask for them to be ordered i just asked for part numbers and prices so i could order them, the next week they were at my door with a slip that said paid in full and a balance &#036;0.00. I also have had many other good experiences with getting parts from Yaesu for older radios, i even got a couple parts from them for my Yaesu FT-101B and you know or should know just how old that rig is.

KBěNLY

K6KMA
07-26-2002, 08:58 PM
If the question is:

Should a manufacturer honor the warranty on an out-of-warranty product, where the repair is need because of faulty design or assembly, my response is the manfacturer better, or expect a short business life.

In this time of a hard economy, most consumers are trying to make ever penny count. Wise consumers research the high ticket price product before outlaying their hard earned cash (take these postings as example).

If the manufacturer gets the rep as put out products before the bugs are out of it, hopeing it makes it through the warranty period, that manufacturers market base should become nill.

KB0WWA
07-26-2002, 09:21 PM
I recently bought a TH-F6 with several accesarys, one of which was a speaker mike that the PTT quit working about a week after I received it. I communicated with Kenwood by email and sent it in last week. They have a new one on the way. They seemed very responsive.
Dick KB0WWA http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

KB9LIE
07-26-2002, 10:38 PM
I prefer to deal with Burghardt&#39;s repair department when my Yaesus need fixing (such 900, 2500, 5100). That&#39;s the main reason I buy from them.

Actually, the best solution is to buy Ten-Tec gear if they have a model that suits your needs. They have excellent radios and a superior service department, and have sent us repair and replacement parts several times at no charge. 73 de Peg KB9LIE

N6CZE
07-27-2002, 01:18 AM
Two Problems with the TM-V7A...

1. Has anyone tried to use the TM-V7A in the sunlight?
It&#39;s almost impossible.

2. Intermod.....With the AIP off, I recieve every pager transmission within #miles.

No problems with the display.

N6CZE

07-27-2002, 03:52 AM
These posts are exactly why I always buy American, Collins, Drake and Ten-Tec...

W8ONE
07-27-2002, 04:12 AM
I have a tmv7a in my 1 ton dodge diesel my truck for 2+ years now. The truck has a major vibration problem every onece in a while my display will change to chineese or some thing. I cleaned the contacts on the remote face put it back in and haven&#39;t had a problem since.
73, willy - W8ONE

W4FBI
07-27-2002, 04:56 AM
My V7A went or was going bad, took for ever to go full blue. had lots of lines in it. took a full 10 mins to go full blue and look right. any way I got it new and kenwood said to send it back in and they would fix it for a charge of &#036;50. I had had the radio for a year. well before I could send it in. it was stolen from the car. they only got the head. rest of the radio is in the jeep. well kenwood wood will not sell just the head. you have to buy a hole new radio if you loose your head. Hugh W4FBI

KB2VUQ
07-27-2002, 07:09 AM
Slightly off topic but...

The Par-Electronics company
makes a great little vhf in-line notch filter.

The TMV-7a I use in the house gets
overloaded from the nearby 152mhz paging
transmitters without it.
(So does my Icom 2100 and Kenwood TS-700s)

On another note...

I also have a pair of Kenwood TMG-707&#39;s
that don&#39;t get a peep of overload and
I&#39;ve never heard anybody complain about
display problems with those either.
A much better radio than the TMV-7a
(if you don&#39;t need crossband repeat
and a dual-display).
Other than the logic sections, these
radios are nearly identical in
design and construction, go figure.

Kenwood, nor it&#39;s distributors
offer a replacement control head for
that radio either. Not too funny if you&#39;ve
ever had one stolen or broken.

