PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood TS-570

07-04-2002, 01:53 PM
<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>I&#39;ve</span> been using my 570 now for about three months. #Here&#39;s some of my observations - as a primarily CW operator, I think that this rig was designed primarily for SSB work. #The receiver is good but only after you buy the additional CW filter. #After using the rig for about two months, I had to go out and buy the additional 500 CW filter. #Without the filter, the front-end is so easily overloaded by strong nearby signals. #It&#39;s so wide without the filter that you can&#39;t even hear the signal that&#39;s overloading you - you can see it on the meter and the automatic AGC will drop out any of the weaker signals. #With the filter, the problem was solved. #Sometimes, DSP can&#39;t keep up with the good ol&#39; mechanical filters.

There&#39;s another thing, the AGC - I&#39;d like to be able to turn it off, not just from slow to fast.

The digital noise reduction (NR2) which they recommend for CW work, seems to have a ringing sound just at the same frequency as the CW pitch. #I find I have to tune up or down a bit to better hear the signal I&#39;m working. #

Some of you may like having knobs on the front to control everything. #If you do, or are uncomfortable with doing the menu thing, then this may cause you some discomfort. #You get used to it in short order, but nearly everything is menu driven. #

I&#39;m getting used to the DSP, but I miss a good ol&#39; notch filter. #But it&#39;s got this really, really neat thing called a beat filter for SSB. #Seriously, if you have a heterodyne going on while on SSB, just push the button and <span style='color:GREEN'>presto</span> it&#39;s gone&#33; #Only wish the CW auto tune worked as well - that button will get dusty on my rig. #

Overall, I&#39;m happy with it. #Keep in mind, it&#39;s not a top end rig, but it&#39;s worth the 900+&#036; they ask. #I&#39;ll keep it and will someday upgrade to a higher level rig (when I get the money scraped together). #Hmmm - #Kenwood or Icom?

Any other experiences/comments from you folks?

W0LPQ
07-04-2002, 04:23 PM
I have a 570SG, which gets me 100 Watts on 6M. The only reason I have the 570. Other rigs are the Collins S-3 Line and KWM-2A. S-3 is nice on CW. Love the Rejection Tuning. Good notch that the 570 does not even come close to.

Bill, W0LPQ

W5ATX
07-20-2002, 02:56 PM
I used a TS570 on Field Day. #I was sorely UNimpressed with it. #Everything the original poster on this thread said is what I also experienced. #Unfortunately, the rig I used DID have the narrow CW filter, and it was still awful. #PATHETIC is more like it. #I&#39;d rate it one of the absolute worst receivers I&#39;ve used. #And I&#39;ve used some junk in my 28 year ham and commercial career. #

All of the things &quot;guest&quot; mentioned add up to a receiver that cannot be called &quot;good&quot; by any definition. #And one should not have to buy options just to make it work reasonably well. #That&#39;s like saying the car you just bought is pretty good after you buy the optional transmission. #And anyway, as I found, the CW filter didn&#39;t make it better enough to be called anything but crummy. #True though, without the filter it is even worse. #

I hate bashing Kenwood, as I enjoyed my TS440 - it was a great rig, except for the epoxy failure on the VCO board that has been well documented on this board. #But this 570 is a dog - it was sure barking at me on FD.

Sorry Kenwood, do better.

Chris

KB0VVK
02-22-2003, 10:35 PM
I have a Kenwood 570S just wish it could take two filters http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

KD8K
05-22-2003, 05:10 PM
I think this is a good Radio in the Price Range. It only has Audio DSP (Not IF) so in my opionion, a lot of what appears as front in overload is in fact the audio DSP doing its thing to close signals, but because it is only audio DSP the AGC and S meter still reacts to the signal A CW filter does help a lot. Its not a high end radio, but for &#036;800.00 or so it is a good value.

N3ZAT
12-24-2006, 05:07 PM
I HAVE USED THIS RADIO FOR 9 YRS AND HAVE RECIEVED AND SENT CW ALL OVER THE WORLD GREAT RIG .

YB0NHR
12-24-2006, 11:11 PM
Overal this radio is excellent but if your antenna not matched (SWR meter 2) the internal tuner will reduced your trasnsmit power alot.

n1ydx
12-25-2006, 04:38 AM
Been using a TS570D since Aug of this year. Outstanding results in CW which is my primary mode.

Weak signals can be amplified, if you want to call it that by the N.R. button which jumps 1 to 2. With the RIT on and a weak signal, you can add the echo effect mentioned above but it also brings up the audio level.

Have found no good use for the DS knobs but using attenuation and Fine Tuning along with the Filter from 2K down to 150 is great.

All I need to hear is a weak signal and by the time he finishes his/her CQ CQ I&#39;ve got the station zeroed and working them even taking out my heading aids and putting on head phones.

Overall a very nice operating rig compared to my previous TS530S, TS930S and a TS430S.

CW tuner works great but not always on the first push. I find it will get auto tune very close to what I tune with ear.

Now if I can just learn how to use split operation.

N1YDX - Lee

W0NBP
08-17-2007, 06:06 AM
I have had my TS-570 for about 6 months and for the most part it has worked very well. I am not in an urban setting with a lot of QRM or man made interference. I have worked CW and SSB and Digital. All seem to work very well on this rig.

I am a MARS op and decided to do the MARS mod and use it on the MARS nets. Finished the mod and tried to tune it up on the MARS frequencies and the autotuner would not tune. Checked everything out and still would not tune. Checked antenna it is ok.

Checked with Milton Lord N4DA who is a very good Kenwood tech and he tells me that because of the very tight band pass filters in the late model TS-570 they will not autotune out of band.

Kenwood tells me the same. But says I can use an external tuner to achieve my objective. I have a Kenwood AT-130 and with the autotuner out, it still will not tune.

So will be selling the TS-570D(G) and looking for an old TS-950SDX or TS-870S to replace it with.

Other than that it has been a pretty good rig. Had a TS-450SAT before this and now am sorry I sold it.

Bill W0NBP

ad: PortRo-1