Best Regards,
Dennis

07-27-2002, 02:06 PM
The post by W4FBI illustrates why I do not own Kenwood. They are free to formulate their "policies" as they wish. But we are also free to buy from whoever we wish. Again I have heard of many problems with Kenwood and their poor customer service. And Yaesu ("Vertex") never does anything wrong. It is always the customer&#39;s fault. Let me state unequivocally that I have bought ICOMs for 19 years. No problems with either radio or customer service. And therefore it is easy to see why they are no. 1. Quite simple if you think about it.
--73 de Radioweenie--

KE4CIJ
07-27-2002, 02:59 PM
You should consider the fact you bought a used rig. NO company honors a warranty unless otherwise stated when the warranty has been passed on by the original owner to someone else. Normally if one wishes to continue a warranty then some charges normally are required. I checked into the matter of problems with this rig because I owned one myself and found that Kenwood will repair the rigs for the the original owners.

In your case as well as my own, we could not expect them to repair our radios for free. I didn&#39;t by it new nor did I request to buy a warranty in my name and call. They gave a quote to repair it and if I want it repaired then I will have to pay the fee. Otherwise I can live with it due to the fact I bought it used.
Kenwood does admitt that they made a mistake with the design of the display and offer to repair them for the original owners who took the time to fill out the warranty cards&#33;
I can not see your point and why you would complain. You didn&#39;t buy it new and you shouldn&#39;t expect them to repair it for nothing. I think it is like this, You bought a used rig and like everyone else your going to have to pay someone to fix it. Now with that said Kenwood is by no means the best out in the market but they are not the worst either. Give them a break&#33; By a new Kenwood and fill out the warranty and you may find things to be a bit different even when your warranty runs out as long as you are the original owner.

Ke4cij, Larry

07-27-2002, 05:48 PM
http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif I agree, ICOM is the way to go. I have purchased 4 new and one used and all perform as specified. I even run a two hour net with the ICOM 2100H and have had no problems. I purchased the 207H which did not come with the remote cable but it had a coupon to send in to get the cable free. The only problem was the item was so popular they ran out of cables and had to wait to get more assembled and shipped. Got the cable after couple of weeks and a nice e-mail thanking me for my patience. Can&#39;t beat that in my book.
73&#39;s and good luck with your Kenwood problems. K4WGT

K7UNZ
07-27-2002, 06:48 PM
Ya know, I guess I&#39;m missing something here...... Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom, whatever. You bought the radio from some dude, and now you expect the company to pick up the cost of repair?? Seems to me, you should be asking the seller to pick up the tab, not the company. Of course, when you&#39;re looking for something for nothing, it&#39;s easier to throw stones at the big guy than face up to reality. I suggest you re-direct your hostility toward the person who sold you the radio, not that I believe they owe you anything either&#33;
73, Jim

K2VHW
07-28-2002, 04:13 AM
To All,
Regarding Kenwood&#39;s service tactics, I believe most comments I&#39;ve read miss the point&#33; The point there, I do
believe, is that Kenwood should recognize a flaw in the
materials/workmanship if there is a large volume of failures around a specific part/function. While NO manufacturer warrants electronic equipment beyond the
original purchaser, an inherent &#39;flaw&#39; should be fixed with
at least a cost reduction (a break). &#036;200. to repair a display in a &#036;500 radio is ludicrous if the failure is a common one. A consumer friendly approach would be for
cost of materials and labor free&#33; (Providing the equipment
hasn&#39;t been abused and is less than 1 year old.)
One word of caution, leaving any LCD/plasma display in
direct sunlight will destroy it quickly&#33; If the used radio was
installed in a vehicle and left in the sun or left to get very
warm (hot) in a locked vehicle..........all bets are off&#33;&#33;

Marv, K2VHW

W4NOC
07-28-2002, 11:53 AM
Do you have a TM-D700? #If so, try running a ramtest on your TNC.

cmd:ramtest
RAM Reset&#33;&#33;
ERROR ADDRESS 000def0f
128KBytes OK #(The display is misleading. It actually locks up and does not
display the next row below "128KBytes OK" until it is powered down, then
up.)
128KBytes OK

And your radio will probably lock up too. #Sometimes mine locks up after someone leaves a message in the TNC, or while they are leaving the message. #My opinion, #there is a problem with a RAM chip in this radio. #I have seen others with the same problem. #But the APRS users don&#39;t notice, but a friend reports his locks up in APRS as well. #

I discovered this about 1 week after I received my replacement for my 1st TM-D700, a DOA. #Right after it locked up on a mailbox user, I began to read the documentation to see if they had a RAMTEST command for the TNC. #They did. #And I don&#39;t give Kenwood credit for handling the DOA warranty issue. #Thanks to HRO for that one satisfactory experience with the radio. #It would transmit on 70cm only. #It had no 2m transmit, right out of the box.

I reported the #RAMTEST failure and lock up problem to Kenwood&#39;s technical support personnel. #They did not have a clue, nor did either of the folks I spoke to seem to be at all familiar with the TNC in the D700. #They did not have one that I could have them replicate the test. #So, I had to send them screen captures of my results. #By this time I had also got some else to test their unit and they had the same result. #But their unit was out of warranty. #So, this problem was not a new issue.

It took 6 weeks for them to get an answer from Japan. #And just wait until you read this &#39;technical expert&#39;s&#39; reply......

I received this from the US tech support person:
>Here is the answer I received from Japan. #Let me know >if this makes sense
> to you.
>
> Actually this is "no problem".
> ramtest command makes reset (clear) the ram first. So it indicates "RAM
> Reset&#33;&#33;"
> Then check the ram address and indicate "ERROR ADDRESS 00def0f". This
> means there is not data at this address. So Ram was cleared (Reset).
> So ERROR means not error, just no data.
>
> Note.
> After ramreset you must turn off and on the radio.
>
>
> *********************
> cmd:ramtest
> RAM Reset&#33;&#33;
> ERROR ADDRESS 000def0f
> 128KBytes OK
> 128KBytes OK
> *********************

Of course I wrote him and advised it did not "make sense" to me. #And my radio is still locking up on occasion. #How do you like the factory&#39;s comment? "So ERROR means not error..."? #It is like saying &#39;good&#39; is &#39;bad&#39;. #I never did get a resolution. #It still locks up occasionally when a user is leaving a message. #So ERROR IS probably an error. #

Later I found out Kenwood will not sell you the remote faceplate control for the D700. #So, if someone steals it, or it fails, you don&#39;t have a radio. #And just 1 month out of warranty, the display is going dark. #And when it goes out, I&#39;ll throw it in the trash before I give Kenwood a dime to have them fix it. #It has never been run mobile. #

I also own 2 Kenwood HF radios, but do not intend to purchase another. #I was just about to buy a new HF rig when I received the &#39;intelligent&#39; response from Kenwood. #With the feature integration, the TS-2000 was going to be my choice. #When I received this letter, I went to HRO and bought a YAESU the next day. #

After 14 months the YAESU is still performing well. #No trips back to the factory, and I only opened the case once to adjust the ref osc. #I found a couple of errors in the manual, and had to make two calls to tech support. #BOTH calls were answered expeditiously and accurately. #BOTH responses resolved my issue with minimum difficulty. #That&#39;s all I expect from any supplier, in warranty. #I am thus far a satisfied YAESU customer.

My committment to Kenwood was to tell all about my experience with their firm&#39;s technical support. #I have attempted to live up to my committment. #I hope your experience with Kenwood will be better than mine.

KH

Midwest
07-28-2002, 12:29 PM
I find it amazing that this many customers who have studied electronics actually send their radios to someone else to repair. With the excellent service manuals available, service bulletins available on-line, and a little curiosity, repairing one&#39;s own gear can be an enjoyable part of the hobby. # # # 73

N5JOB
07-28-2002, 04:56 PM
Remember, in this day and age, most companies want one thing. #YOUR MONEY. #Their interest in you ends there.

K0CSD
07-28-2002, 08:50 PM
Well, this is the first time I&#39;ve spent the time to read inputs from owners of amateur gear so I find it all pretty interesting regarding the remarks about Kenwood. I&#39;ve personally never owned Kenwood gear because most of their prices are not competitive. However, having been a Ham for 47 years and in the customer service business for 44 years, I feel that, with the exception of Ten-Tec, the majority of amateur gear manufacturing companies offer marginal service, in the warrenty, repair and replacement part category. And as long as the Amateur Radio Community continues to purchase their products, I&#39;m afraid this will continue to be the case.

KD5SHW
07-28-2002, 09:49 PM
I&#39;m searching around for a HF transceiver and I&#39;m looking at all the specs and I find the kenwood transceivers to be inferior mainly in the places of sensitivity and dynamic range.

Right now I&#39;m leaning towards Yaesu rigs but Icom is giving some competition.

AC7EL
07-29-2002, 02:04 AM
I don&#39;t blame Kenwood for not honoring a warranty on a re-sold unit. #Most warranties only go to the original buyer unless specifically stated otherwise.

As for whether Kenwood makes good radios, you can&#39;t judge that by one radio. Any manufacturer can make an occasional bad unit.

My experience:

My two Kenwood radios, a 1-year-old TM-V7A mobile and a new TH-F6 handheld, are working well (except the V7A&#39;s blue screen is temperature sensitive).

My two ICOM HF radios (3-yr old IC-746 and 2-yr old IC-706MKIIG) also work well.

But my Yaesus are another matter. #On my 4-yr old FT-50R handheld, the frequency knob is intermittent, and has been for 2 years. #On my 3-yr old FT-8500 mobile, the bottom half of the display is blank. #On my 3-yr old FT-8100 mobile, the mike cable became intermittent, and this unit was only used in the house.

Dick, AC7EL

N3BHE
07-29-2002, 03:33 AM
http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif A couple of years ago I had a bad experience with the East #Coast Kenwood Service Center. #I sent my TS430S to them for a transmit problem, after about three weeks I received it back with a &#036;65 or &#036;75 charge and a note saying "not worth repairing".
I found AVVid located in Irving Texas who was very helpfull. #He replaced &#036;61 in parts (transistors etc, in final), put in a mod in finals to eliminate potential jump in power level problem, realigned TX & RX to factory specs and shipped back to me in MD, all for &#036;174 and the rig has never worked better thanks to Cliff at
www.avvid.com

WD5DPW
07-29-2002, 06:42 AM
you know if everyone would have posted this in the reviews section,we all would have had a better picture of this radio, or even read the reviews on this radio before buying it and realizing its possable the display problem will happen. yea.. the chance the display would be bad one day maybe.. some folks even posted about this&#33;. I think kenwood is still the better of most of the radios out there.. just read about all the problems with the yaesu&#39;s&#33; I read the review on the V7A, and selected the TM-G707, WHy? the best rating by the users,, I didnt want a &#036;400 radio ( even if it was under warranty ) to go bad when chasing a storm or worse a tornado, and the reviews here prove correct. The 707 has never failed me. display is great.. my advise is use this web site before you buy&#33; it may keep you from complaining about a radio in the future..

KD5PXU
07-29-2002, 02:24 PM
Hi all,I am too dissatified with kenwood our club bought a kenwood ts2000x and when we went to install the psk
like the manual said we didn&#39;t get enough audio out of the aux. jack.so when I called kenwood they told me to send it in to them.To me it seems they don&#39;t have a very good customer service dept.So we ended up using the headphone jack.If I had a choice I would have bought an
Icom or Yeasu..

KD5PXU http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

07-29-2002, 07:02 PM
The Kenwood "Authorized Service Center" in Cerritos CA certainly has problems trying to fix TM742A Tri-banders. Mine made 5 trips there before it was finally fixed. 2 problems: Constant hum on 440 rec and intermittent cutting out on 440 xmit. The xmit problem was fixed on the 2nd attempt but it was 3 more trips before the humming problem was fixed. I should have just gone to HRO and purchased a new 440 module. I would have saved a few &#036;&#036;&#036; and not been without a radio for 2 months... Dwight KE6JUA

KG4KBU
07-29-2002, 07:45 PM
[B]I MOSTLY DEAL WITH KENWOOD COMMERCIAL RADIOS AND THEY SEEM TO DO ME GOOD BUT U CANT REALLY TRUST ANY RADIOS THESE DAYS IN TIME. I DONT CARE TOO MUCH ABOUT THE YAESU RADIOS EITHER BUT THATS JUST ME http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif MY SITE IS http://shawndalecowden.tripod.com/shawncowden PLEASE VISIT IT AND DONT FORGET TO SIGN MY GUESTBOOK THANKS AND 73&#39;S

SHAWN COWDEN
KG4KBU LONDON, KENTUCKYMy Webpage (http://shawndalecowden.tripod.com/shawncowden)

W5QC
07-30-2002, 02:47 AM
Hello,
I would like to say that I have had several Kenwoods and Yaesu&#39;s and they are both fine radios. I have never had an Icom but have heard nothing bad about them. I have a Kenwood TS-440 for a HF rig and it is ~13 yrs old, about 4 yrs ago I had trouble with the receive and the display. I paid a local tech 150.00 to repair it but when I got it back it was still broke. I sent it to Kenwood in LA for repair and they had it ~1 week and when I got it back I believe it was better then it was new. They only charged me 100.00, and they were real friendly to do business with. I will buy Yaesu when they have something I want but Kenwood I believe still makes good equip.

KB2SNE
07-30-2002, 03:28 AM
BUY AMERICAN&#33;&#33;&#33; #TENTEC IS THUMBS UP IN MY BOOK.
MY TIMEBASE OSCILLATOR BOARD IN MY OMNI-D FROM
1981 DIED AND THOSE FANTABULOUS FOLKS DOWN IN
TENNESSE SENT ME THE SUSPECT COMPONENTS FOR
FREE. #NOW......HOW CAN YOU BEAT THAT ON A 20+ YEAR OLD RIG&#33;&#33;&#33;JAPAN MUST STILL BE PISSED OFF
AT US ABOUT THE WHOLE BOMB THING.

KB2SNE

WD8KND
07-30-2002, 01:19 PM
I have owned 7 Kenwood radios over the years and only had problems with one of them. The people at Kenwood went above and beyond what needed to be done to take care of it. I still have 2 HT&#39;s, a mobile VHF and HF and also a TS-950SDX.
Call customer support and ask for Leo. maybe he can help you.
Good Luck http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

WB8VLC
07-30-2002, 06:41 PM
You said you purchased it from a buddy, well then how about asking him for a refund since it seems to have died so soon after you purchased it. The warranty for most products that I have typically says it is only valid for the original purchaser and not transferable.

Mike
wb8vlc/7

WA4VRV
07-30-2002, 10:23 PM
I have had just the opposite response from Kenwood over the years. #I have 3 TM-V7A&#39;s and just had a mic PTT go bad after owning it since Kenwood came out with this rig. #Received not one but 4 new PTT&#39;s 3 days after I sent an email to Tech Support.

Of course, I purchased these rigs "NEW". #I also have the TH-79A as well as a TS-2000. #

The guys at Tech Support have always been very friendly over the phone and I have met all of the at some of the larger ham fests over the years.

I agree with an earlier posting where you should have your friend you purchased this from make it right.

Oh, I have 2 mobile TM-V7A&#39;s and one as my base unit. #I have not had the problem with the lines in the display to date. #But, I have seen postings in another place where a few people have had that happen. #This is not a LARGE SCALE problem.

Perhaps you should package it up and send it to the President of Kenwood in Japan like one of the other postings&#33;

Good Luclk&#33;

KD5NTL
07-31-2002, 04:04 AM
I&#39;ve my kenwood tmv-7a since april and have since had to send it in for repairs. and when i recieved it back it worked better than b/4.
I also have a icom 2100 h, that i use for my mobile. and have had to send it back to icom america in bellvue wa twice for the same problem. it appears they found the problem,(bad transister) replaced tried it and burned the same transister, again replaced it didn&#39;t try and send back. so now this radio which is still under warrentee til 10 aug has 2 1/2 weeks with the post office, 2 months with icom, and having to use my kenwood th-79a ht for a mobile. and i&#39;ve said i&#39;ll never buy another icom and after repairs are made correctly will probably sell it and get another tmv for the mobile.
I also have a feeling that when i get the radio back it still won&#39;t be repaired right, and will be told that it is no longer under warrentee. So i&#39;ll have to have it repaired at my cost. it that&#39;s the case i&#39;ll never have a icom again in my shack unless i use it for a paper weight or door stop&#33;&#33; 73&#39;s

KD5NTL
07-31-2002, 04:05 AM
I&#39;ve my kenwood tmv-7a since april and have since had to send it in for repairs. and when i recieved it back it worked better than b/4.
I also have a icom 2100 h, that i use for my mobile. and have had to send it back to icom america in bellvue wa twice for the same problem. it appears they found the problem,(bad transister) replaced tried it and burned the same transister, again replaced it didn&#39;t try and send back. so now this radio which is still under warrentee til 10 aug has 2 1/2 weeks with the post office, 2 months with icom, and having to use my kenwood th-79a ht for a mobile. and i&#39;ve said i&#39;ll never buy another icom and after repairs are made correctly will probably sell it and get another tmv for the mobile.
I also have a feeling that when i get the radio back it still won&#39;t be repaired right, and will be told that it is no longer under warrentee. So i&#39;ll have to have it repaired at my cost. it that&#39;s the case i&#39;ll never have a icom again in my shack unless i use it for a paper weight or door stop&#33;&#33; 73&#39;s

W4WVA
08-02-2002, 02:51 AM
I have owned them all and they all have their own problems but if you want service representation you people need to wake up and take a long hard look at TenTec equipment. Built, sold and serviced right here in the good old USA.
They even offer a full warranty on their demo equipment and a limited warranty on their used equipment. And if you buy their stuff from someone else, if you have a problem with it they are more than happy to fix it for a reasonable price and the turn around time is amazing. I called them a while back to purchase a piece of used gear and it was on my doorstep the next evening. I have sent them stuff with no warning and it was back in two weeks working perfectly. BUY AMERICAN&#33;
God bless the US&#33; 73 de Ed W4WVW

KB7RQQ
08-02-2002, 04:37 AM
I will personaly never buy another Kenwood radio because of similar problems. I have had two Kenwood radios bought (new) over the past 10 years that have had display problems... the most recent is a dual band handheld (TH79AD) that the display flickers on now. You call them and they are very little help. Poor design/big price for a name.

Todd KB7RQQ

W2MB
08-05-2002, 03:23 AM
I&#39;ve found Kenwood Service East to be very customer service oriented over the years. They have provided me with out of warranty, no-charge service twice. Sometimes it pays to be diplomatic when you are dealing with these companies, remember, they do value their reputations...

KC8PBS
08-08-2002, 06:16 AM
I bought a new Yaesu FT-100D. Had a high SWR even into a dummy load. Also, fans would not kick on when the radio was set to a freq above 70.5 MHz. WFM was deaf to a signal of even 1v p-p when set below 70.5 mhz&#33; Returned it for a new one. Same thing. These radios went from design to production without any testing. ALL FT-100D&#39;s require factory modification to correct some of these problems (they only correct fan and SWR), but there has been no recall on this radio. After spending a thousand dollars on garbage and having NOT ONE returned phone call from Vertex/Standard, it just may be worth it to get some folks together and file a class action lawsuit. Also, your state may have consumer protection laws that warrant your radio longer than the warranty card says (and this warranty follows the radio, not just the original owner). Check with your state attorney general&#39;s office. It&#39;s worth the call. With regards to Kenwood, they sent me replacement parts factory direct without even asking for the warranty information AND THEY PAID FOR SHIPPING&#33; All they asked was where I got the radio and when I got it. The hams that got calls back from Vertex/Standard said
A:it had to be done at the factory
B:it would take 2-4 months to fix their radios
C:the warranty would lapse and not be extended even though the radio was at the factory for the first half of the warranty.

w4gdx
08-08-2002, 10:58 AM
I will also avoid Kenwood radios in the future after learning my lesson with a new th 79a and a new tm 251. Both have failed displays, and due to high repair cost, bought new equipment. My friend&#39;s tm 241 also has failed display. I use Ten Tec hf gear and will stay with them because of great customer service. I also like my radio shack 2 meter mobiles better than the Kenwood, and both of them cost less than the one Kenwood.
73.... mike

W6AG
08-11-2002, 03:28 PM
I have owned practically all Kenwoods since they first came to America...distributed by Henry Radio.
At first their service was above reproach, with actual technicians availale to talk to you on the phone, and actually tell you what to do, or invite you to send the radio in.
For about the last ten years or so,their service has apparently been the victim of corporate &#39;bean-counters&#39; downsizing. #I have had more than one Kenwood set refused as "unfixable," which I then sent to A.E.S. in Las Vegas; where it was promptly fixed for &#036;50 or so.
My last episode occurred only this year, when my TS950 was "repaired" (TWICE&#33;) by Kenwood after several months,(&#33;) at a cost of several hundred dollars.
This time I sent it to International radio in Florida, and, though they also took a long time...finally sent it back, fixed. They happened to state that they fixed the SAME part that Kenwood claimed to have fixed.
All in all, I am still using Kenwood equipment, but I will not be buying any more. www.redblanchard.com #W6AG

W0KRB
08-11-2002, 08:14 PM
Bought TM-V7A in Mar 98. Liked it and got one as a base in Aug of 98. Wife got her license and got her one Jun 99. Aside from the "cool blue" being hard to read in the sunlight the rigs work great. I took the one out of my car and put it in the wife&#39;s office and got a D700A -- Love it. Best radio yet. Bought a 2nd one to use for APRS in the car. Beautiful radio. The V7A in my wife&#39;s car has one side set up for APRS.
I also purchased a TM 261A (MAR 01) and it has been running 24/7 as a APRS gateway radio with no problems.

I also have a 756 pro as well as some Icom HT&#39;s. But even the icom HT&#39;s don&#39;t compare to the Kenwood D7 HT.

K6EGW
08-13-2002, 05:38 PM
Let me be the last to say that Kenwood rules.
I have had only Kenwoods&#39;.Two: a 430 and 440. They all worked fine and I sit at Honor roll CW and mixed with a 440.

This criticism is out of hand. But I do want you to buy those Icoms&#39;s, etc, as they sound like crap.

One happy Kenwood user. http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif #http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

WM4RT
09-09-2002, 05:20 PM
I own a Kenwood TM-V7A(1 year) and TM-261A(since it came came on the market)which I have not had any problems. I live in South Carolina with the heat and humidity and the units works a champ. I also own a TH-22AT which stills works like when bought in 1996. I am planning on getting an HF rig soon, that how much I like Kenwood. http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

K4YBB
09-12-2002, 03:12 AM
Kenmore dealers hype their products withoout knowing what the are hyping. case in point. I bought a TS-570 being told by the dealer that the radio had a real good DSP. Well it turns out that yes there is a funky form of AUDIO DSP but the IF DSP that I was lead to believe was there and was JUST #like the ICOM 756 PRO is a figment of the dealers imagination. I have always bought ICOM up to this purchase of the TS-570 Kenmore and you can best believe any and ALL future purchases will be ICOM and ONLY ICOM. One Kenmore has been more than enough to cure me from ever looking at any radio other than ICOM &#33; &#33; &#33; &#33; &#33; &#33; &#33; &#33; &#33; &#33;

KD5NNS
04-12-2008, 09:38 PM
The display was a very bad design, and Kenwood will not do any thing about it. It is out of warrenty, but they should do something about the design of the display. It is a very good radio otherwise.

N2QOJ
06-03-2010, 10:08 PM
It's been about 8 years since I asked you this question. Do you have a response yet?

Joe, N2QOJ :eek:

To N9PAR,

Why don't you have your buddy send it in for repair, then let us know how Kenwood service performed?

N2QOJ

ad: fan-nan